• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAnderson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Does anyone know anything about a Sig Sauer P6? Good handgun choice? I know someone who is wanting to sell his but I am unfamiliar with this particular Sig. What would be a good purchase price?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Few months ago when a big shipment of them came in from Germany, you could get them all day for like $280. Now, a bit more, but still not expensive, and I hear good things.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The P6 is the name for the P225 in German military service. They're good guns if you like traditional DA pistols with decockers. There's a lot of them on the surplus market right now; condition varies widely. I just put out a *gorgeous* one at the shop this morning; still had most of its factory finish, came with 2 mags, a leather holster (a pancake style w/ thumb break rather than the worthless military flap type) and a spare mag carrier. Sticker price was less than $329.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The P6 is the name for the P225 in German military service. They're good guns if you like traditional DA pistols with decockers. There's a lot of them on the surplus market right now; condition varies widely. I just put out a *gorgeous* one at the shop this morning; still had most of its factory finish, came with 2 mags, a leather holster (a pancake style w/ thumb break rather than the worthless military flap type) and a spare mag carrier. Sticker price was less than $329.

How large is the grip? I've got smaller hands and I figured the P6 might have a smaller grip since it's single stack.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I just put out a *gorgeous* one at the shop this morning; still had most of its factory finish, came with 2 mags, a leather holster (a pancake style w/ thumb break rather than the worthless military flap type) and a spare mag carrier. Sticker price was less than $329.

[THINKS: Hmmmm... Do I really need another?? That does sound good! These things are like crack!]

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I have one ...Great gun, shoots very nice and is accurate ..
    Only problem i have seen , like some other military guns ,
    it don't feed JHP ammo very well ball ammo will feed all day long ,
    there are smith's out there that will recut the feed ramp to get it feeding JHP ammo better, www.customizedcreationz.com ,and i have seen some refinished that look awsome ...

All around Very nice gun for the money ...:twocents:

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I paid 250 for mine with 1 mag and all the other crap they come with. Never had a problem with it. All the thing needs is the sights adjusted, but thats understandable since it was born in 1983.

here is what it looks like now.

DSC01262.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Someone posted a date code that Sig changed the feed ramp bevel angle. I think it was 1989. Agree with Dicedealer - customizedcreationz is all over the boards for doing P6 ramp mods for, I think, $45. I saw another group buy for new barsto (sp?) barrels, I think for $100 a piece or so.

Even if the date code in question appears to be <1989, go shoot it before you worry too much. Lots of purchasers reported having no problems with the earlier ramp profile. 'Course, some stuff like XTP or Corbon Powrball might not present a problem anyway.

I like my P6 ergos but just purchased it a couple of weeks ago and have not had time or opportunity (one eye = eyepatch = BAD depth perception) to make a range session.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    [THINKS: Hmmmm... Do I really need another?? That does sound good! These things are like crack!]

LOL, yeah they are. My mother kids me about it saying I need to enter a rehab clinic for my addiction. Crazy old lady, what does she know? :fogey:

As for my P6, it feeds Gold Dots all day, I even drop tested it last night and didn't get my foot shot off (though I did crack the back of one of the grip panels). Sigs are excellent service pistols and while this single stack is still bigger than it needs to be, it is MUCH smaller than a 220/226. I find it an excellent way to get into a Sig without a mortgage.

One thing I'd recommend is to swap out the main spring (hammer spring) to get a MUCH lighter DA trigger pull. I think these come with a 50lb hammer spring as the European primers are apparently made of adamantium (I made some of that up). I just put in a 19# spring and it is much more civilized.

You will have a tough time finding Mags and Holsters too. The surplus guns came with two and a lot of the sellers would snarf the second mag to sell it separately, bastards!

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I paid 250 for mine with 1 mag and all the other crap they come with. Never had a problem with it. All the thing needs is the sights adjusted, but thats understandable since it was born in 1983.

here is what it looks like now.

DSC01262.jpg

Where'd you pick up the wood grips? Were they expensive?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Regarding the feed ramp bevel:

Dear Mr. Parrish,
    We checked our drawings and found out that we change the angle of the barrel ramp on the 14th of June 1989 from 52 degrees to 54 degrees.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    With best regards,

Ralf Vanicek
    Produktmanager SIG SAUER

SIG P6/225

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got one too:
    DSC01344.jpg

Got it about a year ago at the Rendezvous Guns table (real nice folks too BTW) at the 1500 for $299. Great condition for a surplus handgun. You get that Sig quality without the Sig price (I'm not saying Sigs aren't worth it.) Mine came with 2 mags and a fabric pancake holster with thumb break. The prices on them have been creeping up.

As far as the grip, like Shooter521 said, it's about as wide as a 1911 but it's angled just a little straighter than the 1911. If you've ever handled a P38 or P1, the P6 grip is similar, but just a tiny tad thicker. I found a set of Pachymar wraparounds for my P6 at the Tipton show, but I took them off, prefering the original grips.

Mine's currently loaded with Golden Sabers. It's not a "high cap" pistol, but that doesn't bother me any. I'd have probably paid $330 for it. Glad I didn't though. :D

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    They are great little guns, especially for CCW. One thing I was told is to replace the hammer spring with a Wolff 19# spring and it will help with the trigger pull. I was told the German police had a 28# hammer spring installed (normal is 24#). I am also going to try one of the Customized Creations short triggers. The one I purchased was in really good shape.

SIGP62.jpg

SIGP65.jpg

SIGP63.jpg

SIGP64.jpg

paburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Fort Branch,IN
    Yeah, I was told there were no aftermarket grips for the P6. Where DID you get them? We've sold probably 12-15 at the shop and have heard nothing but good things. On fella eventually bought 3, one for himself, his wife and daughter over the course of about 3 months. They are now a little harder to get, but when found the price is definately right for the quality of the gun.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I bought my grips from Marschalgrips.com

It took about a month. But they are hand made, CNC cut, and come from hungary. They cost me around $80 shipped. which isnt too bad for the quality of the grips. I really dont like the hogue rubber grips, I prefer the aluminum ones they make. But at $130 each I cant afford them on all my guns.

357Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    P6 Love at first sight

I got mine for $330 and love it. I carry with Pow'RBall 100gr +P ammo and never have any feed problems. I have a jackass shoulder holster that it fits perfect in and with the spare mag on the right side it hangs pretty even.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    P6

I've owned one since they were first imported. Mine
    is dated 1987. Loads and shoots fine with Federal
    135gr Hydra-shok. I've added night sites and a
    new Wolff increased power recoil spring. The only
    problem I have had, is that I only have four factory