• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    WV. ;)

IN already recognizes every state's carry licenses.

Correct. WV can enter into agreements with other states and they do. I had the Lt. Governor's office and ISP in an email conversation with the WV attorney general's office a couple of years ago. I noted that they recognized Pennsylvania, which also has no training requirement, but WV came back claiming that PA's laws were stricter than ours, thus they would recognize their permit, but not ours.

In short, they still think that more laws and stricter rules are what limit criminal activity, not a general tendency of the person him/herself.

Foszoe, I'd suggest working on WV legislators via your family, and meanwhile, getting the UT CFP so that you're recognized in OH and WV.

Blessings,
    Bill

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Foszoe, I'd suggest working on WV legislators via your family, and meanwhile, getting the UT CFP so that you're recognized in OH and WV.
    Blessings,
    Bill

Yes I am beginning to think that is the route to go too. I wonder if the hold up for IN residents is that we do not have a safety training course? I like to be law abiding as much as my knowledge base allows. I don't like having to be licensed to carry but if licencing is a requirement anyway, maybe we should have some sort of "endorsement" option where we complete a safety/training course and a licensee with endorsement could carry in as many states as UT?

I am getting curious now as to why UT is so widely recognized ie what do they do that gets them in that position. However I can hear the grass still growing and better leave that curiosity unsatiated for now.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    With all due respect, that would be a terrible idea for several reasons, not the least of which is that training requirements are expensive, both in time and money, they allow a state to limit people by limiting how many classes are available. Not only that, there is no appreciable statistical difference in accident or crime rates between states with and without such requirements.
    Note as well that classes are available now. Those who choose to attend them learn from them. Those who do not would just sit through them, gaining nothing. (reference "defensive driving" classes.)
    Addressing as well, the fact that if we begin appeasing other states, where will it stop? If we allow a training requirement (or even an "optional" that would later probably become mandatory), we could soon be told that ours was not enough, that we need to have an expiration date on it, or the example I've quoted often, that WA state won't recognize our LTCH because we issue it to those under 21, not to mention the risk of us getting an anti-gun legislature and giving them the means by which they can quickly invalidate any and all (including "lifetime") licenses.
    Lastly, the very idea of requiring some arbitrary training standard to exercise a fundamental, natural right is repugnant.

The answer is to have others loosen their laws, not making ours more strict.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I forgot to address why Utah is so widely recognized? They have a training requiremnt... it's four hours, sitting in a classroom. You never touch a firearm. You learn about Utah's laws on use of force and a little bit about firearm terminology.

Oh, and some states that used to recognize it, among them NM and NV, no longer do, at least in part because their training doesn't include live fire.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was under the impression that Texas does not allow Open Carry... but they do recognize our license? So when I go to Texas this summer/fall, am I not allowed to OC?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was under the impression that Texas does not allow Open Carry... but they do recognize our license? So when I go to Texas this summer/fall, am I not allowed to OC?

The best answer is Yes, but No...

Texas has some interesting Firearms Laws. Research and follow them, you'll be just fine.

While a State may Recognize Our License, that does not mean we are allowed to follow Our States Rules there. You have to follow the Rules, Policies, Regulations, and Laws of the States you will be in...

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yep. CO, FL, KS, MI, NH, SC, and WV only recognize resident permits for any of the states they recognize. Of those seven, only KS, SC, and WV do not recognize ours.

Blessings,
    B

I was in Kansas a few weeks ago at Cabelas......there is talk that they may be changing the KS statute, to recognize more state permits. IN would be one.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was in Kansas a few weeks ago at Cabelas......there is talk that they may be changing the KS statute, to recognize more state permits. IN would be one.

That quote is from 2008. KS now recognizes non-resident permits. They still do not recognize ours, resident or non-resident, nor do they recognize Utah, though it would be very good to see them add us.

CO, FL, MI, NH, and SC (and possibly ME) are the ones that do not recognize non-resident permission slips now. (7/2011)

Blessings,
    Bill

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    So what state's permit gives us the best bang for our buck? The states that are most important to me are in the northeast and Ohio.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So what state's permit gives us the best bang for our buck? The states that are most important to me are in the northeast and Ohio.
    You say the Northeast... Maine is exceptionally restrictive (they honor only a very few and only resident permits from those few), NH also only honors resident permits, though they'll accept more (including IN.) VT requires no permit of course. CT, MA, MD, NJ, NY, and RI honor none at all other than their own. OH will recognize FL or UT's permits (among others)

Right now, I hold a IN LTCH and a UT CFP. With those, I can carry (at present) in 34 states legally:

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA,
    KY, LA, MI, MS, MO, MT, NH, NC, ND, OK,
    PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, and WY on my LTCH (I'm hopeful that WI will honor ours also)

and

DE, MN, NE, OH, VA, WA, and WV on my CFP.

I'm considering getting the AZ permit as well to pick up KS, NM, and NV.

If we get WI, that leaves 5 others not yet mentioned, none of whom recognize either IN or any non-resident permits:

CA, HI, IL, OR, and SC

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    There are cards showing Indiana resiprosity for carry but has anyone ever seen a card with info about which states REQUIRE you to notify law enforcement that you are carrying (EG: a traffic stop), or where one can find that info? There are several states that require notification and any one who travels should probably know.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    There are cards showing Indiana resiprosity for carry but has anyone ever seen a card with info about which states REQUIRE you to notify law enforcement that you are carrying (EG: a traffic stop), or where one can find that info? There are several states that require notification and any one who travels should probably know.

Handgunlaw.us

You have to look state by state but it's all there.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    A question-Why doesn't Ohio honor our permits? And if they don't honor ours, should Indiana honor theirs?

By default, Indiana honors the permit of all other states. Ohio (and several others) do not honor Indiana's permit because of the relative ease by which an Indiana permit can be obtained. There is no test, no live fire requirement....nothing. You just pay your money and get a permit. Ohio has a much higher hurdle to jump to get their permit and they only honor a permit from states that they deem to have a satisfactory hurdle to jump.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    A question-Why doesn't Ohio honor our permits? And if they don't honor ours, should Indiana honor theirs?

Yes. Indiana for the most part respects the freedom, liberty, and right to carry a handgun, the requirement of getting a license to do so notwithstanding. That someone else does not does not mean we should change our rules to punish them. Instead, we should focus our efforts on correcting their laws, showing their legislators that we have very few incidents, perhaps even fewer per capita than do they, (though I've not checked whether that's fact or not.) If their legislators figure out that their state is losing tourism dollars, that might be another reason why they might change the laws. Regardless, our laws are mostly good, but also have room for improvement. Let's us concentrate on changing things for the better, not adding restrictions to anyone.

Blessings,
    Bill

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes. Indiana for the most part respects the freedom, liberty, and right to carry a handgun, the requirement of getting a license to do so notwithstanding. That someone else does not does not mean we should change our rules to punish them. Instead, we should focus our efforts on correcting their laws, showing their legislators that we have very few incidents, perhaps even fewer per capita than do they, (though I've not checked whether that's fact or not.) If their legislators figure out that their state is losing tourism dollars, that might be another reason why they might change the laws. Regardless, our laws are mostly good, but also have room for improvement. Let's us concentrate on changing things for the better, not adding restrictions to anyone.

Blessings,
    Bill

There's very little room for our laws to get much better :) I think the next step would just be "Constitutional Carry" for Indiana. Other than that, we're one of the freest states.

Top Bottom