• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I was recently invited to shoot sporting clays at Indiana Gun Club. I totally sucked shooting 3/48 - but had so much fun. I want to do it again.

I used a rental gun - but would like to get my own. My current inventory of pistols and ARs won’t cut it.

I know nothing about shotguns. The only use for this will be sporting clays and trap/skeet. I don’t hunt. I won’t compete. Just fun to watch clays bust as they get scared by the noise and fall to the ground in fright.

I’d like an over under / the rental was a semi auto, but I’d prefer the look of the over under.

12guage / 20 gauge? length?

Budget is $2-5k or so. Not really an issue but since I suck I figured I can get lessons too. I don’t want to upgrade once I get good.

I’d like to get a used one maybe, but new is fine (I have more than 50 posts) but don’t know what to post as a WTB.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I haven’t been there in ages but does the Indiana Gun Club still have good inventory for what you’re looking for? If so, I would suggest going there and seeing what tickles your fancy. They may have used/trade-in/consignment shotguns.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I haven’t been there in ages but does the Indiana Gun Club still have good inventory for what you’re looking for? If so, I would suggest going there and seeing what tickles your fancy. They may have used/trade-in/consignment shotguns.
    Yeah I was there the other day. Looked pretty full - but didnt consider it. I will go back but figured I’d get some terms and ideas before I started asking stupid questions in person.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    A 12ga will be most versatile. $2-3k will get you a solid O/U. Go handle a Beretta and a Browning. Pick the one that feels better to you. Whichever brand you pick, make sure to get a sporting model. Field models can have automatic safeties which are a nuisance. I'd stay away from dedicated trap guns unless that is the only game you intend to shoot. 28" to 32" barrels. (30 & 32" are most popular for clay guns)

Browning will be Citori CX, CXS or 725
    Beretta will be 686 thru 694

The "B" guns will hold their value well in case you feel like upgrading in the future based on gun or looks preferences.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Romack991 was spot on. If you are left handed that may be a consideration, but for an over under it isn’t as critical. If you are near Danville come by twin bridges on a Tuesday or Thursday 5-9 pm ish, or Sunday noon to 5, and shoot some skeet and trap with us.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    A 12ga will be most versatile. $2-3k will get you a solid O/U. Go handle a Beretta and a Browning. Pick the one that feels better to you. Whichever brand you pick, make sure to get a sporting model. Field models can have automatic safeties which are a nuisance. I'd stay away from dedicated trap guns unless that is the only game you intend to shoot. 28" to 32" barrels. (30 & 32" are most popular for clay guns)

Browning will be Citori CX, CXS or 725
    Beretta will be 686 thru 694

The "B" guns will hold their value well in case you feel like upgrading in the future based on gun or looks preferences.
    Thanks. Good input.

I understand the difference between skeet and trap - but how would a dedicated trap gun not be ideal for skeet/sporting clays?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Romack991 was spot on. If you are left handed that may be a consideration, but for an over under it isn’t as critical. If you are near Danville come by twin bridges on a Tuesday or Thursday 5-9 pm ish, or Sunday noon to 5, and shoot some skeet and trap with us.
    I’m in Carmel - but would love a meet up. Sounds fun.

I’m jacked up. Im right eye dominant. Shoot handguns right handed and rifles my preference is left handed but I’m trying to force right handed.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    Trap gun will have higher POI.
    The Browning CX is going to be best bet for an all around game gun with the 60/40 POI
    Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon has more of a 50/50 like the Browning CXS the sporting guns are harder to add a comb to if needed on factory stocks
    Would not go any shorter than 30inch barrels

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Trap gun will have higher POI.
    The Browning CX is going to be best bet for an all around game gun with the 60/40 POI
    Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon has more of a 50/50 like the Browning CXS the sporting guns are harder to add a comb to if needed on factory stocks
    Would not go any shorter than 30inch barrels
    Got it. Had to look up POI and Comb - but I found some good resources for sure. Thanks for the info. On my 3/48 day everyone kept saying I was missing high - no idea what gun I was shooting but between my aim and a higher POI maybe Trap is a natural fit.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    I would also stay away from the 725 it has a mechanical trigger system not a fan have seen some people have issues google it before you buy
    The CX runs the standard tried and true inertia trigger ours have been rebuilt once at the grand by Browning after several thousands of rounds and still going strong best bang for the buck spend the rest on ammo

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Your target gun needs to have two primary attributes:

1) It should be long (30" min. barrel length in a break-open gun, 28" minimum in an auto). Choke tubes go without saying, but almost everything has them these days.

2) It should be heavy, meaning 8 lbs. or heavier. This helps you with gun momentum and recoil reduction.

Nice-to-haves are an adjustable-comb stock, and adjustable POI rib, in that order.

12 or 20 ga. will work fine for what you're doing, but 12ga. is more versatile. The O/U allows you to save your empties easily, and gives you two different choke constrictions for when you have one target close and the other going away.

Your budget puts a lot of good options in your range. Rather than tell you something here, I'd recommend you just go hang out at IGC, ask them questions, and shoot some of their used guns. They will let you shoot used guns on their range, and that's a good way to find out what you like.

I would stay away from the Turkish-built stuff, for resale value. Berettas and Brownings are very established, good stuff which everyone recognizes the value of.

Everyone starts where you are. For skill development, it would be great to shoot some skeet, because it gives you different angles and the increase/decrease in forward allowance changes in gradual increments as you move around the field. This allows you to figure which shots require more lead and which less (sporting distances have more variation within a round, and differing size targets fool your eyes in judging distance). Sporting is a great game, but you'll enjoy it more once you've built some "good habits" on the skeet field.

Trap is a pretty fun game too, but hey, I'm biased.

Addressing the eye-dominance issue will be your first priority in getting that 3/48 to improve. I cannot tell you the answer because it's individual for everyone, but if you're really right eye dominant, shooting right handed is the best answer, and it will never be easier for you to learn than right now, while you're building your initial shooting habits. When you go out to shoot some used guns at IGC, if you take the less preferable option and shoot off your left shoulder, I'd recommend either closing your right eye, or if you shoot both eyes open, putting a piece of scotch tape over your right eye to keep it from "taking over" while you shoot left handed. Regardless, nothing in the world will be more important right now than addressing this issue. If you're shooting off one shoulder and your dominant eye is on the other side, it will put obstacles in front of you.

Last edited:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Your target gun needs to have two primary attributes:

1) It should be long (30" min. barrel length in a break-open gun, 28" minimum in an auto). Choke tubes go without saying, but almost everything has them these days.

2) It should be heavy, meaning 8 lbs. or heavier. This helps you with gun momentum and recoil reduction.

Nice-to-haves are an adjustable-comb stock, and adjustable POI rib, in that order.

12 or 20 ga. will work fine for what you're doing, but 12ga. is more versatile. The O/U allows you to save your empties easily, and gives you two different choke constrictions for when you have one target close and the other going away.

Your budget puts a lot of good options in your range. Rather than tell you something here, I'd recommend you just go hang out at IGC, ask them questions, and shoot some of their used guns. They will let you shoot used guns on their range, and that's a good way to find out what you like.

I would stay away from the Turkish-built stuff, for resale value. Berettas and Brownings are very established, good stuff which everyone recognizes the value of.

Everyone starts where you are. For skill development, it would be great to shoot some skeet, because it gives you different angles and the increase/decrease in forward allowance changes in gradual increments as you move around the field. This allows you to figure which shots require more lead and which less (sporting distances have more variation within a round, and differing size targets fool your eyes in judging distance). Sporting is a great game, but you'll enjoy it more once you've built some "good habits" on the skeet field.

Trap is a pretty fun game too, but hey, I'm biased.

Addressing the eye-dominance issue will be your first priority in getting that 3/48 to improve. I cannot tell you the answer because it's individual for everyone, but if you're really right eye dominant, shooting right handed is the best answer, and it will never be easier for you to learn than right now, while you're building your initial shooting habits. When you go out to shoot some used guns at IGC, if you take the less preferable option and shoot off your left shoulder, I'd recommend either closing your right eye, or if you shoot both eyes open, putting a piece of scotch tape over your right eye to keep it from "taking over" while you shoot left handed. Regardless, nothing in the world will be more important right now than addressing this issue. If you're shooting off one shoulder and your dominant eye is on the other side, it will put obstacles in front of you.
    Thank you!

Shooting IGC guns makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that. I like the idea of just shooting skeet to learn some basics with a shotgun. Literally fired a shotgun just those 48 times. Thousands of rounds through pistols and ARs though.

I shoot my AR pretty tight right handed - but it’s not natural. When I pick it up, it goes left shoulder until I consciously move it over. It feels awkward, but I can shoot well at 100y with it. I’m left handed when I eat / write but sports are right handed except a long gun. Ugh.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lots of great advice in this thread and most of the basics have been covered.
    A couple points regarding the gun differences between a dedicated trap, dedicated skeet or sporting clays guns. Trap guns tend to have a higher POI (70/30-100%) because the target should always be broken while it's rising. In trap targets will be presented randomly within a set pattern. Trap guns typically have between 30-34" barrels with 30" considered by most competitive shooters as too short and trap guns usually have a parallel comb.
    Skeet guns have a flatter POI (50/50) and typically are 28-32" barrels. The targets always fly in the same path but the distance varies. Some targets are broken in less than 15yds.
    Sporting clays guns typically have a medium POI (60/40 is most common) because of the variety of target presentations and speeds.

The Citori CX or something similar is probably the best middle ground gun to shoot all 3 disciplines. I shoot a Citori CX And absolutely love it. Another option since you mentioned the 725, would be to look at a 725 combo that would have two barrel sets which would allow you to taylor the gun more to what you are shooting. I would also say consider a couple Guns unlimited exclusives from Browning. Specifically their Citori Universal hi-post with a parallel comb. Or their Universal hi-post with adjustable rib. Whatever you may choose, gun fit is an absolute must and makes a huge difference. An adjustable comb and recoil pad plate can do wonders to making a gun properly fit you.
    In any clays game 12g is the king. Fact is 12g will beat a 20g in any clays game especially on distance. Recoil for similar shells is so close to the same it really doesn't make a difference to even consider a 20g IMO.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’m in Carmel - but would love a meet up. Sounds fun.

I’m jacked up. Im right eye dominant. Shoot handguns right handed and rifles my preference is left handed but I’m trying to force right handed.
    If you are right eye dominant and are comfortable shooting right handed that would probably be best. With a shotgun you aren't aiming but you should be 100% hard focused on the target. If you have to shoot with cross eye dominant there are options that work well. We've had to work on that with my daughter and one of the best sources for info on that is Phil Kiner.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    What about CZ?
    CZ is only the importer. Their guns are made by Huglu (Turkish).

You'll read a lot of mixed reviews. They are probably fine for the person who is shooting a couple times a year but they are inexpensive for a reason. Fit/finish aren't great and you're more likely to have problems. I recently picked up a youth 20ga CZ redhead premier. Visible finish imperfections out of the box. Trigger is poor and doesn't have the same solid feel. If I could have found a Citori Micro, I would have went that direction. CZ was half the price but feels like a quarter of the quality. It shoots clays just fine but it will eventually be replaced.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What about CZ?
    IMHO, CZ shotguns simply don't hold their value like a Browning, Beretta or some other brands first of all. Second, I'm sure they are fine for field use but not so much a true target gun. I've seen many reviews of their "target" shotguns not lasting long term. My brother has a CZ Redhead that hasn't been shot much but the fit & finish isn't quite as nice as the "B" guns and the action is not very smooth either.
    I had some bad shotguns when I was young and didn't have the money for anything nicer. As a result, I am not at all a fan of Turkish made shotguns (the cheaper ones I had were from Turkey). With the budget the OP gave, I wouldn't consider anything lesser than Browning or Beretta. Nearer the top end of the stated budget, I would be looking at Caesar Giurini.

Top Bottom