• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Bubba alert! :):

Just wrapped up my Zombie Rifle build. Nothing fancy, nickle and dime build. Just built it for some fun and possible SHTF scenarios. :D

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks for the compliment. You assume correct. She's a Yugo, muzzle brake is by Choate, and I had no trouble getting the grenade launcher off. It was a painless build, no issues what so ever. It was a really fun build.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    how well do the mags work with that kit? im haveing trouble with a trade i got that hase the ati monte strock and it keeps falling apart and im thinking the mags just are sucky ones. do the tapcos work better? and is there a good way to keep the trigger frome falling out on the 3rd shot? im new to the sks and its a norinco.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    i have had zero issues with the tapco mag, nor my trigger falling out. I don't think I've ever even heard of that problem... I have an no-named steel mag, it's junk. absolute junk...

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Was it a M59 or M59/66? I believe the M59/66 was able to be imported with all of the "evil" features (flash hider, grenade launcher, bayonet) due to C&R status. If *any* of those features are removed, then C&R status is voided and the builder/modifier must consider 922r regulations - i.e., the number of import parts.

I don't believe any home builder/modifier has yet been charged for 922r violations but it might be something to keep in mind.

In short, unless you replaced enough foreign parts with domestic, your rifle, now devoid of C&R status, would be in violation of 922r.

Or not.

Who knows? If you've got enough domestic, you're in the clear. Darned confusing though.

M59/66 922r

Nice job though. I'm rarely a fan of the home SKS mods but that one look good and functional.

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I have done a lot of reading at Survivors SKS boards about the 922R compliance stuff...

so...

my domestic parts include:
    Hammer, Sear, and gas valve are all domestic. (murray's)
    Magazine, follower, and floor plate are domestic (Tapco)
    Has domestic pistol grip, hand guard, stock, gas piston, and operating rod. (Tapco compliance kit)
    muzzle break is welded on, and is domestic? (choate)
    ~PLUS~
    bayonet and bayonet lug are both permanently removed...

Thanks for he compliment! I dig it, i think it's extremely functional and looks pretty cool to boot. i like it. totally worth the time and money.

from everything i've read into, i should be ok under 922r compliance. but like you said, it's confusing...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    looks like a pretty good build for an SKS. I'll agree with the tapco mags being good too. I had 6 of them for my old SKS and they worked out great. Some days I wish I hadn't sold it, but I'll upgrade to better sometime.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    You know, they have WASRs for about $350 now. Cheaper and will better serve the purpose.

Also the last name of the designer is SIMONOV.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    not bad but I couldn't ever bring myself to change a thing about my SKS. the 1954 Tula #'s matching(not forced match) will remain the way she sits.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    looks great! gives me a little inspiration to continue with one of mine this winter. How do you like the trigger?

I've actually rebuilt my trigger, added Wolff springs, did some polishing on some components. I followed a guide to an easy SKS trigger job here: Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - Lightening the SKS Trigger (Trigger Job)

Glad I could inspire.

You know, they have WASRs for about $350 now. Cheaper and will better serve the purpose.

Also the last name of the designer is SIMONOV.

Thanks for the heads up on the price on WASRs. I don't have much more than $250 in my SKS, it's been a "budget build" on a barreled action. As far as it's purpose, it's just for fun. It's done everything I've asked it to do. It's been a fun, cheap build.

As far as mispelling Simonov's name... :facepalm: thanks for educating me... blame it on a brief moment of stupidity.

:ingo:

Top Bottom