• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes, I was talking specifically about Prophet's Town. I hunted it twice but its been a long time as I mentioned. I killed a small buck the first time and saw a nicer buck without getting a shot the second time both in the same location. IMO, it is one of the better State Parks to hunt, if only because you can get away from the idiots if your really want to.
    I saw two guys dragging does out of the very back last year.
    One was kind of small, the other was pretty good size.
    I'll bet they dragged those deer for close to a mile to get them to where a vehicle could get to them.
    The one that had the big doe used a plastic sled.
    The small buck guy was dragging it on the ground and by the time I saw them I think all of the hair was gone off of that side.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I saw two guys dragging does out of the very back last year.
    One was kind of small, the other was pretty good size.
    I'll bet they dragged those deer for close to a mile to get them to where a vehicle could get to them.
    The one that had the big doe used a plastic sled.
    The small buck guy was dragging it on the ground and by the time I saw them I think all of the hair was gone off of that side.
    Sounds like someone else found my spot or close to it then! I was looking at close to a mile drag on my buck with my stand and rifle on my back but lucked into an employee on a gator about half way back.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sounds like someone else found my spot or close to it then! I was looking at close to a mile drag on my buck with my stand and rifle on my back but lucked into an employee on a gator about half way back.
    I walked back that far before calling it a day.
    Really didn't want to drag one that far but thought I'd see what was out that way.
    I followed the circle around the perimeter of the park.
    I have seen the map several times but never really realized how big that place is.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I walked back that far before calling it a day.
    Really didn't want to drag one that far but thought I'd see what was out that way.
    I followed the circle around the perimeter of the park.
    I have seen the map several times but never really realized how big that place is.
    Yes, that back area alone is far bigger than I expected just from looking at the map. The first time I hunted it, I primarily wanted to get away from other hunters in a location most/everyone would be likely to overlook. I'd intended on going all the way back to the tree line along the river but found a lone tree big enough (barely) to put a stand on overlooking a the intersection of two long mowed lanes about 3/4ths of the way back.

That first time I ended up sitting on a large piece of driftwood that must have floated up during a flood because I could get higher up on it than I could the tree my stand was attached to, lol. The second time the tree had grown a bit and I could actually get my climber about 5' off the ground.

On the first hunt there were only 4 vehicles parked in the back lot and all of them were hunting up by the ponds. The second time there were close to 10 vehicles and they all seemed to be in the tree line by the GC. I had a nice buck run out of the wood line directly toward me on the second hunt but it disappeared in thick grass about 100 yards out. Apparently someone connected on it in one of the multi shot volleys from that woods as I saw two people tracking it about an hour later. Later, I had another decent buck cross the mowed path 150 yards to the west of me but it didn't stop long enough for a shot. Retrieving a deer wouldn't be too bad if you could use a cart but the tall grass you have to cross to get from one mown path to another makes that a no go.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    I know most of the public land areas allow handguns and muzzle loaders, but Prophet's Town dies not.
    I have hunted this area the last two times it was open and was unsuccessful, but have high hopes for this year.
    There really hasn’t been a lot Deer killed there in the last few years…..

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    (From another site)

Was at the safety briefing today at Big Oaks. If the government shuts down they will not be having the hunts during the shutdown time frame. Just wanted you all to be informed.

Top Bottom