So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    300 45ACP today along with 308 brass prep. Dare I say it, I’m done reloading for the winter because the weather is consistently good enough to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Did some 9mm last night.....prolly finish off the box of bullets then switch to .357

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Processing 3k 223 brass. Wet tumble, dry, lube, deprime/resize, trim, chamfer, debur, brush, primer pocket uniform/ream, retumble, cull by headstamp. Similar weight headstamps mixed. I’m so friggin sick of this.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Just won 250 unfired PPU 38 S&W brass off GB. Just need to get some .361 bullets and go to my local ffl shop either Monday or Tuesday to pick up a new to me S&W 33-1. Figure replace a H&R victor in order to reload without worry's of blowing up my gun. May also see if Kempfs has 38 S&W dies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Loaded up some .45 Auto. I'm filling a plastic container that originally held 2 lb of peanuts. I'm guessing maybe 500 rounds of .45 Auto will fit.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Peanut jars make excellent ammo cans.

I use them to take ammo to the range. Sometimes I load directly into them, other times scoop out of existing stock in ammo cans.

I also use coffee and oatmeal canisters for brass. I use electrical tape to make big numbers/letters on the front so I can see which is which on the shelves at a glance. A bit of masking tape marks canisters for "dirty" brass, no masking tape = clean brass. It makes it easy to dump brass in the right bin when I return and know what needs to be tumbled.

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    Loading .44-40, 200 grain RNFP over 7.5 grains Unique. Those paper thin necks caused a little heartburn at first but it looks like I have that sorted out. Using .429 diameter bullet to give .001 over barrel groove diameter, and ended up using a .44 magnum expander to avoid bulging cases. Discovered also it is critical to crimp separately and am using a Redding Profile Crimp die for that process. Pretty impressed with the Redding crimp die.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Loading .44-40, 200 grain RNFP over 7.5 grains Unique. Those paper thin necks caused a little heartburn at first but it looks like I have that sorted out. Using .429 diameter bullet to give .001 over barrel groove diameter, and ended up using a .44 magnum expander to avoid bulging cases. Discovered also it is critical to crimp separately and am using a Redding Profile Crimp die for that process. Pretty impressed with the Redding crimp die.

I too like their Profile Crimp dies. Got 2 of them to replace the FCDs that came with my Lee 4 die sets. I also found if you're using light loads where bullet pull isn't an issue their taper crimp dies work great. In my GP100, using a taper instead of a light profile crimp improved my favorite load's groups a bit. They might also help the brass last longer due to working it less in the case mouth area.

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    I too like their Profile Crimp dies. Got 2 of them to replace the FCDs that came with my Lee 4 die sets. I also found if you're using light loads where bullet pull isn't an issue their taper crimp dies work great. In my GP100, using a taper instead of a light profile crimp improved my favorite load's groups a bit. They might also help the brass last longer due to working it less in the case mouth area.

This is my first experience with the Redding Profile Crimp die. The Lee FCD crimp portion seems to work fine for me in some calibers but I don't care for the post sizing part of it. I went to great lengths slugging the barrel of the .44 40 due to so much possible variation in .44 40 groove diameters and I did't want to swage the bullets down with the post sizing part of the FCD.
    That being said I found out the Lee .44 40 FCD is considered a rifle cartridge and does't have the post sizing feature, so it would have probably worked fine for me as well.

I usually seat and crimp in separate stations but a fellow reloader gave me the RCBS .44 40 die set and empty brass years ago and it was seat/crimp in one die. That just didn't work on this round.
    I had to get a gun chambered in .44 40 since I already had the dies and empty brass. I figured it was costing me money otherwise.;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    44-40 is an excellent cartridge and you guys are spot on with the Redding profile crimp die. Those things work well with all the old Winchester cartridges like 38-40 and 32-20. For the old Colt SAAs and New Service I size at .427.

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    44-40 is an excellent cartridge and you guys are spot on with the Redding profile crimp die. Those things work well with all the old Winchester cartridges like 38-40 and 32-20. For the old Colt SAAs and New Service I size at .427.

I slugged my third gen. Colt SAA at .428 groove diameter, thus using .429 lead. The chambers all slugged at .432 and was a little concerned as I would have liked the chambers more on the order of .430 or so. The gun shoots very accurate with .429 so I'll stay where I'm at, shot 50 or 60 rounds today with no leading. Fun round to shoot and load.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My Colts, SAA, 1878, and New Service are all from 1890 to 1920. They have problems chambering anything bigger than .427. The Winchesters eat anything.

Top Bottom