• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I got an Endura that uses the Emerson wave the other day. I'm still in awe at how simple, reliable, and effective the Emerson opening system is. It's just awesome. I practice about 10 draws a night before bed, and I just can't believe how fast the blade can be deployed.

Does anyone here know of any downsides to this method? There has to be one . . . I just can't think of it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does anyone here know of any downsides to this method? There has to be one . . . I just can't think of it.
    My Commander has put some pretty ragged wear on the right front pockets of a couple pairs of "around the house" Levi's. :dunno:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I got an Endura that uses the Emerson wave the other day. I'm still in awe at how simple, reliable, and effective the Emerson opening system is. It's just awesome. I practice about 10 draws a night before bed, and I just can't believe how fast the blade can be deployed.

Are you carrying this with self defense in mind? If so there are some cons that we have evidenced in force on force.

It is hard to wave a knife open if you have your back on the ground or against a wall or vehicle. When in contact with your attacker any movement with your hand behind you mid line can be bad. The pinch you have when you open the knife using your thumb and finger is not a usable grip for fighting, this poor grip also ends up with dropped or knocked away knives. Some how you need to establish a workable grip. - George

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Are you carrying this with self defense in mind? If so there are some cons that we have evidenced in force on force.

It is hard to wave a knife open if you have your back on the ground or against a wall or vehicle. When in contact with your attacker any movement with your hand behind you mid line can be bad. The pinch you have when you open the knife using your thumb and finger is not a usable grip for fighting, this poor grip also ends up with dropped or knocked away knives. Some how you need to establish a workable grip. - George

Thanks--that's interesting information. The wave hook is huge on the Spyderco version--I have no trouble opening it out of a front pocket, even with vertical pockets. That will probably help with the draw issues you're discussing.

I'll definitely have to arrange for some force-on-force sessions to make sure I can deploy it from the ground and to test the adequacy of the initial grip.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    After taking George's SAS and IE classes a couple weeks ago, I've been rethinking my Emerson Commander as primary EDC knife (for the reasons outlined above). I always have to 'jiggle' a little to get the knife into a solid grip after waving it open. That's OK when facing a box, but when faced with an attack, I'm afraid my blade will go flying.

I HAVE been carrying my Emerson Karambit in my left-hand front pocket (glad I didn't sell it!). As George says, it's a one trick pony, but what a trick it is (I should state that for me it is a one trick pony, 'cause I don't have the dexterity to do the fancy flips and turns with it).

JNG, George will be back in early August for another 2 day knife class at Eagle Creek. Definitely worth the time and $$.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Ya taking it out of my pocket without opening it. :D

Seriously a good choice I have been carrying one as a duty knife since they came out. One trip to Iraq and a trip to Afghan coming down the pike. Have yet to find a better pocket knife for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I HAVE been carrying my Emerson Karambit in my left-hand front pocket (glad I didn't sell it!). As George says, it's a one trick pony, but what a trick it is (I should state that for me it is a one trick pony, 'cause I don't have the dexterity to do the fancy flips and turns with it).

Probably true for combat/defensive use.

On the other hand, that shape of blade is excellent for utility use (which is what it was invented for before it was pressed into use as a weapon), especially if you work with cord/line/rope. Who carries a karambit for utility use, though?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have five waved spyderoc's at the moment, looking to get the partially seratede after a while and keep up with them as they come out. the only downsides I have found in over a year of usinf them is, learning to draw without opening, and the risk of dropping from poor grip.

from a self defense perspective you should practice fully inserting your thumb into the pocket and getting afe fingers on the clip for a better grip as you draw the knife. other things to think of is putting one in your left hip pocket( set up fro a right hand draw) this is a little trickier but will allow you to draw the knife in one forward motion, leaving the knife in your hand ina reverse edge forward grip. I have shown this to a few cop friends in fort wayne and they love it. ex. someone goes for gun grab, they lock down with the right hand, draw the knife with the left and cut a bicep. all the fight is gone.

in generall I love my spydercos and have become pretty preficient with them , I can utilize the round hole and pinch thumb and index finger to draw , draw knife and use my thumb in the round hole to push the knife open, lots of other great tricks, I love playing witht hem and finding new ways to draw and open the knife, soem of my less sheepish friends even get freaked out at how easily and quickly I can produce the edge of a spyderco for any purpose.

Top Bottom