• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    After reading a few different books lately, (One Second After, Patriots - Surviving the Coming Collapse) I've really been intrigued with the SHTF forums lately and have really been thinking about and planning to put together a few different bags for the different situations.

In my readings, I've come to realize I need a few different bags:

SHTF Bag - I guess I think of this one more as a "battle bug out bag", everything I need to get me and my family out of the city to the family farm.

Bug Out Bag (BoB): I think of this as my vehicle version, with a handgun/full size knife, survival 3 day-gear worth that I would have to rely on if there was no house to get home too.

Get Home Bag: This one is in the office. Someone limited due to employer restrictions. Probably based on a change of close, small survival kit, Leatherman, etc. Just enough to get me home if something happened on a day I road the bus or couldn't get to my vehicle (fire, riots, earthquake, etc).

Personal Survival/Safety Kit (PSK) - Your mini survival/first aid kit.

So let's play show and tell. I'm sure there are others who would benefit and learn from some of you who've already researched and put together different bags.

Post a video, or some pictures, or just describe the contents of your various "bags".

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We've also got a couple different levels of bags.

Always have emergency supplies in the car. Some food, blankets, first aid. Need to get some water in there again.

As for bugout bags, the supplies are basically the same, with different ways to pack them.

Food, water, first aid gear, guns, ammo, reloading supplies (which fit into one ammo can per caliber) batteries, lights, kerosene, sterno, firestarting gear, tents, sleeping bags, space blankets, tarps, rope, knives, machetes, hatchets, can openers (P38s are a beautiful thing), back packs, game cart, fishing gear, inflatable boat, important papers. A few other goodies.

The time we have, the situation, and where we need to go will determine what we pack and what we take. Each level "down" comes with a price to be paid in comfort and perhaps survivability.

The preferred option is obviously to stay in our house. This provides protection, neighbors to help and get help from, and the ability to utilize all of our supplies.

If that is impossible, the next level is what goes in the car. We can fit most of our stuff in it, but not everything. Packs are packed, game cart goes in the car dissassembled (the wrenches to assemble it are already strapped to the cart, and are used for nothing else,) dogs get the back seat, cats are left behind.

If for some reason the car cannot be used or must be abandoned enroute, the next step is what we can take in the game cart and backpacks. Much of what can be taken in the car can be taken in this setup. We lose a few things like our big camp stove, propane lantern, a few extra blankets, etc. Still, we've got a lot of gear to get us to where we are going, and to set up once we get there.

If terrain or other considerations force us to abandon the game cart, our situation is much is more difficult long term. We can carry enough to get to where we are going, with some luck, but setting up and long term survival is much harder. We lose much of our ammo, get to keep the Lee Loaders, but lose most of our compenents. We can't carry nearly as much food, which means we must scramble for food on the way. We lose the little propane stove, keep the sterno and sterno stove. Our fishing gear becomes more primitive, some of the guns get left behind. We lose most of the alcohol we hope to use for trading or emergency pain relief. We've got some food, some basic first aid gear, space blankets, a tent, sleeping backs, a couple changes of clothes.

Each level is preplanned. We've practiced at each level. A mid-winter two week power outage in PA provided excellent practical application of the "house" level. Neighbors were jealous. We had heat, hot meals, hot water for bathing. Since the water wasn't out, and we were able to keep the house above freezing so the pipes didn't bust, we did have the luxury of not having to break into our emergency water supplies. Other levels have been practiced on camping trips. This is both fun, and very educational. Once I came home from work and announced we had 10 minutes to be out the door. At the time, part of the view out the back windows was a nuclear power plant, so our packs were prepacked. We were out the door in 5 minutes, and had a most enjoyable weekend camping. This is a superb way to learn what you don't really have to have

Until we get to the backpack level, we are very well equipped and very well set up for long term survival. The backpack level is a desparation level. We have the basics, but that's it, and that makes for a much harder life, and long term survival is much more difficult. Truly a "end of the world" never give up, never surrender type situation.

Below are pics of some of our stuff in my man cave. It's a tad messy, as we are reorganizing a bit, but everything has it's place, and each "category" of stuff is located to enable quick packing if need be. I know some folks keep everything secret (and I'm hardly showing it all!) but hopefully there is some educational value for some folks here. There is better gear available, but what we have is functional, adequate for the purpose, and most importantly it's what we've been able to afford one piece at a time over the years :)

SHTF001.jpg

SHTF002.jpg

SHTF003.jpg

SHTF004.jpg

Reloading stuff:
    BasicReloading003.jpg

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    In my car, I just keep a tackle box filled with survival and emergency stuff (as posted above "to make it back home"). Most of my long term stash is in the basement. I could possibly take in a few neighbors, but they gotta bring something to the party.;)

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I'm pretty sure I posted this here once before, but maybe not. This is my current winter load out that stays in my truck. I have another similar setup at home with some other important stuff as well.

Items kept in my truck not photographed:

-Columbia system jacket
    -4 Gallons water
    -Canned food (beans, vienna sausages,spam, etc.)
    -Gortex boots
    -Wool blankets
    -Sleeping mat
    -75 Rounds 45 ACP
    -Backup Kel-tec 9mm w/2 mags (I carry a Glock 36)

My FAK is based off my BOB's kit, but scaled down appropriatly.

Zombie Squad • View topic - Indy's FAK

This is my complete bag:
    pictures294Small.jpg

pictures295Small.jpg

pictures297Small.jpg

pictures296Small.jpg

External contents:
    -MOLLE II Patrol pack
    -2 quart insulated canteen with purification tabs on the side
    -SAW ammo pouch with most of my food (list to follow)
    -Insulated Nalgene carrier with wide mouth Nalgene, and fitted stainless cup
    -5'x8' tarp
    -2 liter hydration system
    -MSS intermediate bag w/ Gortex Bivy
    -Coast V2 powerchip flashlight
    -2 Baby biners
    -Columbia compass with thermometer
    -Pealess whistle with lanyard

Food break down:
    -2 Jack Links beef n cheese
    -2 Jack links strips
    -2 Cliff bars
    -3 Tuna pouches
    -2 Instant soup
    -2 Hot choclate mix
    -1 Bag o' trail mix
    -1 LMF Spork
    -3 Jiff "To go" cups of peanut butter
    -10 Tortillas (shelf stable till 10/10 in main pouch)
    -6 Mayo packets (rotated by season)
    -6 Grape jelly packets (rotated by season)
    Front pouch contents:

pictures298Small.jpg

-Leather work gloves
    -FAK (see above for contents)
    -Leather belt
    -2 pair smart wool socks
    -1 pair "40 Below" socks with polypro liners
    -2 pair boxers
    -4 spare flashlight batteries
    -Notepad with 2 pens
    -Maps
    -GI extreme wet weather rain suit
    -Approx. 60' duct tape
    -2 Ameriglo chem lights

Main pack items:
    pictures300Small.jpg

Personal hygene:
    -2 packs of 8 "Combat Bath"
    -Ziploc with:
    Deodorant
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrush
    Hankercheif
    Toilet paper
    Small bar of soap

pictures299Small.jpg

Clothing:
    -1 Polypro long underwear set
    -2 Moisture wicking t-shirts
    -1 Winter hat
    -1 Pair of gloves
    -1 Fleece jacket
    -1 Pair tan BDU pants
    Tools, and other stuff:

pictures301Small.jpg

-100' Paracord
    -4 Hand warmers
    -6 Thick aluminum tent stakes
    -Grundig AM/FM radio with weather channels, and extra batteries in case
    -Winchester multi-tool
    -Cheap head lamp
    -Coke can stove (fuel in container taped shut, in ziploc, inside empty nalgene on outside of pack)
    -Ontario knife company knife with sharpening stone
    -Fire making bag including:
    4 ziptied lighters
    Magnesium fire starter
    Pill bottle (no label) with 8 or so vasolined cotton balls
    Small bag of cotton dryer lint
    Tube of waterproof matches with strikers

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Although I've seen countless "what's in your bag(s)" threads in numerous sites, I always love them because I always find something I hadn't thought to pack. Of course, by implementing all of the suggestions I like, I would have to have a bag just slightly smaller than a two-car garage ;)

Keep 'em comin'

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg

This is the bag as it looks. I call it my Bug Out Bag. I forget the name of it or who made it, but I think it cost around $40. Good quality, very tough. Lets take a look inside.

DSC00005.jpg

Clothing:
    1 pair pants
    3 shirts
    2 pairs socks
    2 pairs boxers (not pictured, your welcome)
    1 heavy jacket

DSC00008.jpg

Food:
    2 MREs (thanks longbow)
    4 mountain house entrees (1 ice cream:D)
    2 cans tuna
    1 ramen noodle
    1 bottle water
    1 filled USGI canteen

DSC00016.jpg

General/Misc:
    2 lighters
    1 bottle water purification tablets
    1 compass
    1 Gerber LMF ASEKII
    1 flare
    2 lightsticks
    2 ponchos
    1 Gerber sport axe
    roughly 50' 550 paracord
    fire paste
    lint/waxed cardboard firestarters
    toilet paper
    2 trash bags (keep clothes in)
    Surefire G2 nitrolon
    spare 123 batteries

DSC00012.jpg

Medical (small bag on back of pack):
    Assorted band-aids
    Tylenol
    10 3"x3" gauze pads
    1 adhesive roll
    triple antibiotic ointment
    wisp toothbrushes
    box of butterflies

WHAT I NEED:
    tarp
    water purifier(on its way)
    something to heat water/cook in
    sleeping bag(on its way)
    more medical
    firesteel
    paper/pen
    water bladder(the bag has a pouch for one)

Well there you go, let me know what you guys think, I would really like some feedback so I can make this thing as good as I can.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    JOE WILLIAMS / INDIANAFINEST

JOE WILLIAMS / INDIANAFINEST
    I Thought that I had had my stuff together but after looking at you guys set up I realized that I could do a lot better . There are a couple of things I think I have you beat on but still Thats a matter of opinion . You guys have put alot of thought into it ............good luck .:rockwoot:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I bought this at Dick's Sporting Goods over the summer for $99.99.

p3643654dt.jpg

High Sierra Explorer 55L Internal Frame Pack - Dick's Sporting Goods

I was invited on my first backpacking camping trip. It was only for one night, but I wanted to get something large enough that I could use for a number of days if I wanted to. I was able to easily fit my tent, sleeping bag, change of clothes, food, and sleeping pad in the bag. I also had a small first aid kit, extra food for the other members of the trip, just in case they didn't bring enough, bug spray, personal hygiene items, and my water bottles and filter.

My tent was NOT designed for the backcountry, as it was a two person, 8-9 pound tent. I also made a PVC carrier for my fishing rod, and put the reel in the main bag.

The backpack held up very well, but I'll have to see how it works over time. The only problem that I see is that it's made for guys with a little more around the middle. For right now, that fits me to a T, but after I lose some weight I don't know if I'll be able to tighten the straps up enough to use it. We'll see when the time comes.

If I bought lighter gear, maybe trading the tent for a bivy bag, and packed smarter, I should be able to carry everything I would need for 3-5 days. It might not be comfortable, but I could probably make it work. If I needed to go longer, High Sierra makes a Long Trail pack that's almost twice as big as this one, for only $149.99.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Where's your water filters? Also magnesium rod? Salt and Pepper packets? You can eat almost anything with enough salt and pepper. Batteries and gps/compass? Maps (most are free) Small cook stoves? (That will work in the weather i.e. MSR pocket rocket) Sleeping bags earthy or camo in color. Wool clothing. Nothing says warmth like wool. Extra boot laces. I know this sounds funny, but I don't want to have to weave some new strings out of plant fibers when I am trying to gather food and fuel to survive.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Where's your water filters? Also magnesium rod? Salt and Pepper packets? You can eat almost anything with enough salt and pepper. Batteries and gps/compass? Maps (most are free) Small cook stoves? (That will work in the weather i.e. MSR pocket rocket) Sleeping bags earthy or camo in color. Wool clothing. Nothing says warmth like wool. Extra boot laces. I know this sounds funny, but I don't want to have to weave some new strings out of plant fibers when I am trying to gather food and fuel to survive.

Map. Forgot map. Thanks;)

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem

I have pretty much everything you have listed here in my bag, not sure if you read through my post it was kinda long. Boot laces ? Thats what the ol' mighty paracord is for !! lol

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Here is what I carry everywhere, everyday. Even in the house I go to it about a dozen times a day. It is purposely left about half empty to pack with mission specific gear and stuff I find along the way. It is loaded with things I know I will need instead of things that may be nice to have in some situations. This is my second line gear. It is intentionally subloaded so that I can grab and go with a smaller pack like the Go Bag Mini depending on my needs. One of my favorite parts of this back is the two huge internal mesh pockets that hold the gear I carry all the time keeping it organized and off the bottom of the pack allowing me to rip it open and add gear as needed.

Recently I took receipt of the Mission Pack from SoTech, one of my favorite purveyors of innovative nylon gear. Since the vast majority of SoTech gear is heavily geared towards those doing the Lord’s work in distant lands, I do my best to keep an eye out for their products that may have a broader appeal to the prepared citizenry at large. The Mission Pack is one of these products.

Only really having one picture of the pack to look at on the SoTech site, all I could really tell was that I liked the look of the pack specifically because it did not have lots of extra straps and MOLLE for show which seems to be the rage these days with some companies trying to get citizens to buy cool guy pseudo military gear.

Upon arrival, the first thing I noticed was the heavily padded ALICE type shoulder straps, a very enhanced version. Being a relatively big guy at 6’2, 290 lbs, I have always had a problem with finding packs with shoulder straps that fit because of my shoulder width. This pack has solved that issue. They are also very adjustable in many ways, including the sternum strap.

MPfrontview.jpg

packrear.jpg

packside.jpg

packwornfront.jpg

Another feature that jumped right out at me was the dual drag handles, which of course I had to immediately wrap with parachute cord. As far as MOLLE, the pack has two rows on the bottom, four on the bottom of the sides, and three on the bottom compartment on the back. None of it is useless or placed without reason. There are two cinch straps attached to the outside bottom compartment. The back features heavy duty zippers topped off with zipper pulls over molded with heavy plastic that not only silence them but allow use with gloves. This is the first pack I have ever had that did not get the zipper pulls cut off to be immediately replaced with parachute cord.

MPtopview.jpg

The top of the pack also features two hydration / commo slots protected by open-ended flaps for ease of access.

Opening the pack reveals the backside of the pack that has a two-inch wide Velcro strip allowing you to attach SoTech mission specific subloads. I happened to have a piece of webbing with elastic attached to it that was placed at the top of the Velcro strip of the pack. This is used to retain my RMJ Tactical Shrike Tomahawk, handle up, in the pack for easy accessibility. This is made rigid by a removable frame sheet. The flap side of the pack has two spacious heavy mesh pockets with a smaller version of the plastic zipper pulls. Also on the mesh is Velcro for attaching nametapes for identifying mission specific gear. This is great for things like first aid kits because they allow you to send someone to retrieve what you need in an emergency. For redundancy, all my FAKs have red parachute cord on them as well.

MPinsidepack.jpg

MPinsidemesh.jpg

MPinsideback.jpg

My two favorite things about the bag are the front pockets and the over all design of the bag. I use the bottom pocket for admin items like notebooks etc, and use a GP pouch from Diamondback Tactical to hold my Pelican Micro Cases that hold my Oakleys and camera as well as my Mechanix Gloves. The MOLLE on the front of the GP pouch is great for holding my Hinderer Kubaton pen, stainless Steel Sharpie and other pen like items. As pictured, the bottom pouch was designed to accept the SoTech Mission Go Bag that I have previously reviewed, even further increasing the overall usefulness of the pack. The top pocket is where I keep all the little things I use every day like medications, cigar accouterments and other sundry items. This pocket also contains a Velcro strip that I placed another panel with elastic loops on. It is great for things like my Surefire Backup light. These are the two pouches I “live” out of, and due to the overall design of the pack, I can access things while the bag is next to me on the car seat. It also provides a tiered set up when sitting on the ground allowing rapid location of most commonly used items.

Bottomloadout.jpg

It just so happens that the week after receiving the bag I had to leave on a 1600-mile road trip to the Blade Show in Atlanta. It has been my habit to use a three-day pack as my suitcase on trips, so I decided to put the Mission Pack to the test. With all my usual Bag of Evil contents in the bag, I was still able to pack my bathroom kit and four days of clothes in the main compartment of the bag. Even with the main compartment full, the bag was still very comfortable to carry. Because of using subloads, I was able to take out a few pouches into the front seat with me that I knew I would need along the way and stow the bag itself in the back.

Once at the show, I removed my clothes, hung them up, and continued to use the Mission Pack and a regular Bag of Evil.

This may be the best “backpack” I have ever owned. It fits me and serves my needs. A nice addition is that I know it had the normal bombproof construction that I have come to expect from SoTech. With an MSRP of $155, this is a bargain when compared to other packs in the same class.

SoTech

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you have no survival training and want some good gear lists and explanations of gear, 1st line through 4th, the book 6 ways in 12 ways out is a good read.

So is the USAF and Army survival books, sometimes on sale cheap at major book stores.

Books are good because you can sit down and read it over and over again and learn how the gear layers and determine exactly what fits your needs.

But if you knew nothing and followed 6 ways in, you would lack for nothing except for the proven ability to use the gear. That of course is on you.

Start with the ruels of 3 and build a kit that gives you water, fire and shelter. It can all fit in a nice pouch with a large knife.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    After reading a few different books lately, (One Second After, Patriots - Surviving the Coming Collapse) I've really been intrigued with the SHTF forums lately and have really been thinking about and planning to put together a few different bags for the different situations.

In my readings, I've come to realize I need a few different bags:

SHTF Bag - I guess I think of this one more as a "battle bug out bag", everything I need to get me and my family out of the city to the family farm.

Bug Out Bag (BoB): I think of this as my vehicle version, with a handgun/full size knife, survival 3 day-gear worth that I would have to rely on if there was no house to get home too.

Get Home Bag: This one is in the office. Someone limited due to employer restrictions. Probably based on a change of close, small survival kit, Leatherman, etc. Just enough to get me home if something happened on a day I road the bus or couldn't get to my vehicle (fire, riots, earthquake, etc).

Personal Survival/Safety Kit (PSK) - Your mini survival/first aid kit.

So let's play show and tell. I'm sure there are others who would benefit and learn from some of you who've already researched and put together different bags.

Post a video, or some pictures, or just describe the contents of your various "bags".

Hickaman look here

Top Bottom