So I went shopping for a gun safe - boy was I surprised...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Secure it to the floor, it's alot harder to pry on the door if you can't get proper leverage with a long pry bar. I saw a video on you tube where 2 guys got the door pride open in less than 2 minutes, the trick was getting it on the floor where a 5 foot pry bar did the trick.

madvarminter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    franklin
    To make a long story short I was in the market for a gun safe. I didn't/don't know a whole lot about the ins and outs of them. I know I didn't want a cheap china safe from Menards or Tractor Supply. I had heard good things about Johnson safes on here so I gave him a call. I asked him about his safes and what the lead time was. He said if I ordered now I could have it around January. Holy cow. I had no idea the lead time was that long. That immediately removed that one from my choices. I checked another place on the north side "Independence Safe Company" I was looking for a Liberty safe. They had nothing. The only thing they had were some import safes coming in 3 weeks or so.

This was kinda disappointing but I guess it's follow the gun market. I tried online and looked at "Steelwater Safes" but they too were out of the "better" versions and even their lower level safes had a 3+ week lead time. I ended up going with an American Security (AMSEC) safe. I was told these are made in the USA and are decent quality. Anyone had any experience with them?

I also looked at SecureIT but they had a very long wait time and the interior storage capacity was pretty small.
    Did you happen to ask Jeff if he had any in stock its been a while since I was there but he used to stock some

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Did you happen to ask Jeff if he had any in stock its been a while since I was there but he used to stock some
    When I was there last year he had a couple of trade ins. The ones he had at the time didn't meet my needs, but he readily mentioned them to me and showed them to me when I went out to his shop.

So good reminder for folks to see if he happens to have anything from a trade in, etc.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    To make a long story short I was in the market for a gun safe. I didn't/don't know a whole lot about the ins and outs of them. I know I didn't want a cheap china safe from Menards or Tractor Supply. I had heard good things about Johnson safes on here so I gave him a call. I asked him about his safes and what the lead time was. He said if I ordered now I could have it around January. Holy cow. I had no idea the lead time was that long. That immediately removed that one from my choices. I checked another place on the north side "Independence Safe Company" I was looking for a Liberty safe. They had nothing. The only thing they had were some import safes coming in 3 weeks or so.

This was kinda disappointing but I guess it's follow the gun market. I tried online and looked at "Steelwater Safes" but they too were out of the "better" versions and even their lower level safes had a 3+ week lead time. I ended up going with an American Security (AMSEC) safe. I was told these are made in the USA and are decent quality. Anyone had any experience with them?

I also looked at SecureIT but they had a very long wait time and the interior storage capacity was pretty small.
    Lol. I went to Galyans in Plainfield one day a LONG time ago, after work. Was just going to pick up some gun solvent and patches. Drove home with a Browning gun safe in the bed of the trucl. Had to scramble to line up guys to help me unload it and get it inside the house...

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    After doing tons of research I realized most gun safe fire ratings are garbage and they aren't that hard to break into. That being said it takes a little time and effort to get into it and that stops most average smash and grab criminals.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After doing tons of research I realized most gun safe fire ratings are garbage and they aren't that hard to break into. That being said it takes a little time and effort to get into it and that stops most average smash and grab criminals.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the "gun safes" from the big box stores are glorified metal boxes. There's still a place for those and they are an obstacle for a smash and grab robbery, but the fire rating is where it's at if you want real protection. An actual vault or gun safe is going to start around $3,000 and go up from there. I didn't want to pay the price for the fort knox I bought, but it was a buy once, cry once type of investment.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    From the standpoint of quality I can attest that American Security safes are GTG.

I bought a Teton model 30 some years ago from Galyan's. It has a traditional dial lock system, none of this pushbutton hooey. I think you could have done much worse.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Secure it to the floor, it's alot harder to pry on the door if you can't get proper leverage with a long pry bar. I saw a video on you tube where 2 guys got the door pride open in less than 2 minutes, the trick was getting it on the floor where a 5 foot pry bar did the trick.
    Yup. If they can knock it over, it's ten times easier to pop the door.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, looking at the Liberty Safes - what's the deal with the mechanical lock w/ the key? Do you need the key and combination? :dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That seems like a bad idea... Ever watch the Lock Picking Lawyer on You Tube?

I'll take a dial over something pickable every time.
    I don't have a mechanical, but had understood these were to lock the dial. Not bypass the combination. Is that incorrect? Basically to keep folks from spinning the dial, but may be wrong.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    FWIW Rural King in Columbus is clearancing out their gun safes. All they had left were smaller ones, but I don't know if that's going on at other stores or not. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't have a mechanical, but had understood these were to lock the dial. Not bypass the combination. Is that incorrect? Basically to keep folks from spinning the dial, but may be wrong.
    you are correct, I have a safe from Jeff and the key is to lock the dial in place so it can't spin. it does not unlock or lock the actual safe.

Top Bottom