• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Okay here's the situation... I carry a PT1911 SS and usually do so OC in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa Holster with a regular 1.25" leather belt. I get a little sag on the right hand side as the gun does weigh in at nearly 5 lbs fully loaded but it really doesn't bother me. I also purchased a OBG IWB holster which I have been trying to get used to but when I use it my jeans really sag on the right side... I have my belt as tight as I can go (barely breathing and forget about eating anything).

So my question is this: Will a gun belt really help? I am about to send the IWB holster back because it's just not comfortable when it starts to sag. Now you must know I'm not the most in-shape person in the world (a little...okay quite soft around the mid section) but still I wear a 36" waist jeans, I want my pants to not sag when carrying. I cannot tell if the pants are sagging because of the weight of the gun or if the belt just isn't doing a sufficient job...

What do you think... Any Thoughts? Should I forgo the IWB even though it's a great holster? Or do I go with a belt and if so which one? Remember, I don't have cash stashed away to purchase some $100.00 belt, what are my other choices...

Thanks!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Inch and a quarter is too small for me, even in a "gun belt"..

It sounds like we're about the same size. I don't think IWB is the problem, it sounds like belt to me. For a cheap test, you can get a weaved belt for $20 or $25 at Kohl's at about 1.5'', and that would give you a good idea. If it's too narrow it'll roll, no matter how good the belt is..

Where abouts are you??

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have a solid leather belt that was 1.25" and it is ok but not good. I found at J.C. Penny a 1.5" belt that is stitched. I can't crush it by squeezing it. The extra .25" makes a big difference. Just make sure you find a belt that is stiff enough. I carried OC my XD45C and couldn't even tell it was there. I normally carry IWB and I get no sag with this new belt.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I bought a cheap $20 belt at Kohls, it's a thick black leather one that is 1.5" and holds up my Glock 27 with IWB holster quite well.
    I must say that it is lasting longer than my regular belts when I didn't carry.

That is one advantage of wearing the belt, I do seem to keep it one notch tighter than I would if I didn't carry, which keeps me from gorging at meals. Helps keep the weight off.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    There are only so many compromised with a belt.. To go narrow, it has to be thicker..

That being said, the holster does have a little bit to do with it.. I have a couple holsters that I can comfortably carry with decent fitting jeans with no belt whatsoever..

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Skinnier/less squishy people can get away with crappy belts easier than squishy people.

Yes, a proper belt makes a huge difference. It goes beyond simple comfort as well. You can't have a consistent draw/presentation if your holster is not in the same place and orientation every time your hand moves to the gun. Your holster also should be in a consistent location and orientation when you reholster.

A floppy belt, no matter how tight you make it, isn't going to guarantee that. A proper belt will.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Although I'm a little rounder about the middle than you, I do carry an all steel High Power in an IWB most every day. The belt is the difference. You need about a 1 1/2" wide AND double thickness leather to get proper stiffness. I use a UBG belt, 1 1/2" wide and it keeps things in place without cutting off circulation or being uncomfortable. I use a Raven Concealment tuckable but I don't see where that would make any differance. It is still weight on one side that needs to be distributed. Last I checked the UBG belt was about $65. Worth every penny. Mine measures just a hair under 1/4" thick. My 1 3/4" DeSantis is not as stiff as the 1 1/2" UBG.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A belt specifically designed to carry the weight of a firearm will outshine a store-bought "stiff" belt any day. I didn't know how much of a difference until I got a 5.11 Operator belt. Beltman belts are the way to go for a leather option.

There are many options, just be sure it was designed as a "gun belt".

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Belts make a HUGE difference. I've heard very good things about Beltman. I use a Wilderness Frequent Flyer whenever I carry. Only costs $30 + shipping, so it's not much more than a normal belt anyway. I have a 1.25" and wish I had 1.5". Get a 1.5" gunbelt and I think you'll see a big difference.
    :+1:I like the Wilderness Frequent Flyer 1.5" 5-stitch.
    Huge difference over regular belts. They deform and wear out quicker while allowing more sag and flop. Not saving any money in the long run for the inconvenience.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got great service from the custom belt (two layers of harness leather with a steel band in between) I received from Gun Belts by The Belt Man. Unfortunately, perspiration (especially in the summer) weakens leather too much for me to make good use of it, so I switched to synthetics.

I now wear a 1.5 in. instructor's belt with the polymer insert to add stiffness from the Wilderness. It's not quite stiff enough, but it's the best I've been able to do. I tried to get them to work with me on a belt with two thicknesses of the polymer liner, but at first they wouldn't even respond to my inquiries (for several months). When I finally got them to respond, it was a flat-out refusal without much else. They could have said "no" right away and save me some time, but that's not how it happened.

By sharp contrast, the people at Cross-Tac/IST designs were a lot more interested in customer service. I communicated with a fellow from there (Norm Comfort) and not only was he attentive to my inquiry, he was interested in working with me on trying my idea to use two layers of the polymer liner for a custom version of their D-Belt. The only reason (and I mean only) we did not complete the project is because they are only capable of making 1.75 inch belts, and all of my gear is for 1.5 in. belts. If an when they retool to make 1.5 inch belts, I will be among their first customers. I may also just get one of their 1.75 inch belts made, then get some new gear to fit it.

So if you're looking for a good leather belt, I recommend Gun Belts by The Belt Man.

If you want nylon and 1.75 in. is okay, go with a Cross-Tac D-Belt. http://www.istdesigns.com

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    If you don't want to wear a thick leather belt a good alternative is the Instructor belt by The Wilderness. It is nylon and can be had in varying stiffnesses.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I'm glad to see we have a good representation of "squishy" people on the forums; I am as well. I have worn a Milt Sparks (MS) belt that I have been wearing for over 4yrs. I used to go through a lot of belts just from regular wear, but this one has been great. Recently my puggle (my other dog - not my avatar :P) got ahold of it and put some major chew on it. I'm still wearing it :), but I just ordered another from crossbreed for $55. I would order another from MS, but they are about 6 months out.

The bigger the gun the more it will make a difference, but I can guarantee you that once you get a nice belt you will never go back. They really aren't that much more expensive than a heavier dept store belt. Quite a few custom places do them for 50-70, but a nicer beltman/MS will be 80-100+ depending on how fancy you get.

Top Bottom