• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i was at lowes yesterday and seen glass screen doors,supposedly cant be broke w/ sledge hammer.i am into demo,so prove it.seems like a good ideal for a safe bedroom.you would hear them before they could get to you or family.get the gun ,have the morgue take him or them away and nitey nite.what do you guys think on this ideal?i am thinking of paying the 318.00 for the door

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Like those ones they put on houses on that Discovery Channel show? "It Takes A Thief" I think it's called.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    For that kind of money you can invest in a couple wireless audio/video cameras with motion sensors that will transmit directly to your TV to warn you long before anyone even gets close to your home.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    What they are is a standard tempered glass storm door. The one you saw probably has the safety glass coating that a winshield has. Most storm doors are very similar quality.

A good storm door (Anderson or Pella) is better than the security bar type doors that are steel. The z-bar on security doors is still just alum, easy to bend and break. Some security doors have a bank vault type lock on them that throw a bar in to the door jamb, even those can be broken in a matter of seconds.

Plus all the doors just screw to the brick mold. If the brick mold was not installed properly it will just pull right off. Most houses today just have a few nails in the door frame anyways, a few quick kicks and the whole door would come in.

With a storm door you have an extra barrier between you and the outside, a good alarm and a dog is about the best think you can do... Well and some firepower incase they are determined.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Plus all the doors just screw to the brick mold. If the brick mold was not installed properly it will just pull right off. Most houses today just have a few nails in the door frame anyways, a few quick kicks and the whole door would come in.

+1, you have to start by strengthening around the door. Personal story: some years ago we moved to a newish home (circa '95), and I was going around beefing entry points up. Anyway, I got into one of the access doors to the garage and it was held in by the TRIM and the associated FINISH NAILS! My 10-year-old could have kicked it in. Needless to say, it got a good dose of blocking and 4" screws all the way around.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Or a good dog.

Or a Wife

Has better ears than the dog, meaner than the dog, and even the dog is afraid of the Wife. Hmmmm.. might just be my wife though.. in fact my wife can smell better than the dog too. speaking of smells the Wife smells better than the dog too. ok.. I think I am starting to depress the dog.. not to mention all the other benifits of a Wife. Like no more dishes, laundry, and good home cooking.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    not to mention all the other benifits of a Wife. Like no more dishes, laundry, and good home cooking.

Not to mention the magic of marrige!!! I.E. I can leave dirty clothes on the ground and in a couple of days the magically appear clean and folded back in my dresser! It works great with dirty dishes too. Until I start finding them in my dresser that is!:):

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Or a good dog.

Or even a bad dog is more reliable during a power outage. And to take a quote from my survival bible.... The dogs were worthless, the wagged their tails at intruders and scared off all the game. (end of that chapter) And that winter they ate the dogs!

Very next sentence of the next chapter.... That Feb. they ran out of coffee!!!!!!!!!!!

n302380.jpg

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Not to mention the magic of marrige!!! I.E. I can leave dirty clothes on the ground and in a couple of days the magically appear clean and folded back in my dresser! It works great with dirty dishes too. Until I start finding them in my dresser that is!:):

What your wife does laundry and dishes. Damn I guess I need to train my dog better.:D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As someone else pointed out they shows the "glass" used on that door on the discover channel "To Catch A Theif". The glass is labeled unbreakable and the theif took a sledge hammer to it and could not break it. He took five to seven swings before he gave up. The glass was dented and scratched but not broken. Granted if he would have continued he would have eventually broke it. Everything can break given enough time. But as they pointed out in the show it would require too much time and noise and thus a theif will move to another entry point.

For those of us talkinga bout kicking in the door. You miss the point. Doors/Locs/Windows/etc.. are all breakable but offer some form of resistance. Givenenough time and determination NOTHING is truly safe. However if you have a good enough protection then a theif will just walk away and look for an easier house unless there is something that you have that s/he really wants.

I personally would not want a glass dooreven of this type since it allows outsiders to see into the house. I keep my window blinds closed and tped up the small garae windows as well. 2nd floor windows are open so I cn see downward but not the other way around.

No need in giving anyone and view of what may or may not be inside.

Top Bottom