• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    When I first moved here to central Indiana a little less than 10 years ago I settled on the south-side and eventually bought a house on the far southeast side. For a while, it has seemed the safer and more pleasant option, but now it appears to be taking a hard turn down the toilet. Perhaps it is a predictable outcome of a county with a lax and ineffective criminal justice system and a helping handful of societal decay. Right now, I am having the disturbing realization that where I live has become or is becoming inherently unsafe. These are just the news stories for the south-side from this last weekend.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I absolutely hate Indianapolis. After living in Hendricks County my entire life, and recently having to deal with Marion County, IMPD and the rest of them.......I have come to the conclusion that if I never enter Marion County again in my life.....it would be too soon.

I will not threadjack you with my complaints......but I can tell you this.......the last place in this world you want to die is Marion County.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'll leave Marion Co, and likely Indiana, when I retire, but I'd be more concerned with riding a motorcycle on the south side then being the victim of a violent crime given my demographics and lifestyle choices.
    The rural area south of Valpo where I reside is quite pleasant, but I did remark to my wife yesterday that maybe we should look at moving to Mormon country in Utah....as long as we can find a good Baptist church. The Mormons run a pretty tight ship.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The rural area south of Valpo where I reside is quite pleasant, but I did remark to my wife yesterday that maybe we should look at moving to Mormon country in Utah....as long as we can find a good Baptist church. The Mormons run a pretty tight ship.

Cant go wrong living next to the Osmonds.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    When I first moved here to central Indiana a little less than 10 years ago I settled on the south-side and eventually bought a house on the far southeast side. For a while, it has seemed the safer and more pleasant option, but now it appears to be taking a hard turn down the toilet. Perhaps it is a predictable outcome of a county with a lax and ineffective criminal justice system and a helping handful of societal decay. Right now, I am having the disturbing realization that where I live has become or is becoming inherently unsafe. These are just the news stories for the south-side from this last weekend.

The shooting in Beech Grove was at a "vigil" by early accounts, so likely personal/gang violence.

The hit & run? Not seeing how that makes the south side unsafe. Traffic deaths happen everywhere, every day.

The person shot and killed at a home near Thompson and Emerson? Other reports stated that the police are conducting a "death investigation," which usually means suicide or accidental shooting. Otherwise, they'd say "homicide investigation."

The only outlier here is the mall shooting, and that's not even in Indy.

Violent crime happens, and it didn't just start in the last 10 years. And it certainly doesn't confine itself to geographical boundaries.

But I'm not worried. The south side still has a long way to go to catch up to 38th Street shenanigans. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Been a southsider all my life (right in the middle, about 5000 south) and I've been seeing a gradual decline for some time now. More homeless, different demographics, more transient motels, more dilapidated buildings, etc.. I'm still not in fear where I live, but I am more aware I guess.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Utah is beautiful. Houses seemed expensive in the area we visited, though. I'd like to live in the southwest for awhile, but don't know I'd live there permanently.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The shooting in Beech Grove was at a "vigil" by early accounts, so likely personal/gang violence.

The hit & run? Not seeing how that makes the south side unsafe. Traffic deaths happen everywhere, every day.

The person shot and killed at a home near Thompson and Emerson? Other reports stated that the police are conducting a "death investigation," which usually means suicide or accidental shooting. Otherwise, they'd say "homicide investigation."

The only outlier here is the mall shooting, and that's not even in Indy.

Violent crime happens, and it didn't just start in the last 10 years. And it certainly doesn't confine itself to geographical boundaries.

But I'm not worried. The south side still has a long way to go to catch up to 38th Street shenanigans. :):
    Yup.
    I have no idea why folks seem to think their little slice of ground is safe by any stretch. A few years ago a series of thug related insanity struck in broad daylight out in Brownsburg for crap sake. Inner city uts jacked an SUV and went on a rampage.
    Zionsville has had this as well. People shot standing in their front yards by that whack job that eventually shot up the IMPD sub station NW Indy.
    It bleeds out from the high crime areas.
    Wake up people. No where in a large city is totally safe.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yup.
    I have no idea why folks seem to think their little slice of ground is safe by any stretch. A few years ago a series of thug related insanity struck in broad daylight out in Brownsburg for crap sake. Inner city uts jacked an SUV and went on a rampage.
    Zionsville has had this as well. People shot standing in their front yards by that whack job that eventually shot up the IMPD sub station NW Indy.
    It bleeds out from the high crime areas.
    Wake up people. No where in a large city is totally safe.
    Agreed and surrounding areas of a large city.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Back in my midlife crisis days (1999 - 2004-ish), I used to frequent a "gentleman's club" - The Classy Chassy - located at SR37 and 465 on the southside. At some point it has changed it's name to Onyx and is billed as an "urban club". My Citizen app has regularly been lighting up recently for gunshots fired in and around the club and at businesses/motels in that area. Sad.

Top Bottom