• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    No reason to be chicken. Again quite normal. Probably why so many new gun owners buy little pistols. They want to carry a gun and don't want it to be seen. I have noticed as people gain experience they start to transition back to larger guns.
    I can't agree with this now. My first pistol was a keltec pf9. The recoil was pretty bad and I didn't like shooting it. I sold it once I bought my Xd9.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can't agree with this now. My first pistol was a keltec pf9. The recoil was pretty bad and I didn't like shooting it. I sold it once I bought my Xd9.

I apologize you do or don't agree? You purchased a small hard to shoot gun and replaced it with a larger more practical gun.

Tobey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2014
    In a house
    You are correct to be extra careful when drawing and holstering, I try to be extra careful when holstering. I make sure that no loose flap of clothing is sticking down in the holster and I make double sure to keep my finger off the trigger.

John (obijohn) gave me a great piece of advice in our private session saying that there are no speed holstering competitions. Take your time putting it away. There is no rush so be safe about it.

I am new to the CC scene as well and can relate to every one of the noob concerns and it is getting easier. I still don't carry hot (that is gonna take some time) but the mag is full and the trigger's safe.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Look at getting a snap cap. Carry with it chambered for a few weeks. When you realize the gun hasn't gone off, you'll be more comfortable carrying it loaded.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I contemplated it... I tend to wear tighter fitting clothing and the size of the full size XDm is just a tad too much I feel. I am thinking about going ahead and getting a Crossbreed Supertuck for her and trying it out while I search for a decently priced XDs 9MM. Ultimately, I think the XDm in winter and XDs in Summer is my goal.

XDs is a fine small gun. The problem I have with full size guns is the grip is to long. If I carry in a holster similar to a supertuck it is positioned at 4oclock on my body. The grip sticks out. If carry a full size gun I use an outside waistband holster that I can more easily reposition on my belt. I do carry a full size gun frequently.

The XDm compact sounds like what you guys need. The compact magazine holds 13 (in 9mm) and you could have the full-size mag for a backup (if you carry one) and it has 19 rounds (again, 9mm). You do lose a bit of barrel length, but you still have all the other things you like about your XDm.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's probably a bad thing to become too comfortable while carrying. As you gain confidence with your carry rig it's important to work on your mindset as well. Discuss with people you trust the situations where you would feel compelled to draw the gun. Establishing in your mind your own personal rules of engagement can be just as important, or more so, then what and how you carry. I have carried for a while now and my carry rigs continue to evolve. I still haven't found the perfect setup and I may never. But I like to think that my personal ROE is pretty firmly established and it works for me. You can't anticipate every situation but it's good to talk about it and get your mind in the right place.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I admit that I felt very self conscious despite the fact that between the long shirt and winter coat there was zero chance anyone could possibly have known I was carrying even if they were inclined to be looking.

Thats what you want "Zero chance" anybody but you knows your business.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah, I know. So what. My background...I've only been a gun owner for a few weeks, despite being 52 years old. I've never been anti gun, I've just never owned one. In the last few weeks I've taken two different classes and fired 800-1000 rounds at the range.

So I decided today that I'd try carrying to see what it felt like. I CC'd on a jaunt to Target, Walgreens, and Kroger. I admit that I felt very self conscious despite the fact that between the long shirt and winter coat there was zero chance anyone could possibly have known I was carrying even if they were inclined to be looking. I did find myself scanning the locations searching for "the most dangerous person in the room." It was probably me.

Also, since I was carrying a Glock with a chambered round I kept waiting for it to discharge on its own and blow a hole in my keg. Oddly, this did not happen.

In any event, the whole experience lasted only an hour or so and I was vaguely uncomfortable and sort of relieved to get home. Not sure if that's to be expected or not. I'll give it more goes for some short trips. Baby steps, I guess.

I've recently started carrying as well (about 2 months now). I recently got an Alien Gear holster and have become pretty comfortable carrying with it. Of course, with this weather I carry OWB about as often, using a Blackhawk Serpa. It's now becoming pretty normal for me and while I still notice that I'm carrying, I'm a lot less nervous about it and it gets better every day.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Congrats on carrying. As so many have stated, you get used to it. Once you are comfortable, going OC won't even be a big deal. (Heck, it won't be long before you are arguing along with ATM & TF on the Open Carry thread.) As for carrying a Block--I mean Glock... :@ya:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I started with an M&P9 Shield because of its concealability. It is very concealable, which is nice. And I love that gun. But what I realized recently when I got my full size M&P9 is that under button down shirts it conceals just fine IWB. Can't see it unless I bend over. I was nervous at first, as everyone else said, but not anymore. I also recently started carrying OWB sometimes in a Safariland 7ts 7378 under a jacket or a vest. With the vest the holster sticks out the bottom a bit. At first I was a little more nervous because it was a step up in visibility from what I'm used to. But in reality, most people just aren't observant enough to notice.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats on carrying. As so many have stated, you get used to it. Once you are comfortable, going OC won't even be a big deal. (Heck, it won't be long before you are arguing along with ATM & TF on the Open Carry thread.) As for carrying a Block--I mean Glock... :@ya:

I'm a long way from OC. I'm not sure that'll ever be for me. I know we've got some Fort Wayne OC'ers who post here, but even though I'm watching for them pretty much every time I'm out I've still never actually seen one in the wild. Maybe it's my area of town. Or maybe I need to spend more time in Wal-Mart. :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Yeah, I know. So what. My background...I've only been a gun owner for a few weeks, despite being 52 years old. I've never been anti gun, I've just never owned one. In the last few weeks I've taken two different classes and fired 800-1000 rounds at the range.

So I decided today that I'd try carrying to see what it felt like. I CC'd on a jaunt to Target, Walgreens, and Kroger. I admit that I felt very self conscious despite the fact that between the long shirt and winter coat there was zero chance anyone could possibly have known I was carrying even if they were inclined to be looking. I did find myself scanning the locations searching for "the most dangerous person in the room." It was probably me.

Also, since I was carrying a Glock with a chambered round I kept waiting for it to discharge on its own and blow a hole in my keg. Oddly, this did not happen.

In any event, the whole experience lasted only an hour or so and I was vaguely uncomfortable and sort of relieved to get home. Not sure if that's to be expected or not. I'll give it more goes for some short trips. Baby steps, I guess.

As long as your carrying a keg, chances are nobody will ever notice anything else. :):

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've seen the Safariland ALS 6378 and 7378 mentioned in this thread. These are superb holsters (I have both). My Glock 19 rides in a 7378 every day and I'm totally comfortable carrying it with one in the pipe that way. Congrats to StunnedMonkey for getting training and a good holster. Your anxiety will diminish and only return when you are without your EDC. This won't take long. You'll find lots of good advice and helpful folks on here so don't hesitate to ask.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Awesome! I think we all wish more people would carry! I started carrying about three years ago, I CC, because I prefer the element of surprise, and I also own my own business so I don't want to make any of my customers uncomfortable. I remember the first day I carried and I was as self conscious of CC as if I had a big booger hanging out of my nose........Now its kinda like leaving your wallet at home, You feel naked without it!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Awesome! I think we all wish more people would carry! I started carrying about three years ago, I CC, because I prefer the element of surprise, and I also own my own business so I don't want to make any of my customers uncomfortable. I remember the first day I carried and I was as self conscious of CC as if I had a big booger hanging out of my nose........Now its kinda like leaving your wallet at home, You feel naked without it!

:( Have we learned nothing?

But I cover up at my place of business normally as well, unless someone shows up that I do not know or I know will not care.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    :popcorn: where's ATM?

Top Bottom