• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I was shooting a steel match this weekend and was chatting with one of the members of my squad and he made a comment that he had been using small RIFLE primers instead of small PISTOL primers when he reloaded. Is this safe or a good idea?? :dunno:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've heard a few folks doing this, and it is typically those that also reload a lot of rifle rounds, hence have a stock of SR primers around. It is more or less a way to commonize and prevent accidentally swapping as well as a way to cut down on having to keep both around.

From what I've heard (haven't had a chance to substantiate this yet) that mose hammer fired pistols have no problem with teh SR primers, but some striker fired pistols due.

I've not been able to determine yet what (if any) changes they do to the load to account for the different primer.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am thinking maybe SRP will mask high pressure signs in warm pistol loads? I am not sure of that.......

There is a few thousands difference between the two primers also. I don't remember which is smaller and I am too busy to get some out and measure them.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sounds pretty gutsy to me. I personally wouldn't do it just on principal, but that's just me and I have no data to support or refute any dangers or benefits of loading SRP's in a SPP cartridge.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I was always told that you could use SR in a pistol but not SP in a rifle
    Heres the reasoning I was told, SR are a little tougher(pistol might not set them off) but most rifles will puncher a SP Primer causing gases to either etch your bolt face or blow back at you.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Actually, those that i know that are using srp's in pistols are loading light bullet/ high velocity rounds in .38super and the like to make power factor for uspsa. safe practice when done correctly.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In a time when it was really hard to get primers, I have used small rifle primers in a Pistol cartridge. It did not seem to hurt anything. It was a middle of the road .357mag load. My tuned up S&W revolver would not hit the primer hard enough every once and while. My Ruger had no problems.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    In a time when it was really hard to get primers, I have used small rifle primers in a Pistol cartridge. It did not seem to hurt anything. It was a middle of the road .357mag load. My tuned up S&W revolver would not hit the primer hard enough every once and while. My Ruger had no problems.

This is EXACTLY the case. The majority of the time Small Rifle Primers will work just fine in most Small Pistol loads.
    A wise re loader will stay away from using in "Light Strike", or "Tuned" pistols. Also do not use in loads that are up to the Max on the powder charge.
    I have loaded and shot a lot of different loads in:9MM,.38Spl.,.357Mag.,and .40S&W. with Small Rifle primers.
    When I get a good deal on Small Rifle Primers a certain amount find their way to a Small Pistol primed loads.
    Each to his own, but it works for me..Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I am thinking maybe SRP will mask high pressure signs in warm pistol loads? I am not sure of that.......

There is a few thousands difference between the two primers also. I don't remember which is smaller and I am too busy to get some out and measure them.

Your first sentence is true, due to the thicker walled cup on a Small Rifle primer.

I have loaded:CCI, Rem.,W-W,and Wolf Small Rifle primers in small pistol loads, and have not duplicated your second sentence.
    Large Rifle primers DO have a deeper cup, and will NOT seat flush/just below flush, in Large Pistol cases.=The Large series of primers will NOT interchange between Rifle+Pistol loads.
    Again--JUST my 2 cents worth..Bill.

Top Bottom