So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    No problem.
    One thing I forgot to mention was that I had RCBS machine me a customized seating plug for my seater die for the FTX.
    I don't know what brand of dies you're using, but if you're using anything other than Hornady, you'll need a seater plug that can handle the point of the FTX without squishing it or canting the bullet as it seats.
    It's possible that Hornady's dies come with the appropriate seater plug, but if they don't, I know for that they sell plugs for their own FTX bullets separately, and here's the one you'll need if you have Hornady dies without the plug for the FTX - Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Die Seater Stem 44 Cal (225 FTX 265
    If you're using RCBS dies, just call their customer support (1-800-379-1732) and tell them what you want, and they'll tell you to send a single sample bullet and a check or money order for about $15 (I forget the exact price now), and they'll machine and send you a custom seating plug for your bullet.
    They did that for me and they even sent the bullet back, albeit with the tip blacked up a bit from a marker they obviously had used as part of their process.
    If you're using either Lee, Lyman, or Redding, odds are that they'll do the same for you to, with only the price as a variable.

I spent the money and bought the Hornady Dies for both 45-70 and 44. I am GTG. They clear the tip, NP. I did notice something about the Hornady 44s/ mag sizing die. It really works the brass. I have been using the Lee sizer and decap die and the Hornady expander and seat and crimp die.

All the Die company's seem to be great about CS these days. I have a few of everybody's dies. RCBS, Lee and Hornady dies. Thanks for the tip and the contact info. Hopefully it will help someone.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    A couple of years ago I called RCBS when I was getting ready to load the FTX. They sent me a plug marked for a Barnes bullet. It was sent to me for free and seems to work just fine. They might have something specifically for the FTX by now. I love dealing with RCBS. I called this week to ask which plug would work for the XTP and they are sending me one, again at no charge.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A couple of years ago I called RCBS when I was getting ready to load the FTX. They sent me a plug marked for a Barnes bullet. It was sent to me for free and seems to work just fine. They might have something specifically for the FTX by now. I love dealing with RCBS. I called this week to ask which plug would work for the XTP and they are sending me one, again at no charge.

You can't beat CS like that!!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My new 44 HP seater plug came in today so i got a little bit done today. I loaded about 50 rounds of 44 FTXs for my HandiRifle so my wife will have plenty to shoot the rest of the season. Then I switched out plugs and made up a few 240 gr XTPs for my Smith. Now I just need to try them out. I am also waiting for my Berry's I ordered to make up plinking loads. Cabelas had a box of 500 on sale last week and I got free shipping. I guess actually it was all free because this is an early birthday present from my parents!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My new 44 HP seater plug came in today so i got a little bit done today. I loaded about 50 rounds of 44 FTXs for my HandiRifle so my wife will have plenty to shoot the rest of the season. Then I switched out plugs and made up a few 240 gr XTPs for my Smith. Now I just need to try them out. I am also waiting for my Berry's I ordered to make up plinking loads. Cabelas had a box of 500 on sale last week and I got free shipping. I guess actually it was all free because this is an early birthday present from my parents!

Sounds like a great day! I hope to get some 300wm done tomorrow. It a plan anyway! :-) We shall see how that plays out. I was going to load up some of the 265 grain 444's today for 44mag but have decided to get some magnum pistol primers for those. The Hornady book shows them for the 265 grain 44 mag loads. Gonna play by the same rules just to be safe.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'm reloading for the first time ever. 45 ACP 230 gr berry's coated, Winchester Auto comp, CCI primmers.

Make sure and do the "plunk" test as people talk about. I've got only 200ish Rds loaded (45, 230 rn hornady, unique 5.9gn, Winchester primers, can't remember my crimp off hand...) But was very discouraged when my rounds failed the plunk test. I seated them a touch more so my COAL was 1.255, and tightened my crimp a hair. After that all was well. I only say that because my case headspace checker said I was good the whole time. Just an observation from a complete newbie!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    The plunk test is the process of dropping loaded rounds into your barrel to check that it will fit. Lyman makes a chamber checker, but if you want to make sure your reloads fits your guns, do the plunk test. Simply remove the barrel and drop a round. If it fits flush, or some will be just below flush, you are good. If the round sticks up, the round will not cycle in your gun. Here is a link that might help determine if a round doesn't fit.

Reloading Tips: The Plunk Test - Shooting Times

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Pgreene78 is spot on. I was just going to post the same link.

As a rule, if I am loading a new round for the first time I usually don't load more then 5 rounds just to be safe. Five oops are easier then a few dozen, or few hundred to redo or waste.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The plunk test is the process of dropping loaded rounds into your barrel to check that it will fit. Lyman makes a chamber checker, but if you want to make sure your reloads fits your guns, do the plunk test. Simply remove the barrel and drop a round. If it fits flush, or some will be just below flush, you are good. If the round sticks up, the round will not cycle in your gun. Here is a link that might help determine if a round doesn't fit.

Reloading Tips: The Plunk Test - Shooting Times

Yep, and you're spot on by advising using the barrel of the gun you intend to use the ammo in preference to the chamber checker, due mainly to tiny dimensional variances.
    Of course, "plunk" testing works even more easily with a revolver's cylinder.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So what are you reloading at the moment? Please share.

Organizing my ammo since the election. I am painting/color coding ammo cans and getting an accurate inventory.

Once I am done in the magazine (well, it's a large nook in the basement where I built shelves to stow ammo), I will be rolling a bunch of 9mm next.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    So the saying about a blind squirrel is actually true...

My first try at 45acp: 5 grains of HP38 under a 230gr rn Xtreme with a 1.250 length in Blazer brass spp cases

My SR1911 loooves these !!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So the saying about a blind squirrel is actually true...

My first try at 45acp: 5 grains of HP38 under a 230gr rn Xtreme with a 1.250 length in Blazer brass spp cases

My SR1911 loooves these !!

It's cool how sometimes you can stumble upon a load that performs the way you were hoping right off.
    I had that happen with both the 165 grain Barnes TTSX and the 180 grain Sierra 180 grain spitzer Pro-Hunter, both of which would plop five just inside 1 MOA at 100 yards out of my .30-06.
    Meanwhile, I couldn't get the much favored 167 grain Sierra Match-King inside 3" at the same distance.
    It's weird how some guns are.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's cool how sometimes you can stumble upon a load that performs the way you were hoping right off.
    I had that happen with both the 165 grain Barnes TTSX and the 180 grain Sierra 180 grain spitzer Pro-Hunter, both of which would plop five just inside 1 MOA at 100 yards out of my .30-06.
    Meanwhile, I couldn't get the much favored 167 grain Sierra Match-King inside 3" at the same distance.
    It's weird how some guns are.

I am in a similar boat with my 190gn Match Kings. Just starting to load them in my 300wm. Best I can do so far is about an inch at a 100 yards. I can put 5 threw the same hole with the 180gn SST's. I haven't loaded enough of the 190's to find the sweet spot yet. But I will find it and I am having a good time doing it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The 45 Colt shell plate came in the other day. Set up the press this morning, loaded 12 rounds with 5g of 700X with a 255g RNFP home cast . Family range trip this afternoon to try them.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The 45 Colt shell plate came in the other day. Set up the press this morning, loaded 12 rounds with 5g of 700X with a 255g RNFP home cast . Family range trip this afternoon to try them.

Excellent!
    I've come to really like 700-X.
    I was under the mistaken belief that it would have the same terrible metering qualities as 800-X (like cornflakes), but it turns out to meter quite well through my Uniflow, never varying more than 0.10 grain either way.
    You won't get top MV with .45 Colt using it, but it will nicely match factory load level and it's not always desired to go hell bent for leather for this excellent caliber, and a little bit goes a long way.

Top Bottom