• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    This is the "shoot-out" that a LEO informed me of yesterday at the funeral. He asked me to cover my sidearm because everyone was still on edge from this and with the current situation with the crazy protesters they didn't want a "man with a gun" call with all this still fresh. I asked if he was sure and asked the others standing around as well since Speedway had the ordinance against CC he said yes. He said after today go back to OC in Speedway.

Hmmn several topics here not sure if this is the right place to post? :dunno:
    Anyway I didn't have any issues covering my sidearm that is not the intent of this post I just wanted to post the news story about the standoff and it fits in with storey of how I came about this...

Stand-off: One in the hospital - WXIN

Speedway - Neighbors were evacuated from their homes after 26-year-old Anthony Russ barricaded himself in his apartment and refused to come out.

Russ reportedly started a fire in his apartment. The SWAT Team was called because Russ has a prior history of problems with police.

In the end, shots were fired and three tear gas canisters were used to subdue Russ.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is the "shoot-out" that a LEO informed me of yesterday at the funeral. He asked me to cover my sidearm because everyone was still on edge from this and with the current situation with the crazy protesters they didn't want a "man with a gun" call with all this still fresh. I asked if he was sure and asked the others standing around as well since Speedway had the ordinance against CC he said yes. He said after today go back to OC in Speedway.

Hmmn several topics here not sure if this is the right place to post? :dunno:
    Anyway I didn't have any issues covering my sidearm that is not the intent of this post I just wanted to post the news story about the standoff and it fits in with storey of how I came about this...

Stand-off: One in the hospital - WXIN

I have a problem with this. Often, LEOs have said, "If you have a problem with the law, contact your representative.", yet in this case, THIS officer specifically told you to break the law. Granted, the law in question is reportedly not enforced, but the report here is disturbing as it, to me, indicates that the law can be selectively placed in or out of force at the officer's whim or "discretion", to use the term of art.

Personally, I think a law requiring OC, requiring CC, make certain locations unlawful for any carry, etc., are all equally wrong and should all be equally repealed. (Note that the "etc.", refers to other, non-gun-related laws that fall into the category.)

I do not take issue with LEOs who say "Contact your representative"; they're addressing the question correctly, as it is not their job to write, only to enforce the laws. IMHO, the Speedway officers LB referenced exceeded their authority. I'm willing to change that opinion if someone can knowledgably and intelligently present facts, either here on the board or via PM, to make these actions both acceptable and lawful.

Blessings,
    Bill

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Officer had good common sense. Guns put people on edge, and with everyone already on edge it might be a good idea to cover up. Do I agree with this, no. But sometimes we cant all have things go the way we would like. I say officer had good common sense, something that more LEOs need.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What would make people less nervous the next day? If you were caught CCing and were arrested/cited, I wonder if the officer would have come to your defense after telling you to go against the ordinance?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Bill hit the nail on the head with his post. OP, I hope you write a letter of complaint to his department. If people get treated that way and don't complain, it only makes it harder to do the right thing later down the road.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I guess I was too ugly for the officer to ask me to cover up my sidearm. Or I just didn't look intimidating enough. I was there on the corner from about 11:55am till about 3:30 when everything wrapped up and noone asked me to cover up....kedie, panama, and bndrx were all there, my wife as well. Sorry you had to go thru that alone. I didnt know anything about it till after the procession and my wife told me about it....Like Bill and infidel said write the letter!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I didn't have a problem with him asking me to cover it up. He was not rude and wasn' being all hard he just let me know what had happened and told me that they prefered I cover it. I felt like it was my choice at that point and I went with covering it up. They were all standing on the opposite side of the street and they all were all in agreement so I didn't see any harm. I don't believe that if I said sorry to hear that and kept walking that there would have been a problem. All the Police I ran into that day were ok in my book. I put it back in my OWB when I left.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm glad he was cool with how he asked you, but the fact remains that the LEOs are (correctly) the first ones to tell you they don't write the laws, they just enforce them... yet in this situation, the one talking to you and the others on the street effectively changed the law, and no matter how you slice it, that's wrong. One correct action, IMHO, would have been to tell anyone who was panicky because they saw a MWAG, "Yes, that's the law here: If you carry in Speedway, the law says you must do so openly. If you don't like it, contact your city council."

I'm not questioning the officer's manners, just his/their (meaning that one and the others present) understanding of his job responsibilities.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

I didn't have a problem with him asking me to cover it up. He was not rude and wasn' being all hard he just let me know what had happened and told me that they prefered I cover it. I felt like it was my choice at that point and I went with covering it up. They were all standing on the opposite side of the street and they all were all in agreement so I didn't see any harm. I don't believe that if I said sorry to hear that and kept walking that there would have been a problem. All the Police I ran into that day were ok in my book. I put it back in my OWB when I left.

Thirty30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anthony was a good friend of mine for over 10 years. I knew him pretty well but still didn't know everything about him.
    He did have some mental problems, but in the short life he lived he never did anything violent before. EVER!

He stopped taking his med's and something went wrong. His family was not in the wrong for him living alone, He was a working, kind-hearted, christian man. He was very in touch with his spiritual self, and in his right mind, would have never thought of something like this.

To set the record straight, family on the scene stated it seemed as if he was shooting toward the laundry facility.
    He would not have missed the officers if his intention was shooting them!
    Another fault in the story is it was not 40 bullets, it was less.
    Also some stories do not make it clear, the prior incidences of them being out to his house was for loud music and welfare checks for the family to check on him.

So to sum it up, I personally think there might have a been a prior altercation or possible emotional issues, and without his medication, I truthfully do not know or understand if maybe he saw a sort of alternate reality or what.
    I know one of the last times I saw him I was visiting him and his puppy Ryder, whom he had gotten from me, and he seemed great.
    He was ready to start a family, and had his apartment, he seemed like he was happy. I just wish I had a chance to talk to him about why he stopped his medication.

And also, you could have met Anthony on the street, in church, or anywhere and he would have sparked a conversation with you. He would have spoke with kindness and intelligence. I'm almost POSITIVE he would have at least asked if you believed in god! LOL. You would have walked away from the conversation feeling like friends. You would never suspect he had any problems.

Also I understand debating the subject, but please keep in mind, no one can truly understand his situation. His own parents wrote a thank you letter to the police department, for how they handled the situation, and to apologize for the actions that their son took. The chief said under the circumstances that was a first. No one expected anything more or less, and no one is asking for sympathy, or rude unjustified statements.
    Please be respectful.

My heart goes out to his family, and I will keep them in my prayers!

Top Bottom