Some Remington nylon bolt guns. NFS just show and tell.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    ...For the unenlightened (me), can I have some context or background. I have heard of Remington Nylon guns, I just have no basis as to why the "Wows", "Amazing" and "Sweet". I am not disagreeing with the response, just want to be able to appreciate these like the rest of you.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    ...For the unenlightened (me), can I have some context or background. I have heard of Remington Nylon guns, I just have no basis as to why the "Wows", "Amazing" and "Sweet". I am not disagreeing with the response, just want to be able to appreciate these like the rest of you.
    The Remington Nylon Semi Automatics were pretty popular. (Still bring good money)
    The bolt actions were less popular, and pretty collectible now.
    I think they were only made from 61-64, and there appears to be 12 possibly more in the pic.
    They also had a lever action version that I would imagine is harder to find than the bolt action.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    The Remington Nylon Semi Automatics were pretty popular. (Still bring good money)
    I think they were only made from 61-64, and there appears to be 12 possibly more in the pic.
    They also had a lever action version that I would imagine is harder to find than the bolt action.
    Thanks. This brings more questions now. Why? Why so popular? Was it the looks or were they know for high-quality? If they were so popular, but only made for a few years, Why did they stop making them? What calibers? Were they made for Hunting or Hanging on display?. Sorry for all they Q's, but it is interesting.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I have owned and shot several Nylon 66's. Some like them, some don't. The stocks were known for cracking and if you are buying one, look very closely everywhere. Seen them cracked along barrel, buttstock and receiver. I can remember way back when they weren't that well regarded and could be found pretty cheap. I guess nostalgia and some sense of collectability increased the value? I don't get it, IMO, weren't great shooters and would rather own many others. However, the black one I had, think it was called Apache, with nickel barrel sure was purdy. :):

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks. This brings more questions now. Why? Why so popular? Was it the looks or were they know for high-quality? If they were so popular, but only made for a few years, Why did they stop making them? What calibers? Were they made for Hunting or Hanging on display?. Sorry for all they Q's, but it is interesting.
    The bolt guns were the ones only made for a few years.
    The semi auto were made for quite some time.

As for the popularity, that's kind of hard to answer. I imagine people had different reasons for liking them. I think they were one of the first to use plastic in this way.

The lightweight and nice sights is what stands out to me. I still prefer the looks of a nice wood stocked rifle, but if I ran across one of the lever action nylon guns I would probably pick it up just because it's uncommon. (If it's not crazy money, which it probably would be)

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    My Dad had a Remington Nylon 76 which was the lever action version. Black stick and forearm white diamond and chrome (I think) receiver and barrel. Sadly he sold it around 1982.

atticachert

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2016
    NWI
    Made 62-64. They made about as many model nylon 11’s and 12’s as they did the brown nylon 76 (lever action). They nylon 10 was about 1/2 as many. The 76 Apache on the other hand is really hard to find. The lever actions are very well known for cracked stocks.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Made 62-64. They made about as many model nylon 11’s and 12’s as they did the brown nylon 76 (lever action). They nylon 10 was about 1/2 as many. The 76 Apache on the other hand is really hard to find. The lever actions are very well known for cracked stocks.
    Very nice.
    Did you buy these as a lot or pick them up through the years? Do you have any of the semi autos and lever action models also? Do you have one of the smoothbores?

atticachert

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2016
    NWI
    I thought they were all semi-automatics. I've never seen any bolt or lever guns. I think Attic has the market cornered. :bowdown:
    Very nice.
    Did you buy these as a lot or pick them up through the years? Do you have any of the semi autos and lever action models also? Do you have one of the smoothbores?
    One here and there. Hard to find these in mint condition. The rear sight is another issue. A lot of them have the sight missing because to put a scope on the sight had to be removed. A big windage screw rear sight will bring $200. I also have all 3 different lever actions and all the different 66’s.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    One here and there. Hard to find these in mint condition. The rear sight is another issue. A lot of them have the sight missing because to put a scope on the sight had to be removed. A big windage screw rear sight will bring $200. I also have all 3 different lever actions and all the different 66’s.
    Well done, that's quite the collection. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom