• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mitchmoore1989

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Mooresville
    I'm fairly new to reloading, and had a buddy move cross country and didn't want to take his reloading room so I ended up buying him out, included was one of there pt-2000 hand priming tools. Now I've used it to prime a couple hundred 223, just trying to figure out how the justify $100 new?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The sensitivity of the sinclair tool allows you to more easily uniformly install primers which some believe can make a fraction of MOA difference in precision groups....an important thing in benchrest competition. Top competitors (and those of us want-a-be's) often pay top dollar for the best tools.

And the fine machining and looks are easy on the eyes.;)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a "better" way to seat primers. :laugh:

First, go ahead and deprime/resize. Then fill with powder and seat the bullet (yes, with no primer installed).

Next, hold the assembly with the bullet facing down sightly above your lap (belly button height seems to work best). Place the new primer on top of the primer pocket (anvil down, of course), and then hit it really hard with a hammer to insert the primer into the bottom of the case!

The results will "BLOW YOU AWAY"!!! :lmfao::p

(IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE EDITORS: This is a joke, and should only be attempted by professional loaders and eunuchs. Do not try this at home kids...)

mitchmoore1989

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Mooresville
    I have a "better" way to seat primers. :laugh:

First, go ahead and deprime/resize. Then fill with powder and seat the bullet (yes, with no primer installed).

Next, hold the assembly with the bullet facing down sightly above your lap (belly button height seems to work best). Place the new primer on top of the primer pocket (anvil down, of course), and then hit it really hard with a hammer to insert the primer into the bottom of the case!

The results will "BLOW YOU AWAY"!!! :lmfao::p

(IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE EDITORS: This is a joke, and should only be attempted by professional loaders and eunuchs. Do not try this at home kids...)

Seems I've been doing it all wrong

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Dad has one, and I do all my reloading at his place. It does provide exceptional feel, and you can adjust it as well. It's a nice piece.

StringerBell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Rushville
    I've used one for years. It was a Christmas present from my (now ex) wife many years ago. I've primed a lot of cases in my recliner in front of the TV. If it broke tomorrow, I'd buy another one immediately.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have this and love it - RCBS APS BENCH MOUNTED PRIMING TOOL - Graf & Sons
    I have the primer strip loader as well that I use to load up loose primers, then just prime as fast as cases can be swapped out.
    It also has a stop screw to ensure consistent seating depth, so having to depend on feel to know when to stop the ram isn't necessary.
    It's hard to understand why anyone would want a hand priming tool, especially anyone with arthritis, when there are bench priming tools that are so much easier on the reloader.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am about ready to throw my hand primer in the garbage. ONE of the last things I haven't upgraded yet.

Maybe Santa will bring me one if I am good.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Not trying to hijack, but Primal Rights makes some pretty cool priming tools, but they are not cheap. They now have a press-mounted kit called the CPS-Lite for about $200. It allows you to precisely set the priming depth, and is a pretty cool looking system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQnjWQV1fA

Primal Rights, Inc :: Home

EDIT: And here is a video of their full CPS model (stand-alone) - $600!!! Holy smokes!!! That is a lot of money for a primer seating tool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms4xNuiZfDo

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I watched the video for the press-mounted system, and not to gainsay, but that system doesn't do anything that the RCBS APS priming tool doesn't already do.
    The RCBS has a stop screw to make seating depth consistent, but unlike the CPS, the RCBS feeds the primers automatically, and it costs half as much as the press-mounted CPS, but the RCBS is bench-mounted, yet another advantage.

mitchmoore1989

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Mooresville
    Well now that I've had some more time with the sinclair, it is a very nice, smooth tool, it is slow (compared to using the 550) but with rifle I don't feel the need to churn out 200-400 rounds per hour

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My demonstration of he APS bench-mounted priming system...sorry for the crappy resolution, but I haven't invested in a high def video camera yet:
    [video=youtube;MtYdBFTElt0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtYdBFTElt0[/video]

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I watched the video for the press-mounted system, and not to gainsay, but that system doesn't do anything that the RCBS APS priming tool doesn't already do.
    The RCBS has a stop screw to make seating depth consistent, but unlike the CPS, the RCBS feeds the primers automatically, and it costs half as much as the press-mounted CPS, but the RCBS is bench-mounted, yet another advantage.

How much of a pain is it to load the strips?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    How much of a pain is it to load the strips?

It's not hard at all, once I got the hang of it.
    [video=youtube;16tT0kZkhu4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16tT0kZkhu4[/video]

My apologies for the not so great resolution and for not getting the primers going into the strip on camera very well.
    Also, I made this video when I had only loaded one or two strips, not like now when I've loaded dozens and can do it much faster.
    You can also buy CCI primers already loaded in the APS strips, then keep the strips to load into the loading tool later for loose primers, or (what I did) you can get the strips alone and the loader and load only looe primers.
    It's a great system.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for the videos. They have convinced me to stay with my RCBS hand priming tool. By the time you would have loaded 100 primers into strips and set up the bench primer, I'd probably have 50 cases primed and can do it in front of the TV if desired.

To each his own.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the videos. They have convinced me to stay with my RCBS hand priming tool. By the time you would have loaded 100 primers into strips and set up the bench primer, I'd probably have 50 cases primed and can do it in front of the TV if desired.

To each his own.

You must have young hands and not a hint of arthritis. ;)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It's not hard at all, once I got the hang of it.

Great stuff! I tried to send you some rep, but it said I had to spread it around some more before giving it to you again.

I also saw another video online where RCBS makes this same system as an add-on to the press, similar to the Primal Rights CPS-Lite system. This is opposed to the bench-mounted version like you have. It appears however that RCBS has discontinued the press-mounted version, which is too bad since it would save on the bench space issue that you are facing.

I have the Lee Classic Turret Press, and I am concerned about consistent primer seating since I hear it is "all about the feel" rather than having an adjustable, absolute stop. Any thoughts on the Lee setup anyone?

Top Bottom