Some questions regarding sbr construction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Ok so I want to build an ar15 sbr. So I order the lower have it sent to my ffl. Once the lower is received and transfered to me on the form 4473 then what? Should I then fill out the form 1 and send off the lower to be engraved with the appropriate info? Should I wait to have the receiver engraved until the form 1 is returned to me? Once the receiver is transfered to me on the 4473 does the ffl leave the equation?

Also I am planing on setting up a trust for nfa items. What is the best root to go to do this? Quicken Will Maker, Legal Zoon..? I live in Johnson County and am in the Greenwood Police Departments jurisdiction as far as CLEO goes, does anyone know Greenwood PD's stance on signing off on NFA items?

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I am new to NFA items but will help you the best that I can. I hear many different thoughts on the engraving and when you should have it done. Some people think it's best to have it done before sending the form 1 encase it was lost/stolen. That way you just have a lost/stolen receiver rather than a NFA receiver. I think it's more how you prefer to do it. Unless you're buying the rifle complete, form 4, then the FFL will have nothing to do for you once you receive your receiver. I have no answers for you on the trust since I'm not doing my form 1 that way. Good luck

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I wait until the engraved reciever is in hand before I send off the form 1, for the reason mentioned above.

Sorry, I can't help with your CLEO and trust questions.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    I have been looking at the prices of complete sbr uppers. and it seems to me that after transfer fees for the lower and all is said and done, I'm going to have spent about $1,500.00+. I was thinking that it could be significantly cheaper to purchase a 16.1" ar have the lower reciver registered as an sbr, then have a smith cut down the barrel of the upper, gastube, and rethread for a flash hider. Am I thinking right here, any one know a smith in the central Indiana area who could do someting like this? What would they charge? Im wanting to go really short, probably about 7" .

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have been looking at the prices of complete sbr uppers. and it seems to me that after transfer fees for the lower and all is said and done, I'm going to have spent about $1,500.00+. I was thinking that it could be significantly cheaper to purchase a 16.1" ar have the lower reciver registered as an sbr, then have a smith cut down the barrel of the upper, gastube, and rethread for a flash hider. Am I thinking right here, any one know a smith in the central Indiana area who could do someting like this? What would they charge? Im wanting to go really short, probably about 7" .

Cutting down the barrel of an existing upper is not a problem at all, but your really not saving any money in the end, your just spreading out the cost of your build.

Also, your prices for SBR uppers seems a bit high, you must be getting your pricing for a REALLY nice upper.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Cutting down the barrel of an existing upper is not a problem at all, but your really not saving any money in the end, your just spreading out the cost of your build.

Also, your prices for SBR uppers seems a bit high, you must be getting your pricing for a REALLY nice upper.

Could you possible point me in the direction of some uppers in the $500.00 range. Or heck even cheaper so I can just see what is out there... Most of the stuff I have found has been from clicking around on the links provided at the top of ar15.com message boards. One thing that does seem to push the price up quite a bit is the free-float hand rails. What I have heard about the cheaper free-floats does not make me happy, problems with fight and finish and things of that nature. But I guess it always goes back to "you get what you pay for". So I guess I just may have to come to grips with the fact that to get what I want I may just have to shell out that 1500.00+...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    You do NOT want to wait until you receive your form back or even until the form is approved. At that point in time, you have a Title II firearm that must meet the requirements which means the engraving must have already been done.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Could you possible point me in the direction of some uppers in the $500.00 range. Or heck even cheaper so I can just see what is out there... Most of the stuff I have found has been from clicking around on the links provided at the top of ar15.com message boards. One thing that does seem to push the price up quite a bit is the free-float hand rails. What I have heard about the cheaper free-floats does not make me happy, problems with fight and finish and things of that nature. But I guess it always goes back to "you get what you pay for". So I guess I just may have to come to grips with the fact that to get what I want I may just have to shell out that 1500.00+...

When you figure in the cost of a quality rail system and B/BC/CH, it is very easy to get in the $1000 price range.

1) A BCM 11.5" upper runs about $485.
    2) BCM B/BC runs about $130
    3) CH runs about $15, but I prefer the PRI and it runs $90.
    4) LaRue 7" rail runs about $275, IIRC.
    5) Troy rear BUIS $120.

Throw in optics and your budget is toast!

Top Bottom