• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Guys, shooting steel that is not flat is asking for trouble. Those dimples and welded spots are going to send bullets, splatter, jackets back at the shooter. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will happen, it will be unpleasant, and someone will get hurt.

Those dimples and craters will but I've never seen a bump do it. I don't see how it possibly could and I've shot them from as little as 10 yards away. I have had a little splatter come back even off flat ones up that close. I'd recomend safety glass for any thing, including 22's, when shooting any kind of steel at less than 25 yards but nothing I think would break the skin.

3/8 mild steel
    LeadSteel12.jpg

I've shot some steel before at different ranges, thickness, and with several calibre rifles and hand guns.

Last edited:

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Unfortunately I don't have access to what I would need to make my own.

Does anyone have any experience with the gentleman that is always at the 1500 in the last bldg? He seems to have some nice stuff and fairly reasonably priced, or am I wrong?

Thanks

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    1: Indy needs a creek

2: Anyone want to see how these will take 30-06 FMJs at longer ranges (like 300-400 yards)?

3: Did anyone mention a way to get the railroad ties, or is it as simple as finding old ones along tracks?

Definitely a project I need to do.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    1: Indy needs a creek

2: Anyone want to see how these will take 30-06 FMJs at longer ranges (like 300-400 yards)?

3: Did anyone mention a way to get the railroad ties, or is it as simple as finding old ones along tracks?

Definitely a project I need to do.

30-06 will go straight through these at less than 300 yards more than likely and make them useless in short order.... will crater them severely at longer distances making them unsafe for closer ranges with pistols... my 6 inch pop up is ar500 steel and can handle your 30-05 at 300 plus ranges.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok thanks for that info, ya its what I was guessing but thought id check and see. I need one for plinking with the 38 though.

I don't think a 38 special would put a scratch on these rail plates at any distance.

You can buy that small diameter mild steel rod about any where and bend it to make hooks with nothing but hitch ball on a bumper or a couple pieces of pipe in a vise. Just put the hook through the spike hole in the plate then and hang it about any where you want to shoot.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    $10 at Home Depot

Do they come with the steel plates? I think that's what 22lr is wanting from them.

22lr-
    Just today I pulled 3 plates off some railroad ties I'm using to make my backstop. If you want them I'd be more than happy to send them you're way if you'd be willing to pay shipping. I'm not sure how much they weigh a piece, so 3 of them may be quite costly to ship. Just figured I'd throw it out there for you. ;)

Top Bottom