• ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Hello,

First of all, let me start by saying, I like Glock 19s and 17s. They are combat proven, you can freeze them in a block of ice, you can throw them in mud and they will run forever. I can't confirm any of those things from my personal experiences, but I've had little to no problems with my Glocks. They are fantastic weapons and I am a proud owner of them.

With that said, please refrain from posting on this thread if all you are going to say is "Glocks are much better because they are combat proven, you can freeze them in a block of ice, you can throw them in mud and they will run forever" or if you are going to give the guy that says "Glocks are much better because they are combat proven, you can freeze them in a block of ice, you can throw them in mud and they will run forever" a "+1".:): If you feel that Glocks are better, please explain why (only if you have shot an M&P9).

Okay, with that said I'm just looking for your personal experiences with the Smith and Wesson M&P 9 Full Size, Long or Pro Models.

My experience is this:

About 2 years ago I bought my first MP9 and fell in love. The MP9 has excellent balance and ergonomics. With the large backstrap installed, it feels better than any other gun in my hand (that I've shot so far). At first the trigger was a bit stiff. After 200 rounds or so, it has become very smooth and keeps getting better (2K rounds later). I shoot the MP9 better than any of my pistols, even the ones that cost many times more. Maybe it's just the one that I have but it is friggin accurate. I'm a decent shot and when I go the range with my buddies, I shoot Sigs, FNPs, Glocks, Berettas and Bersas. My MP9 seems to be noticeably more accurate, even when my friends shoot it compared to theirs pistols.

My SW M&P9 is my favorite 9mm pistol because I can shoot much tighter groups with it, it feels better in my hand, it hasn't had a single issue in 2,000 rounds and it's pretty sexy looking. So, as you can tell I'm a big fan. In fact, I just bought a second one from a member today.

I'm curious to know if any of you have owned (or do own) an M&P 9 and what your experiences have been? What else do you own that you could compare it to (do you like it better or worse)? How does it compare to your Glock 19 or 17? If you like another pistol (XD, PX4, G19, Sig, HK, etc...) better, please give me some reasons why (from your own experiences).

I notice that the M&P 9 doesn't get talked about on this forum. When a member asks what 9mm pistol they should buy, the M&P 9 doesn't get mentioned, unless by me. Just curious to know if that's because you have never shot one or because you have one and don't like it as much as a G19 or XD (etc...).

I bought mine for $439 shipped with a $50 rebate and two free mags (4 total), so the value for the money can't be beat (IMHO).

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i've shot the m&p9 and find it a quite serviceable pistol. your statement that you shoot it better than the glock is telling. don't get me wrong, i like the glock, own and train with several, usually carry a glock, my bedside pistol is a glock (because i don't have a railed 1911) BUT it can malfunction, it can break.
    i think coach has put a lot of time into an m&p9, check with him.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I really like my M&P9 FS. Fits my hand much better than my nephew's Glock, so it's more comfortable to shoot. Many rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. I've added a Crimson Trace grip to it, and a rail light. It is in the safe next to the bed loaded with 124gr +P HST's.

My brother also has an M&P9 FS, and liked it so much he bought an M&P45 Compact.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I would really like to shoot the M&P9. I've handled several and was always suprised that the same company that produced the Sigma series also gave us the M&P. They certainly fit most of the criteria I use when selecting a carry gun.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Good point. They needed something great after their Sigma release. I've heard newer Sigmas are more reliable, but the Sigma triggers are very bad. Nonetheless, the Sigma gave SW a bad name for polymer semi-autos. Funny thing is, SW still sells a ton of Sigmas :)

You can shoot my M&Ps anytime. Just let me know when you want to go.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I like that they have the front cocking serrations too.

M&P_2.JPG

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Yeah, I think that the .45s are the ones with the front serrations. The full size 9 and .40 don't have them. That picture is nice. Somebody went a little crazy with the stippling. You can buy the extra back straps for $2, so I've been practicing with with my hot glue gun and stippling them. The .45s are $499 and are in stock right now at CDNN, but there is currently no rebate. Very nice handling .45s.

Much better looking than a Sigma if I must say so myself. I don't think the Sigma and M&P are very much related. Maybe step brothers.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Personal Profile:
    * Own - M&P 40 FS and M&P 9c
    * Owned - Glock 17 & Glock 19

Experience:
    My love affair with the M&P line started when I held one for the first time. The love affair blossomed into a lifelong commitment when my groups drastically improved over my Glocks. I sold the Glocks and have never looked back.

Anyone who has never fired an M&P is really missing something. The ergonomics of the M&P actually make the weapon feel like a part of your hand. I think it feels (dare I say it?) better than my Springfield 1911 Loaded (Wow! Now I'm going to get it from the Glock guys and the 1911 Guys. Ergonomics is something that Glock has never tried improve...even after years of owner complaints about grip angle and "brick-like" feel.

Glock has every reason to be concerned about market share loss to Smith & Wesson. I for one cannot see ever owning a Glock again.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah, I think that the .45s are the ones with the front serrations. The full size 9 and .40 don't have them.

Aww boo!

With the curvy grip, I would stipple just the front and rear section, kinda like the factory already did a little.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    This was the first handgun I ever bought, back in March 08. I got the M&P9 with Trijicon night sights. In my opinion, the night sights were WELL worth the extra $100 they cost. While I have fired few semiauto pistols, out of all that I HAVE fired the M&P takes the cake. I handled just about every major pistol available at the gunshop before deciding on the M&P9. A great gun. I have never had a FTF or FTE.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Yeah, I think that the .45s are the ones with the front serrations. The full size 9 and .40 don't have them. That picture is nice. Somebody went a little crazy with the stippling. You can buy the extra back straps for $2, so I've been practicing with with my hot glue gun and stippling them. The .45s are $499 and are in stock right now at CDNN, but there is currently no rebate. Very nice handling .45s.

Much better looking than a Sigma if I must say so myself. I don't think the Sigma and M&P are very much related. Maybe step brothers.

How are you getting current prices for firearms at CDNN? I can only download the dated catalog in .PDF format.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I own the M&P .40C and love it. I was looking for a smaller pistol and had shot the
    Glock 27 (and 26) in the past. When I held the M&P it just felt great. It's also very accurate, especially for a compact pistol.

Glocks have a well-earned reputation for reliability. But the M&P line, along with others, is delivering strong competition.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    You have to call CDNN for prices. Plus the catalogs sent in the mail have the prices. Email or call them and they will send one to you.

Glad to hear others have the same opinion of the MPs as me.

I am curious to know how many G19s, XD9s, MP9s, SR9s and PX4s are sold each year.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I have the MP-9c .... I know its a compact, But you couldnt tell by shooting it. ITs as accurate as any full-size 9mm I have had. And shoots circles around every other comppact I have shot ( XD and Glock). Its solid as a rock and has one of the best finishes Ive seen on a gun. (I still like my XD-9 service better) but will be carrying my MP-9c all summer. And think the M&P series has glock beat hands down.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From another thread - I figured it would belong here:

You certainly can't go wrong with a G19. It's the perfect blend of reliability, size for CCW and bullet capacity. Of course, if you want something that will feel better in your hand, shoot better (more accurate), cost you less money and will conceal pretty well, go with a Smith & Wesson M&P9.

Feeling better is personal preference and shooting better IMO is the shooter's skill, concealing compared to the 19? I don't think better - since the MP is around the size of the G17.

They do cost less $, but only by $10 now - since they did two price hikes since I had bought 2. Both of mine couldn't reliably feed nor extract - they were junk.

They've had other problems also with the mag release, finish issues, and firing pin.

I wouldn't invest in another again.

:twocents:

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Guys, you have to stop now. The Glock Kool-Aid drinkers are starting to take offense.
    koolaidergh2.jpg

;) No offense taken - I bought two of the M&Ps and both sucked.

The OP indicated they wanted to know others experiences with the M&Ps, if you don't like mine I could care less. :yesway:

I would recommend many guns over S&W semi autos not just Glocks :n00b:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Glockguy07, that is the type of feedback that I was looking for.

Everything that I've posted was all based on my opinion. For me, they do shoot better. If I shot a G19 and an MP9, I would shoot much tighter groups with the MP9. I haven't heard anyone claim a G19/17 is more accurate than a MP9 though. They fit better in my hand, which may be why they shoot better. I think G19s conceal better. I was just saying the MP9 conceals pretty well, which it does. Yes, the MP prices keep going up and the rebates keep getting worse. SW kept prices low and gave great rebates as a product launch strategy, which has now worked. I hope they give some more rebates, so I can buy the MP45 or Pro series.

Anyway, your post is the type of feedback that I was looking for. Granted, I hope to change your mind, so you can change your name to MandPGuy09. :)

Top Bottom