so you're on the jury -- what would you have done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I'd stand up and say, "If you point that gun at me again I'll shove it up your sphincter."

First—and it’s hard to believe this even happened, but numerous eye witness accounts attest to it—shortly before ending the cross-examination for the day Assistant Prosecutor Aritha Siringaspicked up Wafer’s shotgun and pointed it directly at the jury, finger on the trigger.
    One assumes this was done through negligence, rather than intentionally—it would be most awkward to see Prosecutor Siringas bring charges against herself for fourteen counts of aggravated assault with a firearm.
    Nevertheless, the jury was sufficiently alarmed by being swept by the shotgun’s muzzle that there were audible gasps, one jury was seen with her hands clasped to her face, and Judge Hathaway was compelled to call a sidebar and order Siringas to keep the muzzle of the shotgun pointed downward, thank you very much.
    Renisha McBride | Theodore Wafer | End-of-Day #8 Wrap-Up

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Considering that the defendant said that the shooting was an accident it seems like an odd strategy for the prosecution to attempt to accidentally shoot the jury.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    This is not really a huge deal to me. I guess that comes from my military career where we pointed weapons at each other in training all the time. From empty guns to guns loaded with blanks and fitted with MILES gear (high tech laser tag) to live fire lanes training and live fire shoot houses where your buddy may be engaging targets a few feet off your shoulder.
    If I were on the jury, I would have expected to see the prosecutor check to see if the shotgun was clear when they picked it up. If that was done, I would not have freaked out and threatened to shove it up anyone's a $$.
    It's all situation dependent, I suppose, and everyone has different levels of training, comfort and experience.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I may not be very familiar with courtroom protocol, but in that situation, I think I would speak up politely but firmly and request that guns not be pointed at the jurors.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would say one thing ~ noting the stupidly of the prosecutor, I would have a very hard time finding the defendant guilty.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In my Trial Practice class way back when I was a 2L, we were "trying" a mock murder case. One of the guys in my class wanted to add some realism, so he brought a snub nose .38 to be part of the evidence. During the closing, he waved the gun around, finger on trigger. Actually, it was worse than that. He pointed the gun at the members of the mock jury (myself included) in an attempt to influence us regarding mock fear the mock victim would have felt during her mock murder.

We had words.

As a side note, for you trial lawyers or aspiring trial lawyers out, thinking of that class has reminded me how "paint by numbers" NITA teaches how to try a case. Thankfully, I've forgotten most of what that material taught.

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Mistrial or a GREAT bit in closing argument!

I was thinking the same thing. IANAL but I remember in a movie where a prosecutor tried to get the defendent to pick up a knife and hold it or something and it was objected or something(IANAL...all I know I see in movies)...because they didn't want the jury to be able to visualize the knife in the defendents hands or something.

Anyway...IANAL...thankfully all I know about guns I did NOT see on TV.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Considering that the defendant said that the shooting was an accident it seems like an odd strategy for the prosecution to attempt to accidentally shoot the jury.

Especially using a gun that has an alleged history of accidentally discharging. Good thing the jurors were not drunk and high.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Hookeye, I would agree with you that it does happen but it happens more often to police than military for sure.
    In the military, safe weapons handling is drilled into you on an ongoing basis as long as you wear a uniform and carry a weapon. That is not generally the case with cops. Most LEO'S from urban environments that I know/have known, don't know much when it comes to weapons, aside from what they carry personally.
    In the military, especially combat arms, we lived with weapons. Trained, ate, slept and fought with them. They become second nature. Within arms reach.
    Ask any soldier who has deployed for a year how many times they reached for their weapon the first few days that they were home on leave.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....I remember in a movie where a prosecutor tried to get the defendent to pick up a knife and hold it or something and it was objected or something....

It would be great for a prosecutor to get the murder weapon in the defendant's hands in front of the jury and that hardly ever happens (unduly prejudicial) UNLESS the defendant has made some sort of claim about the weapon, won't fit in hand, I don't know, something like that, where having him hold it is legitimate rebuttal.

If it were me....and my client were believable and had already testified, if the prosecutor tried that in open court, I'd have my client practiced up to stage whisper something like "I've never touched that thing and I'm not going to now." If it can come off as spontaneous and legitimate.....but it's risky.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Depending on where I'm located in the jury box, and the proximity of said Prosecutor, probably the same thing when a fellow Officer drew his gun and 'jokingly' pointed it at me, grab the barrel and smack Assistant Prosecutor Aritha Siringas right in the face. :laugh:

'Curiously', the Officer in question never pulled that stunt on anyone, again. :scratch:

Top Bottom