• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I have wanted to make knives for years. Today I finally decided to quit making excuses about not having the proper tools and dove in. After a quick stop at harbor freight, about an hour later my first blank was born. Took a few pics along the way for fun...

I learned a lot, and will post my lessons learned a little later on, but for now, enjoy these photos of my fun.

I made this wooden prototype a couple of months ago after coloring with my 5 year old daughter. She said, "that looks cool, go make it!" So I did.

I had to change up the design a bit because all I had was a piece of 1 1/2" flat stock of D2. The original design would have needed 2".

Last edited:

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Definitely keep it up! I'd love to be able to do that, finances stop me. But, I also have a bad time around knives...being a lefty sucks lol

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Did some grinding on the bevels and added a sharpening choil.

A little more grinding then it will be time to heat treat. I was planning on sending it off, but was recently offered to check out Kyle's shop of Daily Knives Shop and he offered to show me how to heat treat...

Klbeeks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    Wabas
    Very curious to see finished product.. I've always wanted to get into knife making. Just never really have the time!

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Welcome to knifemaking !!! I too started out in a similar way.
    Be careful ... one knife here and then another then before you know it,
    your hooked :D
    Enjoy your new found hobby !!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Small world, I went to high school and took drafting class with that guy. He's a nice dude. I believe he's fairly new to knife making as well. Seems like he's making some nice knives.

FYI, you can make a pretty nice furnace yourself for a couple hundred dollars. Google it, there's really not too much to it. Just wire up a PID controller and some heating coils. Make a box out of some high temp bricks, and you're off to the races.

A little more grinding then it will be time to heat treat. I was planning on sending it off, but was recently offered to check out Kyle's shop of Daily Knives Shop and he offered to show me how to heat treat...

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Very cool. Unfortunately some stuff at work kind of blew up in my face, an then for the last 3 weeks I have been really sick... Still working with doctors tring to figure out what's going on with me. It's involves my respiratory system so I'm slightly concerned that grinding on this steel may have something to do with it.... I will get this Knife finished asap.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Very cool. Unfortunately some stuff at work kind of blew up in my face, an then for the last 3 weeks I have been really sick... Still working with doctors tring to figure out what's going on with me. It's involves my respiratory system so I'm slightly concerned that grinding on this steel may have something to do with it.... I will get this Knife finished asap.

Hope you feel better soon. Definitely wear a mask. I'm terrible at remembering, but it makes a big difference when I do.

Top Bottom