• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    If you told me at the beginning of this month that this would happen, I wouldn't have believed you. I still don't know how this happened. Lucked into 2 great deals this month, a Prodigy 4.25" and a Staccato C2. And I still want to build a 2011 eventually.

20231018_234710.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Replaced the slide stop on the Prodigy due to the factory part being difficult to use, mainly when locking the slide open. Only thing available with a wider paddle suited for the gun was a SS version from 10-8 performance. It's their gen2 design that's been out for quite some time, it just happens to work great for the Prodigy.

The old slide stop had a .197" diameter pin. The new one measured .200", a difference of .003" oversized, however it dropped in place in the frame and thru the barrel link just fine. Unfortunately, the slide would not go 100% into battery and was binding. Inspected and tested with the barrel link removed to confirm the link was the issue. I found the factory link to measure .276" center to center, a little under sized from standard size (spec is .278 +/- .001). Luckily I have extra barrel links and found an in spec standard size link at .2785". Installed that link and the slide now goes into battery 100%, verified the pin spins freely when slide is in battery and all is well again.

The gun seems to cycle a little smoother by hand with the new slide stop and operating the lever is 100x easier. Locking the slide open is not an issue now.

20231104_055020.jpg

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I have a 5" model. I would recommend getting the 4.25" for holster selections. I had a hard time finding one, went with QVO. After some reading it seems like the 4.25 will fit in a lot of Staccato holsters but can't verify. No issues with either factory mag. My slide can get stuck on the disconnector but still functions. zero adjustments and only a few hundred rounds. I did have a stove pipe once.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
      IMG_0180.jpg
      999.6 KB · Views: 5

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a 5" model. I would recommend getting the 4.25" for holster selections. I had a hard time finding one, went with QVO. After some reading it seems like the 4.25 will fit in a lot of Staccato holsters but can't verify. No issues with either factory mag. My slide can get stuck on the disconnector but still functions. zero adjustments and only a few hundred rounds. I did have a stove pipe once.
    This kydex holster is made for the C2, but the Prodigy 4.25 also fits in it. Retention strength is the same without adjustment. The Prodigy does take an extra little push due to the end of it's slide being slightly longer and shaped differently that causes it to push against the tapered end portion of the holster.

20231104_121515.jpg 20231104_121601.jpg 20231104_121544.jpg 20231104_121611.jpg

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    If you told me at the beginning of this month that this would happen, I wouldn't have believed you. I still don't know how this happened. Lucked into 2 great deals this month, a Prodigy 4.25" and a Staccato C2. And I still want to build a 2011 eventually.

View attachment 306428
    Nice pair. Curious where you met the 4.25 Prodigy, if you don't mind saying. Does she have a sister?!

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I've had a prodigy since April and here's what I would say. First it's one of my absolute favorite guns I own. I shoot IDPA and USPSA with it and it's is still up to par usually with some of the Para's and other guns that are used, That being said after a few thousand rounds I have noticed that the Extraction needed to be tuned. I learned this the hard way after one competition when the gun completely failed to extract midway through. In that I also learned that the extractor could be getting pushed on by the optics plate screw and some swipes with a file on the bottom of the screw were necessary. Once I got the extractor tuned and the screw filed down the gun has worked like a champ in each competition I've brought it to. If you are looking for a budget 2011 to start with I think it's probably one of the best options out there as far as they go. For me especially it's given me something to play around with in the customization and gunsmithing aspect of it without ruining a $2500 Staccato.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Ive got trigger time on Staccatos and Prodigy guns. I own a staccato and have shot a couple prodigys.

At around 1200 i think the prodigy is worth it.. the staccato is a better gun for sure but springfield really did well bringing a 2011 to market at that price. The new production ones seem to be alot better than the initial release.

I do not think 1200 is unreasonable given the current gun market and new additions that are not of austrian decent. 1000 dollar handguns are just becoming more normal.

I carry a Staccato P for a duty gun, I dont think the Prodigy is there yet... but its not far off if they keep running reliably.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Grant is a friend of mine. 350 yards…..impressive!

Top Bottom