• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    No just asking if you had anymore range time with it?
    The two targets are from two weekends in a row. Same ammunition lot, same distance, same environment. Those hits are aiming "pumpkin on a post". After the first time out, I mistakenly thought it was a sight problem. I no longer believe that. I'm way out of practice and it shows. That's all.

It's a smooth operator and a sweet trigger.
    SA 1911 RONIN 1.jpg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The two targets are from two weekends in a row. Same ammunition lot, same distance, same environment. Those hits are aiming "pumpkin on a post". After the first time out, I mistakenly thought it was a sight problem. I no longer believe that. I'm way out of practice and it shows. That's all.

View attachment 267309
    Not judging by any means, so hope you did not think I was.

With ammo prices being what they are I wonder how many people have had to dial back range time.

The two tone is starting to grow on me.

Sure it will serve you well

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

View attachment 267309

Beautiful gun! :drool:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Nice looking 1911. The groups shot were very good. Probably just need more range time to get your sight picture, grip and “feel” of the pistol to get those groups dead center. Best of luck and enjoy that new .45! :wavey:

Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    Will a Garrison 9mm count?

I changed out the grips and the sights, reverse crowned the barrel and added a magwell. Installed a 3 1/2-4 lbs. flat trigger.
    Let us not forget the skateboard tape.

H53l9mz.jpg

vGh3uE3.jpg

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I like mine quite a bit...now. But I changed several things to suit me. Trigger out of the box was bad - gritty and heavy. Maybe the worst 1911 trigger I'd felt. I fit a new one and it's much better. Breaks at 4 lbs. 14 oz. Not amazing, but it's smooth with just a tiny bit of pretravel. Has fed fine with Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags.

Factory bushing had plenty of play in it - put on an Ed Brown drop-in bushing, and that was a tighter fit by several thousandths of an inch. Added arched MSH because I prefer the feel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314_100532_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230314_100532_Gallery.jpg
      193.1 KB · Views: 7

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I like mine quite a bit...now. But I changed several things to suit me. Trigger out of the box was bad - gritty and heavy. Maybe the worst 1911 trigger I'd felt. I fit a new one and it's much better. Breaks at 4 lbs. 14 oz. Not amazing, but it's smooth with just a tiny bit of pretravel. Has fed fine with Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags.

Factory bushing had plenty of play in it - put on an Ed Brown drop-in bushing, and that was a tighter fit by several thousandths of an inch. Added arched MSH because I prefer the feel.

That's one thing I've noticed with SA 1911's is that you can get a variety of trigger feel out of the box. Mine is very crisp and I would have to say around 4.5lbs or so. Feels very nice. I shoot often with someone who is a pretty good judge of triggers and he was amazed at how nice the trigger was for not having any work done to it. I've seen this before with other SA 1911's, so I can't say I'm surprised.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Well just picked up a like new used one with all factory accessories. Blued.
    No rounds down rage yet. Thinking maybe changing the grips for some VZ's.
    Yeah, Springfield definitely dropped the ball on the grips. IMO, they took a quality product (especially at its price point) and made it look cheap. That kind of thing always makes me wonder if manufacturers cut corners in other ways as well. I probably wouldn’t have bought it if it were another manufacturer, but my experiences with Springfield have always been positive. I’m glad I didn’t let that deter me because I’ve been very impressed with mine.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah, Springfield definitely dropped the ball on the grips. IMO, they took a quality product (especially at its price point) and made it look cheap. That kind of thing always makes me wonder if manufacturers cut corners in other ways as well. I probably wouldn’t have bought it if it were another manufacturer, but my experiences with Springfield have always been positive. I’m glad I didn’t let that deter me because I’ve been very impressed with mine.

I agree the grips weren't the best. I guess I just expect to have to put new grips on a 1911. I like grips with the big groove for the thumb and I don't like them to be overly aggressive, as I'm also using finger grooves to make up for it not having front strap checkering. I posted it upthread, but here's mine:

uJjBCQR.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I agree the grips weren't the best. I guess I just expect to have to put new grips on a 1911. I like grips with the big groove for the thumb and I don't like them to be overly aggressive, as I'm also using finger grooves to make up for it not having front strap checkering. I posted it upthread, but here's mine:

uJjBCQR.jpg
    I don't fault SPFD for just putting on plain wood grips. Grips like sights are one of those things that are never going to make everyone happy and that get changed out often on 1911's.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't fault SPFD for just putting on plain wood grips. Grips like sights are one of those things that are never going to make everyone happy and that get changed out often on 1911's.

Yep, it would be nice if they had better, more functional grips, but they are attractive anyway.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    In to watch... I keep bouncing between a Ronin and a Garrison and will pull the trigger when the piggy bank is full enough.
    They're both great looking guns and I do have a soft spot for classic 2-tones. I usually evaluate it from the perspective of am I going to do additional tinkering with it which is always a yes lol. In that case the blued Garrison is usually out because it costs way too much now to reblue a gun but cerakote is always an option. With the Ronin you would only have to redo the slide which isn't bad as anything done to the SS frame can be reblasted/polished easily enough. The SS Garrison is the easiest to work on and clean up afterwards.

Top Bottom