• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I was pumping gas into my truck a couple weeks ago when I got one of those. Guy said he needed money for gas because his debit card wouldn't work. My answer "Life is a b****." He mumbled something and walked away. Jim.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I lost a good friend this past year. This reminded me of a time he and his wife were walking in downtown Denver. Approached by someone peddling for change he said "We can't help you" or something to that effect. The peddler grabbed my buddy's wife by the arm. Obviously my friend lost his s**t. No one was hurt but it was touch and go for a minute.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Every single one is a scam. As @wtburnette mentioned earlier, y’all would be blown away by how many people we are on a constant basis who scam for a living. They’re are actually organized groups that do it at specific intersections, with shift times as to who gets the corner at what time. Sometimes we follow them to their car parked around the way, or the homeless camp they live in not far from the corner.

While the homeless folks may “need” the money, every dollar given to them is tax-free and used to perpetuate their livelihood in booze, drugs and petty crime. Real programs exist to help the folks who truly need it and seek it out. I’ve collected thousands of clothing items, hygiene products, blankets and so forth to donate to Wheeler Mission, VOA and other programs. Heck, my shift and I pooled money together to fix a wheelchair for a poor old lady living off 38th street when it literally broke while she was crossing the street. The difference being that she didn’t ask for it, and was too proud to ask as she worked for a living and was not living off subsidies or handouts.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I had a fella step in front of me on my way into McDonalds and tell me a story about how he was from out of state and spent his last dollar paying for a motel room and something about his kids and the hospital and his mom and on & on and on. So he said he needed some money to get food...

Me: "Well, let's go on in and I'll buy you whatever you need"
    Him: "Well, I was really kinda in the mood for fried chicken instead"
    Me: "Then go bum in front of the KFC!"
    And he threw up his hands and walked off.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Seems like a good thread to drop this into.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Seems like a good thread to drop this into.

I was just going to post something along those lines...

As well as finding a MUC unit / class to attend.

Lpherr

Occupied
    The whole thing just caught me off guard.
    I've never been in that situation before.
    However, after dwelling on it for a day, why didn't he just go into Costco for his script, as opposed to going to Wal-Mart?
    Costco has always had a lower price than anywhere else for our needs.
    Also, the dog tags did seem awfully shiny considering his age. My memory isn't the best, but I don't recall them looking worn, or beat up/dull like some of the Veteran's tags I've seen.

Maybe it's my sympathetic/empathetic nature.
    If I was ever in a position, that I actually needed assistance, I hope someone would be more generous that I was able to be.

I guess... lesson learned, and now I'll be more aware of story tellers.
    I'll even try the stare.;) Although, I've been told I'm not real intimidating.

On a positive note, I made it home with 3-lbs of bacon. Seriously.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I used to feel guilty about not always being able to help the needy but then chatted with my fiancé about it. She works for a large charity that has programs for people in need. Their policy is to donate to agencies that help those in need so you are helping those truly in need. I also keep a card with the address and phone number for that agency with me and hand it out to those that appear to really need help.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    BTW,
    Guy’s if you see homeless Veterans don’t fall for it! A person who is actually a Vet just needs to call or show up at a VA center. The VA funds an estimated 600 agencies that provide over 14,500 beds for eligible Veterans.

The VA doesn’t care if your crazy or an addict they have a place for you. They have social workers that take care of them

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    My Mrs used to volunteer at a homeless shelter. The stories above are true — some people there used to make good six figures, and blow it on crazy stuff. They had several storage units full of junk, paying waaay more than a decent apartment rent, but slept in the shelter.
    People who want to get out of that lifestyle have many programs that help them — we all pay taxes for that.
    People who stay homeless either want to, or have issues like mental disease or drugs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my time working the trade from the service truck I have seen about every kind of begging pan handling and deviate story telling. The gas can scam was so popular and soooo many got took by it. Some of those scam artists could be very successful if they directed that energy towards being so.
    I have become soooooo jaded by all of this.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    When I was a much younger man I was downtown pumping gas and a guy came up to me claiming he had ran out of gas on the highway and needed money for gas to get his family home. I thought is sounded pretty fishy, but I gave him a few bucks just to get him to leave me alone. The next day I was driving in the same area, and I'll be damned if that same guy wasn't standing out with the other drunks outside of the liquor store where I'm sure he spent the dollars I gave him. I think of him now and then, every time I see someone begging for money, because that was the last time I handed any out.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    My last donating experience was at the post office off 38th and High School 15ish years ago. I had just came out of the post office and this dude approaches me with story of needing gas to get he and his daughter back home to Cincinnati after family funeral just up the street. Claimed lost wallet. I could see blond daughter sitting in car but was faced away from me. I gave him a 5 or 10 spot. I got in my truck and as I passed their car I saw that daughter was actually a dude in a dress and wig. I stopped, pointed at him and laughed my ass off. I hollered at them that seeing this was worth the money! “Daughter” got pissed and started out of the car. I just pointed to the rifle on the window rack and he backed off. “Dad” never looked at me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    In my time working the trade from the service truck I have seen about every kind of begging pan handling and deviate story telling. The gas can scam was so popular and soooo many got took by it. Some of those scam artists could be very successful if they directed that energy towards being so.
    I have become soooooo jaded by all of this.
    That gas can scam was the last one that got me. It was early-mid 00's in Avon. It was such a new take on an old scam. I fell for it and it cost me three bucks.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    last summer.

my best gal & i was walking downtown indy, sharing a sandwich when a guy walked up and begged me for money. he said he hadn't eaten in three days. my girl (a very fiery latina...think rosie perez with a sig) immediately bristled. i laughed out loud.

he had a double cheeseburger in his hand with a big bite out of it.

stopped at the hood gas station after work one night (maybe 1am).

guy slides from the shadows and says "please help me with a few dollars. my baby needs pampers".

i said "your baby needs a father with a job".

i think the only reason he didn't hit me was he saw the p220 in the shoulder holster

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    last summer.

my best gal & i was walking downtown indy, sharing a sandwich when a guy walked up and begged me for money. he said he hadn't eaten in three days. my girl (a very fiery latina...think rosie perez with a sig) immediately bristled. i laughed out loud.

he had a double cheeseburger in his hand with a big bite out of it.

stopped at the hood gas station after work one night (maybe 1am).

guy slides from the shadows and says "please help me with a few dollars. my baby needs pampers".

i said "your baby needs a father with a job".

i think the only reason he didn't hit me was he saw the p220 in the shoulder holster
    Haven't see you for awhile

Top Bottom