• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm trying to set up one of my full size Glocks to be a competition gun. I'm sure I want to replace the stock sights, but I have no idea what to replace them with.

I like the look of the XS sights, but even the owner of the company talks about how the sights get trashed in the forums.

Any ideas about what I should be looking at?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    The main difference between most competition sights and carry sights is the width of the front blade - comp sights are typically much narrower.
    Most competition guns that I've seen use fiber-optic front sights. Tru-glo and Dawson are popular. The standard post-and-notch sights from Warren/Sevigny are also popular.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'll be getting a set of heinie straight eight tritiums installed on my 19 later this week. I like the straight eights, so I'll let you know how that goes in a few days hopefully!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I guess anything *could* break.. I don't think it'd be a regular occurrence, though. And if it's on a competition-style handgun, you're probably not going to have the bumps and things that a carry handgun would have..

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I guess I'm missing something. Is the large dot on the sight the issue with using XS Sights being used in competition (i.e. accuracy)? I guess it would depend on what type of competition. From the shooting I did with IPSC style, it seems like that would be an advantage.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I haven't shot a lot of USPSA, but during a match I had to make some 25-yard shots on standard targets. I would not have done well with big dots in that situation. Some courses of fire have steel poppers that can be difficult to hit without "fine" sights.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I run the Heinie fixed rear/Dawson fiber front combo on my 34 for USPSA Production. If that's the kind of shooting you plan on doing, I'd recommend these or a similar setup from Warren Tactical.

Here's how they look:
    DSC01205.jpg

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    The XS sites gets trashed on some forums and worshiped on others. There have been many posts about them on this board. I currently run them on my G19 which I carry.

My observations are that I'm not able to be as pinpoint accurate at the range vs. standing in place with traditional 3 dot site. If I'm moving and shooting they are much faster for me to pick up and I can get really good hits on human sized targets.

:twocents:

I'm trying to set up one of my full size Glocks to be a competition gun. I'm sure I want to replace the stock sights, but I have no idea what to replace them with.

I like the look of the XS sights, but even the owner of the company talks about how the sights get trashed in the forums.

Any ideas about what I should be looking at?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Here are a couple of bad pics of my setup. Dawson fiber-optic front and adjustable rear on a Glock 34:

3269857945_41c44c161e_b.jpg

3269857949_45dddf5a57_b.jpg

The sight picture is very similar to the Warren/Dawson combo that notasoccermom uses, but the sights sit higher off the slide. This can be a problem when you go to buy a kydex holster - blade-tech had to custom make one for me.

Sorry about the crappy pix.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    The sight picture is very similar to the Warren/Dawson combo that notasoccermom uses, but the sights sit higher off the slide. This can be a problem when you go to buy a kydex holster - blade-tech had to custom make one for me.

Just to clarify, that rear sight on mine is a Heinie fixed. The front is from Dawson and I believe that it is the shorter model than m_deaner is running. Mine clears my stock bladetech injection molded holster, but just barely. I haven't had any clearance issues.

For comparison, this picture gives you a good perspective of the height on mine:
    DSC01203.jpg

If you have any questions about this setup, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Dawson Adj. rear/Dawson FO front
    Heinie fixed rear/Dawson FO front
    Heinie fixed rear/Heine black front - this would be my choice
    Warren/Sevigny rear/ Dawson FO front

Any one of those combos would be bloody fantastic and are championship proven. I used FOs in competition for about 3 years and ultimately came back a plain black front and LOVE it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Dawson Adj. rear/Dawson FO front
    Heinie fixed rear/Dawson FO front
    Heinie fixed rear/Heine black front - this would be my choice
    Warren/Sevigny rear/ Dawson FO front

Any one of those combos would be bloody fantastic and are championship proven. I used FOs in competition for about 3 years and ultimately came back a plain black front and LOVE it.

good info, I think I'm wanting a G34

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I still need to borrow a big dot style, but I think that is what I am leaning towards. When I shoot IPSC, I do it for practice. Living through an encounter is my first priority.

Top Bottom