• ...and so much more!
  • Chiefpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Marion
    Fellow Riflemen,
    Was wanting your input on which kind of sight you like on your AR's: Non-magnification holographic/red dot type, or magnification. The purpose for my AR is home defense and what I would perceive 100 yards and less range. I May need more range in some social scenarios, (heaven forbid) but looking for the best all around sight. I've seen both types used in this < 100 yrd range. My rifle has the carry handle that can be removed, so that's not an issue. Really would like to keep the handle though.
    Thanks in advance.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    iron sights work fine.. train with them and you can get pretty quick... other than that i say eotech, but there are plenty others that will say aimpoint.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The purpose for my AR is home defense and what I would perceive 100 yards and less range.

1. You might want to reconsider your weapon of choice for HD if you have anyone living with you, or around you.
    2. Your home has 100 yard hallways?
    3. I have an EOTech, I love it. I will replace it with an Acog, but its not my HD primary.

Chiefpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Marion
    It sure could be I'm rushing this some. I'll work on the iron sights for a while before adding a sight. Loved the ACOG too, but the expense is too much for right now, and not sure which magnification would be the best. Also, I would first pick up my Glock for an in-home threat. Mossberg 590 is very close by too. Thank you all again.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I personally like a single dot for the use you describe. There are many brands to chose from (for a single dot) aimpoint being thought of as the standard. I own an aimpoint t-1 and a vortex strike fire and both have worked well. If you don't want to shell out a bunch of money you may want to look at the vortex. My buddy has a eotech and he loves it. I like it but I have read more broke eotech threads than aimpoint ones (not a lot of either though) and that is part of the reason I went with aimpoint.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I've got Yankee Hill BUIS and a Vortex red dot on my carbine. Learn the iron sights first - you never know when that battery is going to die.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I'm in the camp that worries about over penetration in home defense situations.
    If that's all it's going to be used for, maybe just adding a good StreamLight or SureFire light will suffice.:dunno:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Everyone should learn to properly use the irons, I have also been very satisfied with my EoTechs..... my favorites are the 2 ACOGs that I have.

They are worth every penny !!! And dont be hesitant to purchase a used ACOG, like anything else, do the research, look it over carefully and ask questions.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I added an M68-CCO (Aimpoint Comp M2) two years ago. It is much faster and more intuitive to me than irons, especially in a stressful situation. The Aimpoint Micro is pretty cool too but you need a large spacer to get a proper height over the bore.
    IMG_8512.jpg

Top Bottom