• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I like their way of thinking.

I know... the nattering naybobs will be out shortly complaining about infringing their rights.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If a citizen does not have health insurance and utilizes Medicare or Medicade, the burden falls on tax payers. If a person doesn't own a gun, that is no skin off my nose. I tend to care less and less about this subject when I read how some of these "educated" law makers come up with idiotic comparisons to prove the health care law is unconstitutional.

Someone said it before, but today's lawyers and law makers do not possesses the ability to reason intelligently. This proposal makes no sense and will only get the normal crowd to say, "Yeah, what about that, Hussein?"

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One thing it lacks, the government should buy you the weapon. ;)

LOL

I personally think that Service Members that have an Honorable Discharge should be allowed to leave the Service with their duty weapons...

I also think it is a crime that Service Members are NOT required to be armed at all times also...

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If a citizen does not have health insurance and utilizes Medicare or Medicade, the burden falls on tax payers. If a person doesn't own a gun, that is no skin off my nose. I tend to care less and less about this subject when I read how some of these "educated" law makers come up with idiotic comparisons to prove the health care law is unconstitutional.

Someone said it before, but today's lawyers and law makers do not possesses the ability to reason intelligently. This proposal makes no sense and will only get the normal crowd to say, "Yeah, what about that, Hussein?"

Except it has nothing to do with burdens on the taxpayers and everything to do with the scope of the authority of government...

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I don't want the government telling me what I have to buy regardless of motivation or how good the product might actually be for me.
    Does this mean the cost of guns in ND will go up because the gun stores know you don't have a choice?
    Will the government eventually tell you that you have to own a particular type of gun?
    Will that before or after the government owns a piece of the company that manufactures said type of government?
    I also don't want the government "buying" it for me. Government doesn't buy anything without first taking the money from us to use in the transaction and they will waste a lot of money in the process. How about I just buy what ever to begin with and save the wasted money for food or something.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    said it before, but today's lawyers and law makers do not possesses the ability to reason intelligently. This proposal makes no sense and will only get the normal crowd to say, "Yeah, what about that, Hussein?"

You may disagree with it but it seems like a fairly straightforward analogy. He believes that Obamacare's mandate that individuals must buy health insurance is not one of the powers of the Federal Government, even under the overly stretched interstate commerce clause. We have 2 Federal judges that have gone on record agreeing with that. Is his proposal absurd? Of course, as it was intended to be. Using absurdity to prove a point is an oft used logical device.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I wonder if they've made any provision in their bill for conscientious objectors and religious exemptions? No-one should be forced to purchase anything that goes against their principles. Health insurance included. Shoot, if these politicians were interested in anything other than making some kind of point, they'd have introduced a bill to completely deregulate the industry and get government out of the business. Let folks buy across state lines, or international borders. The fact is that neither party wants to actually address the issue, they're satisfied with the status quo.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    “Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

This is interesting and I do agree with him in spirit. His tactics are where we part ways. Having a state government use the people's money to over-step its boundaries (even if only playing devil's advocate) in order to make the point that the federal government is over-stepping its boundaries just makes my head spin. Bad, bad idea.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You may disagree with it but it seems like a fairly straightforward analogy. He believes that Obamacare's mandate that individuals must buy health insurance is not one of the powers of the Federal Government, even under the overly stretched interstate commerce clause. We have 2 Federal judges that have gone on record agreeing with that. Is his proposal absurd? Of course, as it was intended to be. Using absurdity to prove a point is an oft used logical device.

Ray Charles can see what they are trying to prove and he's blind and dead. So, this proposal was introduced as a joke? Is it real legislation? Are they going to push this bill through their local government, implement it and then have someone go to the courts to have it determined to be unconstitutional? Does anyone really care what happens in South Dakota?

I'm not a fan of the current health care plan, but the Governors are doing a good job and the law has recently been determined to be unconstitutional by the court and will eventually reach the SCOTUS. I just believe they should be working for their state with some real work instead of this garbage that makes no difference.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Ray Charles can see what they are trying to prove and he's blind and dead. So, this proposal was introduced as a joke? Is it real legislation? Are they going to push this bill through their local government, implement it and then have someone go to the courts to have it determined to be unconstitutional? Does anyone really care what happens in South Dakota?

I'm not a fan of the current health care plan, but the Governors are doing a good job and the law has recently been determined to be unconstitutional by the court and will eventually reach the SCOTUS. I just believe they should be working for their state with some real work instead of this garbage that makes no difference.

There's a huge distinction between this bill and Obamacare. Obamacare will likely be ruled an unconstitutional reach of the federal government's commerce clause powers. The state of South Dakota is not so restricted.

Having said that, I'm not so sure this is a good idea for many reasons. What happens when they get a loopy legislature that wants to mandate 3 servings of vegetables a day?

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    very against this, as much as i would recommend that everyone own a firearm, im very against requiring it.

if the government requires you to do or own something, do they not have to offer a free option?
    which of course would then be paid by everybody.

Top Bottom