• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I also think starting with all of your magazines on a table are 1) not fun and 2) retarded.

Joe I shoot a match pretty much every weekend and I do a magazine(or in my case moonclips) on the table start maybe twice a year and this includes nationals which always includes this for SS and Revo. Doesn't happen often enough to even be on the radar for me. I did practice unloaded starts so I don't mind it at all in fact I just use it as something I can possibly gain some time on.
    :twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I personally prefer harder stages with hardcover and no shoots and longer shots thrown in. But when I RO these stages and have a newer shooter or a C or D class shooter that struggles with these stages it makes me hope it doesn't discourage them to badly.
    I don't mind some movement but if it is a long field course I won't be eager to pick up the timer and RO as I will only want to run one time especially if it is HOT. Long field courses that are spread out are hard on RO's not only running the shooter but the RO has to walk a lot to score every target.
    I prefer 28-32 round stages personally because if I'm driving 1 to 2.5 hours to a match and paying a entry fee I want to shoot as much as I can.
    I don't like low ports because I'm old and fat.

It is interesting to see the different match directors stages and usually you can tell what division they shoot by the stages they set up.
    It is tricky to set up challenging stages that doesn't crush and defeat the new shooters.

Like several have said before we have it good in our area with clubs that have great stages.
    I was the match director for the Area 5 in 1997 when it was at Deer Creek and it was (only)10 stages and I can tell you that the stages were no better than what everyone is shooting at monthly matches. In fact while I don't remember the stages I doubt if they were as good as what we are shooting locally every weekend.

Thanks to all the Match Directors and crews that help put the local matches on:yesway:.

I was there. The only thing you did not-so-well for that match was control the weather. It was WET! I was there when either you or Frances dropped one of your Caspian big sticks in a very deep puddle and you had to fish around for it.

Going prone in standing water was . . . uncomfortable!

I remember that match, it had some pretty good stages! it also had the "mix" of short courses etc. I had no idea you were the MD!

You were still "tactical" back then, weren't you?

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    I was there. The only thing you did not-so-well for that match was control the weather. It was WET! I was there when either you or Frances dropped one of your Caspian big sticks in a very deep puddle and you had to fish around for it.

Going prone in standing water was . . . uncomfortable!

You were still "tactical" back then, weren't you?

I was practically "Black Ops" back then!!!!!:laugh:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Had to be Frances looking for mag as I didn't get to shoot the match, way to much going on. I put 40 hours on my tractor that week moving TONS of mud and spreading gravel. We had 8" of rain that week but at least it quit raining Sunday so the super squad could shoot the match with unbagged targets and no water on their glasses or red dots. :rolleyes:

The only thing I remember about the stages was we had a standards and one stage had a rope to pull to open a window and required strong hand only shooting while holding window open with rope.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Had to be Frances looking for mag as I didn't get to shoot the match, way to much going on. I put 40 hours on my tractor that week moving TONS of mud and spreading gravel. We had 8" of rain that week but at least it quit raining Sunday so the super squad could shoot the match with unbagged targets and no water on their glasses or red dots. :rolleyes:

The only thing I remember about the stages was we had a standards and one stage had a rope to pull to open a window and required strong hand only shooting while holding window open with rope.

One stage was set up like a Western Saloon with swinning doors and wooden side walks around the side of the Saloon. It was a fun match even with all the hay put down to soak up the rain and the MUD!!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was practically "Black Ops" back then!!!!!:laugh:

Heh! I remember . . . I was a total gamer by comparison.

Sounds like she dropped it, but I remember you looking for it! In 1997, a mag like that was worth more than its weight in gold!

I shot on Saturday . . . in the rain. I think my undies are still damp. The SS Classic that year had similar rain.

I also recall that some of the bays were brand new and built so you could host the section match. I wish we could still shoot USPSA there because it's a great facility.

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    That's awesome to have more folks helping design / build stages. There is a learning curve there. I know I regret a couple of a my first stages (not saying anyone should feel bad about acc's this weekend, I enjoyed them all even if I did shoot them like crap). It's hard to make everyone happy and follow the millions rules on course design.

Thanks for stepping up and you're off to a great start!

-rvb

I am on the learning curve but Daniel looked them over and declared they met the rules of the game. I design based on what I am working on at the time as far as my practice. The stage met my spec. After that tell me what is a bad stage and good stage? It seems to me that at that point it depends on the court of public opinion (which doesn't factor into my life). My goal is to be good at shooting high level stages. We also shot the stage that everyone loved so much from this weekend tonight at practice. We found that that stage could be shot so many different ways. Say what you want but Longbeard hit a homer there. Ask the GM that was there shooting tonight. So, I'm led to believe that once a stage hits the rules for stage design it could be crap it could be stellar-depending on the shooter shooting the stage. Educate me.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Maybe a bit off topic but I saw a great idea for setting up walls, using 5 gal buckets with four sections of probably 2" PVC tied together in the bucket with quickcrete poured around them so that sections of walls could be put up in nearly any direction very quickly without any stakes and very few if any screws. The walls have to be made to fit the PVC from the start but man what a time saver it was setting up and tearing down.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I am on the learning curve but Daniel looked them over and declared they met the rules of the game. I design based on what I am working on at the time as far as my practice. The stage met my spec. After that tell me what is a bad stage and good stage? It seems to me that at that point it depends on the court of public opinion (which doesn't factor into my life). My goal is to be good at shooting high level stages. We also shot the stage that everyone loved so much from this weekend tonight at practice. We found that that stage could be shot so many different ways. Say what you want but Longbeard hit a homer there. Ask the GM that was there shooting tonight. So, I'm led to believe that once a stage hits the rules for stage design it could be crap it could be stellar-depending on the shooter shooting the stage. Educate me.

I honestly wasn't criticizing. I mean what I say; and I enjoyed them all.

longbeard made a comment about still learning, and I acknowledged there is a learning curve involved. Meant nothing more.

what you say about being crap or stellar depending on the shooter is exactly what I meant when I said you can't make everyone happy.

good job this weekend, imo.

-rvb

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I honestly wasn't criticizing. I mean what I say; and I enjoyed them all.

longbeard made a comment about still learning, and I acknowledged there is a learning curve involved. Meant nothing more.

what you say about being crap or stellar depending on the shooter is exactly what I meant when I said you can't make everyone happy.

good job this weekend, imo.

-rvb

I didn't mean to come across defensive. I'm not at all. I was curious to understand what you meant by learning curve. I think you and your crew put on a great match. Your stages are enjoyable. Thanks for the accolades. From you that means quite a bit.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    USPSA is a competitive shooing sport.

If a club has good sized bays and wants to use the available space for a stage, then I say GO FOR IT!!

I enjoy the long stages, with mixed targets, and varying shooting positions. I think the challenges make us better shooters/competitors.

And to the guys that are new at building stages: I think you're doing a great job. We NEED people who can bring new ideas to the sport. That's what keeps shooters interested.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    The best matches are typically the matches where you have multiple people designing the stages. Not because one person can't design a bunch of good stages, but different shooters have different perspectives and ideas. Too much of the same thing can get routine. Having more people contribute just increases the variety. Plus it is a big help/relief to the folks that have been doing it for a while.

I don't think I've ever been upset because I didn't like one stage. I have been upset when a match was all the same thing. That's when I usually start thinking of shooting somewhere else.

Top Bottom