Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    IMO, don't. you will make it a jam o matic.

Sell it and buy an AK if you want to use AK mags.
    thats quitter talk lol i have an ak. Im wanting to do it because its challenging and interesting and if screw it up im only out a plain jane sks. I like tinkering and itd be nice to be able to use both types of mags. im also aware they made model that take ak mags as well but they only take ak mags, not duckbills.

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    Be aware that the bolt has to locked open to insert the magazine unless you have a "milled" bolt .
    i am, the parts im having trouble fully grasping is the secondary locking "joint" as it needs to be manufactured and welded in place. i can weld but im by no means an expert. figured id post the idea hear and see if anyone else might be interested in helping or pointing me in the right direction. If nothing else theres the tried and true **** up and find out method.

74 or more

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Parke co.
    Slight mill work on the bottom of the bolt carrier ( grinder with a cutting wheel ) so you can place a mag with the bolt closed .
    on utube ,, ezzy peezy
    save your old parts if you feel the need to return to the box magazine. Mine runs great
    Allso on utube,, trigger job

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Years ago I had one of these, took AK mags, I think mine was a factory done, but I don't remember.

My adviget some sheet stock and practice a couple times before trying....

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    Slight mill work on the bottom of the bolt carrier ( grinder with a cutting wheel ) so you can place a mag with the bolt closed .
    on utube ,, ezzy peezy
    save your old parts if you feel the need to return to the box magazine. Mine runs great
    Allso on utube,, trigger job
    yeah that part i got covered its the double anchor points for fitting both mags im looking for more clarity on (link to thread with process detail included in original post) how and what to do with those. i already did the bcg just so i could have the bolt closed and still load a mag, did buy a spare bcg just in case either way.

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    currentky talking with a local gunsmith and looks like i might have someone interested in giving it a real best effort attempt
    There are several in depth tutitorials online for a good AK mag conversion. That is the only route I'd suggest if you are very serious about it. It will require welding, milling, and special cutters to get everything "just right". If you can get a good deal on the work and trust the capability of your gunsmith, by all means proceed. Just because it's not commonly done the process gets alot of flak. That being said, SKS's with the capability to take AK mags exist, and although prices on SKS rifles have enjoyed a solid climb over the last few years the AK mag ones haven't seen the same ratio in value growth. I would compare prices to those against what the work will cost you. Best of luck either way.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There was a Chinese SKS that took AK47 magazines years ago. I think they called it a paratrooper version. It's been to many years to remember correctly.

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    There was a Chinese SKS that took AK47 magazines years ago. I think they called it a paratrooper version. It's been to many years to remember correctly.
    Chinese SKS-M and SKS-D both will accept standard pattern AK mags. The paratroopers are a thing unto themselves but there are paratrooper versions of the M and D as well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a Yugoslavian SKS that got a little Bubba love. Took off the grenade attachment and put on a muzzle break. Luckily he had the original parts in a bag so when I get a round tuit I'll return it to original. Just hope he didn't Bubba the threads up.

20210317_141859.jpg

Anyone have a round tuit?
    1680952334485.png

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have a Yugoslavian SKS that got a little Bubba love. Took off the grenade attachment and put on a muzzle break. Luckily he had the original parts in a bag so when I get a round tuit I'll return it to original. Just hope he didn't Bubba the threads up.

View attachment 268537

Anyone have a round tuit?
    View attachment 268536
    Nice looking ..............I like the sling pouch .

Top Bottom