• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I'm looking to do a good set-up that's involving some older Western style pistols. I'm probably not going to go with anything original (due to monetary constraints), but what I was wondering is... What would be a good set-up for gun slinging?

Now... I wouldn't use these pistols as my carry guns, I've already got that. I'm just looking for something that's well balanced enough that slinging it wouldn't be too hard. In general, what would I be looking for in a revolver to do that? I'm thinking I'll eventually do an entire Western set-up. Coach gun and leathers and everything. So I'm open to a whole bunch of suggestions. I'd also just like something comfortable to hold, preferably in a .40 cal or something to that effect.

I am a bit of a novice to revolvers, except that I've shot a couple and understand how they work... but I am leaning on the experienced people. Just to sum it up. Something of the Old West era in style, well balanced for slinging, comfortable to hold. I may mix and match pistols, too. Have like an 1858 Remington Navy in one hand and a 1847 Dragoon in the other, but I'm not sure how well that goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I have experience with the following, and I have added comments to each:
    - Ruger single six: cheap to shoot 22, I have hunted squirrels with it, great for beginners
    - Ruger Super Blackhawk: strong 44 mag, adj sights, not very "authentic"
    - Uberti SAA copy: reasonable quality cowboy pistol in 45 Colt
    - Chapperal SAA copy: better quality cowboy pistol in 45 Colt
    - Colt 1851 Navy copy: cap and ball, fun but needs cleaning too often!

Although they are built strong, the Rugers don't have the same feel and action due to the transfer bar safety. I always "load one, skip one, load four" so I don't need the transfer bar safety apparatus. I like good copies of Colt Single Action Army, with four clicks as the hammer is cocked. I also like real cowboy calibers like 45 Colt rather than 44 mag or 357 mag.

Hope this helps you some.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    when i shot sass (cowboy action), i shot a pair of ruger vaqueros, a 94 winchester (all in .45 colt) and an imported side by side 12 ga. loved the setup. while it is true that the rugers don't have the feel of the saa (and clones), they are truly robust pistols. after i slicked them up a bit, i couldn't ask for better.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I have experience with the following, and I have added comments to each:
    - Ruger single six: cheap to shoot 22, I have hunted squirrels with it, great for beginners
    - Ruger Super Blackhawk: strong 44 mag, adj sights, not very "authentic"
    - Uberti SAA copy: reasonable quality cowboy pistol in 45 Colt
    - Chapperal SAA copy: better quality cowboy pistol in 45 Colt
    - Colt 1851 Navy copy: cap and ball, fun but needs cleaning too often!

Although they are built strong, the Rugers don't have the same feel and action due to the transfer bar safety. I always "load one, skip one, load four" so I don't need the transfer bar safety apparatus. I like good copies of Colt Single Action Army, with four clicks as the hammer is cocked. I also like real cowboy calibers like 45 Colt rather than 44 mag or 357 mag.

Hope this helps you some.

It definitely does. I'm definitely going for the feel of the weapons, and I definitely prefer cowboy calibers. If it's .45, then I'd rather go with that.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    What seems to be the preference on blued and stainless? Do the stainless hold onto fingerprints and become a pain to clean? Or does it not matter as much. I'm, so far, looking to the blued if that's the case.

As for barrel lengths, would anyone recommend the 7.5 inch ones? Or am I going to expect a pain in the ass draw if I'm shorter than 7'?

So far, I'm looking at the Uberti and the Ruger Vaquero.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    The 7.5" were the original Colt size, used by Pat Garrett when he shot Billy the Kid (while the Kid was asleep). The 4.75 or civilian model is the favorite of fast draw experts and was used by Bat Masterson, Billy the Kid and many others.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    By the way I just picked up a used never fired New Vaquero today, at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. $389.00 plus tax, to give you an idea of what you can pay. PSS, Fort Liberty and Bradis have the best used prices that I have seen. Unless your rich avoid Gander Mountain. They charge more for used than most others do for new Ruger cowboy guns.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    The 7.5" were the original Colt size, used by Pat Garrett when he shot Billy the Kid (while the Kid was asleep). The 4.75 or civilian model is the favorite of fast draw experts and was used by Bat Masterson, Billy the Kid and many others.

I gotta admit, my whole inspiration for doing this is actually Doc Holliday. I recently got into a Val Kilmer kick, and always enjoyed Tombstone. But I watched it recently, and decided that I would rather be a cowboy than anything else. Haha.

From what I can gather, he has nickel-plated pistols with ivory handles, which can be done with the Uberti and the Ruger models. I'd assume he was carrying either the 4.75 or the 5.5 inch Colt models, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that Wyatt Earp carried a friggin' 10" barrel, friggin' ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a 5.5 and a 7.5 Uberti and a 4.75 Colt all in 45 cal. The Ubertis is just fine and at a reasonable price. I like mine. Of course, the Original SSA Colt can't be beat if you can go the price.

I joined the SASS this past week. I don't know how much I'll partipate, but I'm excited about the adventure in going to a few activities. There is a local group in Daleville, IN. I'll join them later.

PM me and let me know what you are planning to do with your western interest. aybe we can go to Daleville. I think there are three groups in Northern Indiana and a two down around Evansville. Check out the SASS for groups nearer to you.

Go have some fun. I am planning to also. My SASS name is Fatman Dan.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    The Buntline Earp had was a gift from Ned Buntline, the writer. It wasn't his normal carry piece.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Yeah, I know. But it was reported to be the one he used at the OK Coral. I'm sure he used a regular 7.5 or something normally.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Single action

I have 4 of the older ( bigger /heavier ) Ruger Vaqueros all in 45 LC
    1 ss ...4.75
    1 blue 4.75
    1 blue 7.5
    1 blue birdshead 3 3/4
    My Son and I used to shoot SASS cowboy action shooting and had a blast doing it
    The Ruger was the best choice for us at the time well built and could handle a wide range of loads from the competition light loads to the heavier hunting rds

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tough to beat the Rugers, I have both Both a Bisley 44 7.5 and a 45lc 7.5 Blackhawk. After shooting the Bisley I liked the feel but not the look so I bought an MK brass frame for the Blackhawk and lengthened it to get the grip and the look I wanted.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Didn't Doc carry birdheads?

Not so far as I know. I won't discount it, as I haven't researched it as much as a fair number of people. But it is absolutely possible.

I suppose one of the issues that occurs is, of course, that no one would really write down what kind of pistols he carried, as it wasn't so important back then. But... if someone offers concrete proof to the contrary of Colt .45, I won't dispute it. It will just make things more interesting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The only ".40 cal" I know of would be the 38-40 (38 WCF)which was a necked down 44-40 (44 WCF).

The cartridge is about the same performance category as the 38 SPL, a 180gr bullet at ~850 fps, so it's a great plinker/SASS gun. Matching lever action guns are out there too. It's legal for deer hunting, but I'd never use it, though if you're doing it for nostalgia reasons it ranks right up there.

Given the choice though I would take a .357 Mag, and a matching lever action carbine... at least I would feel comfortable deer hunting with it. 38SPL can still be used in them for plinking and SASS, and ammo and brass is widely available, but if I were a hunter (I am) I'd go straight for the 45 Colt or 44 Mag/44 SPL. I would also feel comfortable, at reasonable ranges, with a 44-40.

I personally favor the "Old Model" 3-screw Rugers, but my buddy has a Vaquero that's really slick and looks better.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    The only ".40 cal" I know of would be the 38-40 (38 WCF)which was a necked down 44-40 (44 WCF).

The cartridge is about the same performance category as the 38 SPL, a 180gr bullet at ~850 fps, so it's a great plinker/SASS gun. Matching lever action guns are out there too. It's legal for deer hunting, but I'd never use it, though if you're doing it for nostalgia reasons it ranks right up there.

Given the choice though I would take a .357 Mag, and a matching lever action carbine... at least I would feel comfortable deer hunting with it. 38SPL can still be used in them for plinking and SASS, and ammo and brass is widely available, but if I were a hunter (I am) I'd go straight for the 45 Colt or 44 Mag/44 SPL. I would also feel comfortable, at reasonable ranges, with a 44-40.

I personally favor the "Old Model" 3-screw Rugers, but my buddy has a Vaquero that's really slick and looks better.

To be honest, I have no idea where .40 cal came from. It was probably really late--or I was just really tired. Ah well. I'm going for the nostalgia, so the .45 is my preference.

Top Bottom