• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I'm lifetime licensed to carry and thinking about hitting Harrison-Crawford State Park to take in some fall foliage. I'd like to tote my Single Six with hip holster on some of the trails. Questions:

Have any of you done the same in our state parks? If so, what have been other's reactions, or more importantly, park ranger's reactions? Panicked squeals followed by intense L.E.O. interrogations?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I open carried for a couple of hours at Harmonie State Park. Only thing I noticed is that my neighboring camper was very respectful.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Thank you for your responses. I went to the Harrison Crawford website and they were reminding hikers they should wear blaze orange during hunting season, which is right now. I guess I'll be just another guy with a gun when I go.

(My wife wants to go the Garden of the Gods in Illinois. Beautiful place but the gun would've had to stay home. I told her I preferred to stay in Indiana...to save on gas you know....)

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    we spent the weekend camping @ Salamonie....OC'd all weekend, not a problem at all. even got to discuss 2nd amendment with a couple liberal anti-gun types....they were actually respectful, and curious. i think they left with a changed outlook. even suggested they visit this site.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thank you for your responses. I went to the Harrison Crawford website and they were reminding hikers they should wear blaze orange during hunting season, which is right now. I guess I'll be just another guy with a gun when I go.

(My wife wants to go the Garden of the Gods in Illinois. Beautiful place but the gun would've had to stay home. I told her I preferred to stay in Indiana...to save on gas you know....)

Garden of the Gods is pretty, but unfortunately it is in Stallinois. Got to lock up the guns.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

I don't have anything useful to add to this thread other than... If you're in the mood for some GORGEOUS scenery, please try to make it to Garden of the Gods and/or Rim Rock in Southern Illinois. It's an easy drive from Evansville...and well worth it in my opinion.

-J-

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I hiked the trails in Harrison-Crawford today and open carried my Single Six the whole time. I did get a few wary glances from fellow hikers, but my cheerful demeanor seemed to win over a few. Just saying , "howdy, how are ya!" put most folks at ease.

Wear it open, follow the law and be polite. That's all it takes.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    we spent the weekend camping @ Salamonie....OC'd all weekend, not a problem at all. even got to discuss 2nd amendment with a couple liberal anti-gun types....they were actually respectful, and curious. i think they left with a changed outlook. even suggested they visit this site.

Good job representing our side.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Isn't Salamonie one of those parks that is ran by the Army Corp of Engineers?

Where did you camp up there? State Park or a private camp ground?

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I used to work for the Corps of Engineers at the Salamonie, but that was a lifetime ago. If it's still the same way, the Corps runs and cares for the dam and the campgrounds and other facilities are State DNR.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I can see that creating an issue where none needs to exist. It makes it difficult for the average joe to understand where it is specifically legal to carry.

Top Bottom