Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IC 35-42-2-3
    Provocation
    Sec. 3. A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally engages in conduct that is likely to provoke a reasonable man to commit battery commits provocation, a Class C infraction.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.2. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.32.

I would think the Westboro group could probably be charged. Pity (in their case) that it's only an infraction.

Blessings,
    Bill

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    IC 35-42-2-3
    Provocation
    Sec. 3. A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally engages in conduct that is likely to provoke a reasonable man to commit battery commits provocation, a Class C infraction.

I would think the Westboro group could probably be charged. Pity (in their case) that it's only an infraction.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Wouldn't this be against libertarianism?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    IC 35-42-2-3
    Provocation

Blessings,
    Bill

One good @$$ whoopin and I'd bet they never showed up to another funeral again. Just sayin.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have said it once and I will say it again, they are like bullies, ignoore them and soon they will go away.

You are spot on with these idiots. They want media attention and acknowledgement so don't give it to them in any way. If you do go after them then they file suit against you and that funds their future events. However, if someone were to wait until after the funeral and do a little ski mask beatdown then that would seem like a logical response as well:bat:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The Patriot Guard has strict guidelines on how to deal with these idiots. You don't. You simply stand their and try to block the family from having to see them. They warn the participants that they're looking for lawsuits and not to engage them.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    IC 35-42-2-3
    Provocation

Blessings,
    Bill

Yes it is a shame it is only an infraction, but enough of these I imagine could be fairly expensive to defend against in the long term...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I may regret asking this, but just what exactly is the message those leaflets are meant to convey? "Come join our church where we **** on the dead and demean the message of Christ through our intolerance and hate?"
    They claim, according to their website, that their aim is to wake up people/soldiers to the "fact" that they are voting/fighting for the immoral actions of homosexuals and such. If we don't send soldiers to war, we don't defend or support immoral acts. It's twisted, IMO.

You are spot on with these idiots. They want media attention and acknowledgement so don't give it to them in any way. If you do go after them then they file suit against you and that funds their future events. However, if someone were to wait until after the funeral and do a little ski mask beatdown then that would seem like a logical response as well:bat:
    The local police were there to keep WBC from breaking the law, but they were also there to keep anyone interested in physically hurting the WBC's members or having their rights violated.

One American Legion member that I stood near was worried for WBC's safety because "of all the rednecks in Decatur that'll hurt 'em". Those were his words, not mine. I just thought them funny.

The Patriot Guard has strict guidelines on how to deal with these idiots. You don't. You simply stand their and try to block the family from having to see them. They warn the participants that they're looking for lawsuits and not to engage them.
    Wifey hit their website the other night after she found out that WBC was going to attend the funeral. She didn't know much about them and wanted to research them a bit. She tried to leave a comment on their site but you have to give them a donation for the comment to be sent.

Also, at the Huntington funeral for Clements, the Guard surrounded the cemetery while the burial was going on, protecting it from anyone that wanted to encroach and cause problems.

[/B]

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Do a Youtube search for these whackjobs. No, not just the ones where Freddy is spewing his crap, look for the ones who counter protest, attack and attempt an assault on them.

You can also do a search for the counter protest at the San Diego Comic Con where the fun loving people attending SDCC decided to put up their own signs to mock the protest by WBC. It was hilarious.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wouldn't this be against libertarianism?

Possibly. I might even accept "probably." It would be turning their own tactics against them; Their behavior now is to incite others to assault them, file lawsuits, and use the resultant income as a slightly unsteady revenue stream. Cut that off using the pre-existing law rather than direct violence and you remove a group that uses the law not as a shield but as a sword by removing its funding.

The question in my mind is, "Does the family have a right to bury their dead without being exposed to these money-grubbing do-nothings out only for their own personal gain at others' expense?" and I find I have to answer that with an unequivocal "yes."

Blessings,
    Bill

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm always undecided when it comes to Westboro Baptist Church. On the one hand, I think they are complete scum that deserve to be beaten within an inch of their life. However, I understand the First Amendment and even though I despise them, I believe they have a right to stand on a public street and protest. This is why I hope I never have to attend a funeral where they are present. My disgust of them might override my belief in their First Amendment rights.

Just explain to them that you have First Amendment rights just as they have, and beating them is the way you've chosen to express your right.

Top Bottom