Something I've noticed about Palmetto State Armory lately....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Seems ever since FN jumped into the AR market with their own rifles, PSA has been heavily pushing their other offerings. (PTAC, Freedom, stainless steel, melonite, nitride). And now, it looks like the days of "PSA Premium" and "PSA CHF", (both FN manufactured) uppers are coming to an end.

I thoroughly enjoyed picking up these high quality barreled uppers at great prices. Literally all but one of my rifles are built with these uppers and I wouldn't change a thing.

Anybody else seeing this? Are you as sad as I am? :tantrum:

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    They do seem to offer a lot less than they did, but I still seem them from time to time. I wondered the same, but also considered that they may be pushing their own stuff due to profit margin, and the influx of people wanting to build a usable rifle for as cheap as possible with no regard for barrel finish, material, or quality.

st33da

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Greenfield
    I have noticed this as well. I have 2 premium uppers on my wishlist for close to 3 months now and they are still listed as "out of stock."

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think we're seeing less of them because recently there was a smaller burst of buying between Christmas and Obama's announcements on executive actions. Things seem to be settling down some and the market will come back.

What I'm noticing more with PSA is some quality issues and attention to detail problems. I can say that as I have a package with two uppers heading back to them today. One has a canted front sight, and the other has a stripped thread in the forend rail along with a BCG that was supposed to be staked and never was.

I think they're like everyone else and got into a big rush to get guns out the doors into people hands. Personally I still think they're a great gun for the money, but they are also on my "trust but verify" list now. When my equipment gets back to me, I'll test the heck out of them before I trust either with my life.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I think we're seeing less of them because recently there was a smaller burst of buying between Christmas and Obama's announcements on executive actions. Things seem to be settling down some and the market will come back.

What I'm noticing more with PSA is some quality issues and attention to detail problems. I can say that as I have a package with two uppers heading back to them today. One has a canted front sight, and the other has a stripped thread in the forend rail along with a BCG that was supposed to be staked and never was.

I think they're like everyone else and got into a big rush to get guns out the doors into people hands. Personally I still think they're a great gun for the money, but they are also on my "trust but verify" list now. When my equipment gets back to me, I'll test the heck out of them before I trust either with my life.

What uppers were they if you don't mind? Were they PSA Premium, CHF, or something else?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What uppers were they if you don't mind? Were they PSA Premium, CHF, or something else?

The uppers in question:
    1.) "PSA 14.7" CHF Mid-length Lightweight 5.56 NATO 1/7 premium upper - with BCG and CH - 507749"
    2.) "PSA 10.5" CHF 300 AAC 1/8 SQR 9" - With BCG and Charging Handle - 41362"

Neither of those uppers were the cheap type. They should have both been excellent. All things aside, I don't think PSA makes mistakes on purpose, but I can also say my next build probably won't be a PSA. Not because they're bad, but just because I'd like to try something new.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    it looks like the days of "PSA Premium" and "PSA CHF", (both FN manufactured) uppers are coming to an end.

I thoroughly enjoyed picking up these high quality barreled uppers at great prices. Literally all but one of my rifles are built with these uppers and I wouldn't change a thing.

Anybody else seeing this? Are you as sad as I am? :tantrum:

I hadn't noticed, but it does make me sad if that's the case. The price/quality ratio for the PSA uppers with FN barrels was just right for my liking. I think the FN CHF MPI "machinegun steel" barrels are one of the best kept secrets out there if you want BOTH barrel life and accuracy. My very first AR build used a like new surplus FN 1:7 20-inch barrel and I was very impressed with it. When I built my carbine, I knew I wanted a PSA upper with a 1:7 FN CHF MPI "machinegun steel" barrel - and I have not been disappointed!

Top Bottom