So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Last night I cast 550 9mm bullets. Tonight I hope to cast another 500-600. Resizing die arrives on Monday and I hope to pick up powder coat over the weekend. Let's see how well this works. If it does, it will save me a ton of money and .40 and .45 molds will come next.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Last night I cast 550 9mm bullets. Tonight I hope to cast another 500-600. Resizing die arrives on Monday and I hope to pick up powder coat over the weekend. Let's see how well this works. If it does, it will save me a ton of money and .40 and .45 molds will come next.

I cast for a while tonight, decided I was done, looked in the bucket and thought, "That has to be around a thousand bullets". Emptied the bucket and it fit perfectly in the same size container as the previous 550 went in to.

:wallbash:

It is always about half of what it feels like you have cast

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Looking to slug my cz52 barrel in the near future so I can start reloading 7.62x25. I have a casting pot and lead even though I don't cast my own got it in a lot of reloading stuff. Could I melt the lead and fill the barrel about an inch, and tap out the cooled lead to get the actual bullet diameter needed?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Looking to slug my cz52 barrel in the near future so I can start reloading 7.62x25. I have a casting pot and lead even though I don't cast my own got it in a lot of reloading stuff. Could I melt the lead and fill the barrel about an inch, and tap out the cooled lead to get the actual bullet diameter needed?

I used egg sinkers to slug my barrels and revolver cylinders. If the OD is a little small just squeeze the ends a bit in a vice and it will expand the center. Something like these...https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...ullet-weights-egg-sinkers/702213.uts?slotId=0

I used a Q-Tip swab to oil the barrel and put some on the sinker before sending it through the bore with a wooden dowel rod.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I used egg sinkers to slug my barrels and revolver cylinders. If the OD is a little small just squeeze the ends a bit in a vice and it will expand the center. Something like these...https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...ullet-weights-egg-sinkers/702213.uts?slotId=0

I used a Q-Tip swab to oil the barrel and put some on the sinker before sending it through the bore with a wooden dowel rod.

I seen midway has a kit but not looking to spend $36 plus ship for a one time deal and more then likely the only x25 I'll own.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Going to be cranking out some .223 and 8mm Mauser today. Gotta feed the AR and the Mauser soon. By the By - Stopped in at Kentuckiana Reloading in Clarksville the other day. WOW what a selection of powder and bullets and primers. Nice people to do business with.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

30 caliber muzzle loading balls are on sale right now at Midway, $8. These are soft pure lead and in my experience pound through bores well, leaving a lead ring at the muzzle around your dowel.

I used 32 caliber balls (.315) to slug 30 caliber barrels and .375 balls to slug 9mm (.356). Still thinking that 30 cal would work for you, but there might be a size closer to your caliber?

Hardwood dowel rods cut to ~6" make the pounding simple, its very easy once you've cleared the muzzle. Lay them end to end until you are through. I wouldn't trust a steel hammer anywhere near the muzzle, it can get away from you fast.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Just got back from some chrono/range time with my 629 using some Sport Pistol and Missouri 240gr coated bullets. I made 4 different loads using this as a guide Reduced Load Calculator to see how close it's recommendations are to my actual chrono results. Alliant's data shows a max load of 8.6gr gives you 1091fps...my results were 1097 so I knew their data was mirroring my results, at least on the high end! The RLC gave 7.7gr for 1000fps, 6.8 for 900fps, and 5.8 for 800fps. My results using the 1000 and 900fps recommendations were spot on while the 800fps load was smidge slow....in my gun 6.0gr gives me right at 800fps. I thought it was pretty cool how close the calculator was and how it might help folks save some time/money getting a load worked up.

Oh, and an fyi, Sport Pistol the absolute bomb diggity if you're looking for a clean burning, great metering powder. 200 rounds sent downrange and other than the normal staining around the front of the cylinder the gun looked unshot.

Last edited:

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Did about 50 9mm earlier and had to stop. Daughter has Honor Society induction ceremonies this afternoon. I want to load up another 250 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Just got back from some chrono/range time with my 629 using some Sport Pistol and Missouri 240gr coated bullets. I made 4 different loads using this as a guide Reduced Load Calculator to see how close it's recommendations are to my actual chrono results. Alliant's data shows a max load of 8.6gr gives you 1091fps...my results were 1097 so I knew their data was mirroring my results, at least on the high end! The RLC gave 7.7gr for 1000fps, 6.8 for 900fps, and 5.8 for 800fps. My results using the 1000 and 900fps recommendations were spot on while the 800fps load was smidge slow....in my gun 6.0gr gives me right at 800fps. I thought it was pretty cool how close the calculator was and how it might help folks save some time/money getting a load worked up.

Oh, and an fyi, Sport Pistol the absolute bomb diggity if you're looking for a clean burning, great metering powder. 200 rounds sent downrange and the other than the normal staining around the front of the cylinder the gun looked unshot.

I worked up some .40 loads last year with Sport Pistol that were REALLY promising, but just ran out of time to pursue it any further, wish I had now.

I might try some .38 spl loads with it and see what I get.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dammit, now you guys got me thinkin' I need to try Sport Pistol. :rolleyes: Anyone got experience using this on similar loading's for 9mm handgun and PCC?

Meanwhile, sloooooooooooooowly working through load development on 300 BLK and .308 Win.

HOTSHOT357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2018
    Lafontaine
    I couldn't go to sleep last night. So instead of tossing & turning, I got out of bed @ 3:30 and loaded some .357 mag ammo on my "new Dillon SDB"!!!!

Top Bottom