• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Has anyone ever smoked a whold deer leg? I have one left and want to give it a shot. Any ideas wold be much appreciated.

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    Seems like it might not be the best application because of the low fat content.

Maybe if you wrapped it in bacon to keep it from drying out too much?

I smoked the loins once, but that was at about 350 which is higher than normal smoking temp. It was only for about 20 minutes, and they were still medium rare inside but gained the smokey taste. Excellent stuff.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Havent smoked deer yet key word yet. Ive done pork butts 9.5 hours at 235 or so and whole Chicken whole ducks beef jerky and pork loins. I plan on smoking a deer roast but im going to melt butter and mix my spices in that then inject the concoction. Then paint the outside with maple syrup rub it with spice and smoke it in a pie plate. I find that the juice collected in the pie plate can be used to moisten the meet afterwards.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    We do at least 2 or 3 deer shoulders ever year. Very simple

Rub with your favorite dry rub. Smoke over a low fire for about 4 hours. I have a Big Green Egg and keep the temp around 225. I like a heavier smoke flavor and use some white oak from our woods.

After 4 hours, wrap the entire leg in foil. If you have a disposable turkey roasting pan it is much easier. Add in about 3/4 cup of liquid. I like a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Put it back in the smoker for another 3-4 hours.

Check for doneness. It should be fork tender like a pork butt.

Easy, simple, and almost foolproof. You will be impressed.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    It depends on what you mean by smoke. You can cure it and make "deer ham". But you have to cure it before you smoke it if your doing it that way. I have heard very good results from deer ham.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    We do at least 2 or 3 deer shoulders ever year. Very simple

Rub with your favorite dry rub. Smoke over a low fire for about 4 hours. I have a Big Green Egg and keep the temp around 225. I like a heavier smoke flavor and use some white oak from our woods.

After 4 hours, wrap the entire leg in foil. If you have a disposable turkey roasting pan it is much easier. Add in about 3/4 cup of liquid. I like a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Put it back in the smoker for another 3-4 hours.

Check for doneness. It should be fork tender like a pork butt.

Easy, simple, and almost foolproof. You will be impressed.

This was the info I was looking for brother! I will give it a shot. I did some St. louis style spare ribs yesterday in a similiar fashion 3-2-1- method and they were great. I am going to give this a shot. The drool is starting to run down my chin!:ingo: Thank you

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have done some loins I marinated with Itialian overnight then wrapped in cheap bacon and they were unbeatable smoked with hickory. I also added some apple juice in the water pan. I laughed at my two year old daughter when she was double fisting as fast as she could.

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    my brother and i smoke a lot of deer and other types of meat. we use a traditional smoker not a grill, keep your heat around 180 deg, also refereed to as cold smoke, if you get to hot it will dry out and it might as well be dog food. you can inject it like a turkey with various juices/spices. your wood will also make a huge difference in flavor and so forth, for deer i mix 75% maple and 25% hickory, be careful using hickory it can get away from you and get way to hot.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    We do shoulders.

Season it however you want, even stuff the meat with seasoning. Then cover it in the thickest best bacon you can. Smoke it however you normally do. It is amazing.

model60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I have had deer haunch BBQ'D in O-boro, Ky style with qt. jar of sauce, was GREAT!! Whole turkey also, leftovers make a great turkey salad.

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Had a deer ham smoked for me at Klaus' German Sausage on S. Shelby St in Indy, since I don't have a smoker ....YET. It was pretty dang good. Now I HAVE to get a smoker.
    Reasonably priced, and they will also smoke other game for you as well. (fish, fowl, loins...)

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Smoked deer shoulder is delicious, I like to finish them all the way on the smoker and use a fillet knife to slice the meat paper thin, the thinner the better. Try it with your favorite rub or brine you'll love it!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    This was the info I was looking for brother! I will give it a shot. I did some St. louis style spare ribs yesterday in a similiar fashion 3-2-1- method and they were great. I am going to give this a shot. The drool is starting to run down my chin!:ingo: Thank you

You will love it. Take some pictures and lets know how it comes out for you.

Top Bottom