• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Anyone here know how to do a SOA Lift (Spring over axle)? I am curious as to the cost/time spent. This would be on an old toyota if that matters. I myself have no tools or space or know-how to do it myself, but have always been wondering how much it would be to have some local Joe do it for me.

Cheers :patriot:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    <------ I did mine 6in suspention 4in body. Body lift was and will be easier atleast for me it was . My Skyjacker kit came with everything but still had to do some cutting and welding . And do not forget if ya go up in tire size you need to change out your front and rear gear or you will kill your tranny.Im running 38.5s and ended up with 5.13s front and rear . Oh did I mention I only get 7 mpg lol !

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I am just not set up for that kind of major mechanical work at home. But I gather that I should get a kit, then get a mechanic to quote me an install...

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    It isn't that difficult to do in fact I believe several companies offer a pretty much bolt on kit except for welding the spring perches on the tubes. It comes highly recomended from me. I did it on my Suzuki Samurai. My sons 88 Toyota we did a complete solid axle swap. His is a trail only rig now as it is beat to crap.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Im running 38.5s and ended up with 5.13s front and rear . Oh did I mention I only get 7 mpg lol !

It's not the miles per gallon that count; it's the fun per mile!:rockwoot:I'm lucky to get teens turning 33's with 3.73's. As far as the soa goes, here's a link that shows what one guy did during the build of a Land Cruiser.

Untitled Document

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Nice link- thanks!

You mechanic types make it sound so easy... but I don't have a welder, grinder, garage space... etc.

I wonder- should I just be looking into a body life and 5" + of tire increase... would that be simpler?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You have a solid axle front? IF SO, then it wouldn't be that difficult to do. I have a garage, welder, etc. if you are interested...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My toy before the kids got expensive...

jeep.jpg

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I honestly wouldnt mod a car or truck in anyway unless you 1. can work and fix it yourself or 2. have a bunch of money to pay someone

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Your FJ55 looks really nice.

I would keep it stock and if your looking for a 4x4 to lift and beat up get something different.

However a lifted FJ55 does look good.

IMG_0705.jpg

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I honestly wouldnt mod a car or truck in anyway unless you 1. can work and fix it yourself or 2. have a bunch of money to pay someone

Right- the purpose of this thread is to try and find out how much. This isn't something like an oil change where I can just call a mechanic for a price :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The "spring over" part is the easy part.

Then you have to deal with brake lines and driveshaft angles (not too hard) and steering and dealing with axle wrap (impossible unless you know what you're doing and have the right tools).

I know a guy up by Sheridan, who had built his own Jeeps and a buggy and does very nice work. He put the lift on my Cherokee.

As for how much, I'd say to have someone do it right at a good shop it would run you $2k-$3k. I have no idea what the guy in my club would charge, or if he would even want to.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The "spring over" part is the easy part.

Then you have to deal with brake lines and driveshaft angles (not too hard) and steering and dealing with axle wrap (impossible unless you know what you're doing and have the right tools).

I know a guy up by Sheridan, who had built his own Jeeps and a buggy and does very nice work. He put the lift on my Cherokee.

As for how much, I'd say to have someone do it right at a good shop it would run you $2k-$3k. I have no idea what the guy in my club would charge, or if he would even want to.

Thx for the ballpark figure :yesway:

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Looks like the Badlands to me. I love that place.
    For info on your cruiser have you tried IH8MUD Forums this is a web site dedicated to Land Cruisers. Also you may try Hoosier Cruisers: The Official Indiana Toyota Landcruiser Club for an Indiana based LC club. I am sure one of these guys can help you out. They are an active bunch and like to get out and wheel. They usually have a bunch come down to our Toys for Tots ride every year. There are quite a few around Indy too.

Top Bottom