• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    .22lr. ammo is more common and usually cheaper than some of the alternatives. I shoot a Savage MKII with Eley Subsonics. Lays a smack on the squirrel and is incredibly quiet in the woods.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When it comes to tree rats i like to use a 22 rifle, the 17 cal's are interesting but you want to plink with a rifle also so the 22 will get shot more over time.

I like a couple of different rifles, If slowly walking something light and small is all you need. If setting in a spot and waiting for them to show up and going to a second spot you could use a long barreled even heavy rifle.

For light and small how about 4.5 pounds.

Browning Buckmark .22 Rifle

for long and full size 29 inch barrel.

THE CZ-452 SECRET

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    .22 air rifle. It won't scare away the other targets. Otherwise, a 10/22.

My father had very good luck with his air rifle, older break barrel not sure what cal. Can get them for under $150 ammo is even cheaper than dirt, quiet enough not to scare off the other critters.. Practically no meat loss. If I went small game hunting I would prefer air over powder.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    You guys really like to complicate things. I've killed many squirrels with a simple Marlin Model 60 .22lr.

Just about any .22 with a scope will kill a squirrel.
    Yep! That's what I use- Remington 597 w/ 3-9x30 scope and CCI Mini-Mag .22LR hollow points. She'll print 5 shots in the space of a nickel at 50 yards dead-on, it's lightweight to carry and cheap to shoot.

One shot below the eyeball and it's lights out for Mr. Tree Rat.. Mmmmm...squirrel stew! :drool:

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Browning BL-22 has taken many squirrels over the 30 plus years I have used it for hunting. Also a lot of fun to plink with. I use a 4 power scope with high velocity 22lr.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    squirrel gun

I use the following for squirrel;

22LR = Remington 541S/Leupold 2-7,
    Savage Mark II bull/Bushnell3-9
    Ruger 77/22SS/Leupold 2-7
    Ruger 10/22 bull SS/Bushnell Trophy 6-18AO
    T/C Contender 22 match carbine/ Leupold 2-7
    T/C Contender 22 match 10" pistol/Burris 2-7
    High Standard Victor open sights (to 35 yards)

17 HMR (head shots only)
    Savage 917 Bull/Leupold 6.5x20AO
    T/c carbine bull/Leupold 4-12AO

22mag (head shots only)
    T/C Contender carbine/Leupold 3-9AO
    Ruger 77/22 Bull/Leupold 4-12AO

All seem to work well just a matter of preference.
    The Remington 541S is a one holer @ 50 yards
    The Ruger 10-22 is the most versitile and one holer @25 yards,
    The T/C match barrels are superb but a bit light for ultra precision.
    The best bang for the buck is the Savage.

My ammo of preference for the 22 LR is CCI SGB's or Federal Gold Medal
    My ammo of prefernce for 17HMR is Hornady 15 gr
    My ammo of preference for the 22 mag is Remington Premier or Winchester dynapoint.

I usually limit all shots to head shots.

Looks like the crop of squirrels this year will need some additional thinning
    due to the mild winter. Good shooting

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    +1 for Ruger 10/22

no much need for a tactical 22 that have become popular other than its weights less. top three in order would be a 10/22 with steel trigger, marlin 917, then a remigiton or mossberg. the 10/22 are practically ready to go right out the box. I use 32grain high velocity type bullet

The Ruger is easily the most popular 22 rifle in these United States. There are so many 3rd party options out there that you can go super tactical to super target or, as some have said here, go with what you have out of the box and put the hurt on your local squirrel population.

Also the Ruger 10/22 is the gun of choice of the Appleseed Project. Google them for more info on VERY good marksmanship training.

:)

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    old Mossberg for squirrels

Bought a used Mossberg 400 lever action 22 in 1968 for $42.50 from Galyans in Plainfield when that was their only location. Put a 3 x 6 Weaver scope on it and never brought a squirrel out of the woods with anything but a head shot.

Had a ground hog diggin' under my mini barn one spring too. He made the mistake of sunning himself on top of the spare tire on the tongue of my motorcycle trailer. Took him off there with a 27 grain hollow point short from my bathroom window. Found him where he fell.

Shorts are really quiet out of 24" of barrel. Neighbors are a little alergic to gun fire ya know.

Don't know why any more gun would be required for squirreles IMO.

Just glad no one chimed in insisting that a 12 gauge was required. Ha!

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just read the other day about some guy using his 30/30 lever gun for squirrel hunting. No, really!

He said he was loading 30/30 brass with a round ball on top of .5 grains of whatever powder, and he was "plnking" squirrels with his lever gun!

My favorite squirrel gun is not optimal, but I like it anyway.
    I have an old Winchester 1895 "Low-Wall" that was originally a .22 short. Someone replaced the barrel with one from a Winchester model 52 .22Lr. This is now a lever action falling-block, single shot .22Lr.

Being a single shot has it's drawbacks, but it is by FAR the most accurate .22 I own, and just a pleasure to shoot.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    This is going to make me look bad but around where I squirrel hunt a particular woods would have either the grays or fox squirrels. For eating I like the grays and do most of my hunting for them. Now the part that makes me not look so good is that I use a 12 ga. full choke and No. 5 shot. Seems like those little guys never stop moving. A fox squirrel will sit around and give me a easier shot so I go with a .22 cal. and with my old age have to use a scope, cant see iron sights anymore.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is going to make me look bad but around where I squirrel hunt a particular woods would have either the grays or fox squirrels. For eating I like the grays and do most of my hunting for them. Now the part that makes me not look so good is that I use a 12 ga. full choke and No. 5 shot. Seems like those little guys never stop moving. A fox squirrel will sit around and give me a easier shot so I go with a .22 cal. and with my old age have to use a scope, cant see iron sights anymore.

Only thing I don't understand is why a full choke? Seems like too big a chance for destruction of meat and less of a chance to hit, but I could (and quite possible am) wrong.

But to the OP have you thought about a combo? A .22lr over 20ga for instance.
    savage 24c series n 22 lr. / 20 gauge over under Savage Rifles > Other for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Russells Sportn Bike. Buy or bid on this savage 24c series n 22 lr. / 20 gauge over under in the category Savage Rifles > Other on Gu

Although Savage doesn't make them anymore, and I have no idea who if anyone does.

Good for when the leaves are still up and when the're down. And with the .22 it's a cheap dispatch if the 20 ga didn't finish them off. Yes I know there are cheaper ways than that even.;)

Last edited:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Marlin Model 795. I have one and can put three quarter inch targets at 50 yards all day. My buddy has one that he hunts squirrel with, and he loves it. That's what I plan to do with mine.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Marlin mod 60 with a Simmons 3-9 from Wal-Mart is what I use.

17 hmr is overkill for squirrel.

Any decent 22 rifle will work fine and then you would have a cheap plinker too.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have shot a good amount of those little pests with my air rifle shooting the .17 pellets. With the right pellet, it'd kill them at 40 yards. Don't need to spend more on the real ammo for them.

HollowaySF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    I'm a huge fan of my Ruger 10/22, but the past years I've goin out after tree rats w/ my Heritage Rough Rider .22lr. Not the most accurate, but it's still a lot of fun to squirrel hunt with.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Remington 550,552 if you want a semi-auto.Much more fun with a bolt action though...Remington 510,514....Or the most fun of all,Remington 572 slide-action.Can you tell that I like older Remington rifles?

Top Bottom