Smith & Wesson is bringing back the M66.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Looks good with the black grips. That's what we put on our old M66. I noticed that the trigger and hammer are now blackened. I'm not sure if I like that or not.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yep, the 66-1 is what rides in my truck with me around deer season. Honestly, it tends to ride around with me in the truck almost year round.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    That looks sweet. How does this compare to the new GP100?

Well, its a known fact that you can wear out an "old" Magnum K frame with an unhealthy diet of hot 125 grain magnum loads. I have seen cracked forcing cones and stretched frames. Some of the elder members of my family really like "hot" 357 mag. loads. Since S&W is bringing it back, I would think they would build it to handle a steady diet of magnums. Time will certainly tell on the "new M66."

Rugers have always been more robust and, I would assume that the "Champion" is no different. In fact, I'm exited to see both revolvers on the self. Even if I favor S&Ws I will always own both, I'm not monogamous when it comes to firearms.:ar15:

Last edited:

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I have a 66-2 with the Marion Country Sheriffs Department star emblazoned into the frame, it was issued to a deputy in 1983 and he kept it when he left the department. Somehow or another it wound up at US Defense Solutions then in my holster. No complaints with that chain of events, I love that piece, its actually next to me right now.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I have a 66-2 with the Marion Country Sheriffs Department star emblazoned into the frame, it was issued to a deputy in 1983 and he kept it when he left the department. Somehow or another it wound up at US Defense Solutions then in my holster. No complaints with that chain of events, I love that piece, its actually next to me right now.

One of the only firearms I ever sold/traded, was a minty 4" 66-2..... Man I regret that.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    My late mother gave me a 66-1 a long time ago. I'll never get rid of that gun, never. Beautiful piece , and glad I have it. Also for me, wood grips look a lot better.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    One of the only firearms I ever sold/traded, was a minty 4" 66-2..... Man I regret that.

Same one (66-1, close enough) got away from me in 1985. That's the only one I regret selling all those years (28??) ago.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I bought my dad a 66 when I was in high school in the 80's. It is a sweet shooter and he made it clear that it would be mine one day. I hope that day never comes cause I really dig my dad.

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    My very first handgun, purchased many moons ago, was a S&W Model 19. Bought it LNIB for $125 (that tells you it was awhile ago). This turned me on to K-frames. I've had multiple configurations of 19s & 66s. Absolute favorite was a 3" model 66 round butt. Almost the perfect one gun solution, but of course we know there is no such thing as a one gun solution. :)

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    My late mother gave me a 66-1 a long time ago. I'll never get rid of that gun, never. Beautiful piece , and glad I have it. Also for me, wood grips look a lot better.

Yeah, wood is much better looking on most wheelguns.

Same one (66-1, close enough) got away from me in 1985. That's the only one I regret selling all those years (28??) ago.

I'll get another one someday.

My very first handgun, purchased many moons ago, was a S&W Model 19. Bought it LNIB for $125 (that tells you it was awhile ago). This turned me on to K-frames. I've had multiple configurations of 19s & 66s. Absolute favorite was a 3" model 66 round butt. Almost the perfect one gun solution, but of course we know there is no such thing as a one gun solution. :)

Ahh, the 3".........:drool:

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy

Your welcome. I was the one that traded that in. I used it as a partial trade for a SR9c. I miss that gun.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My M66 was a 66-5. Our PD sent two basketcase M66s to the factory to try and rescue both. They had cracked frames, sloppy shake, severe battle scars. No save from the factory, but they did return one New M66-5. Mine. N/C. Carried for several years and helped me return home after a few trips in harms way. Sorry to see that one traded for a G22, tried to buy it, PD wouldn't do that.
    Hope the new version copies the older models. Great guns to own and shoot.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I would be more than happy to let you come with me and fire it again sometime. I'll make sure shes well taken care of.

I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on that. I regret trading it in now, but my work wanted me to have a BUG so i had to use it as a trade in. They later changed their mind. So I traded it in for nothing. :xmad: Oh well, gives me a reason to get a 6 in barrel 357 or 44 magnum. Haha, I believe it is in good hands now. How does it shoot? I never got to shoot it.

Top Bottom