• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    In looking through this thread, I have noticed that there really isn't any mention of clothing being in packs. Is this because you are planning to be wearing what you'll need, or do you segregate clothing from survival gear?
    If you look back through and see my list, you'll see clothing there.
    here's the list again, keep in mind the best winter clothing is going to be the layered approach, just like when you're hunting. If you wear all the clothes on my list, you'll be plenty warm just about anywhere in the lower 48.
    Plastic sheeting/tarps
    First aid
    Rations
    Tents
    Blankets(wool)
    Duct tape
    Water tablets
    Rope
    Paracord
    Mess kit
    Towels
    Vitamins
    Fishing kit
    Saw
    Bleach
    Emergency blanket
    1 Pair jeans
    1 Pair shorts
    1 Hoodie
    2 Short sleeve shirts
    1 Long sleeve shirt
    4 Pair socks
    1 Hat
    1 Pair gloves
    1 Pair sweats
    1 Medium weight coat
    Personal hygene
    Canteen/duty belt
    Knife
    Pocket knife/stone
    Fire kit
    Treats(for the kids)
    Spare handgun
    Rifle
    Ammo/magazines
    First aid
    Hatchet
    Shovel
    Sewing kit
    Binoculars
    Compass/Thermometer
    Paper/Pencil
    Good quality rain gear

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I don't have a BOB right now. Instead, I have what I call a "Could Be Worse" bag. Like, if you find yourself in a situation that sucks, but it "could be worse". You break down in the middle of nowhere and it's cold out, but if it were windy dtoo you would have a real emergency. Or if you are out hiking and get lost, but if it were raining too it would be a real emergency. Basically it's a little extra buffer for those situations where things are bad, but under the right conditions could become life-threatening.

I have a small bag--about the size of a fanny pack, but with a few extra organizers. In the front compartment I have:

a sunglasses
    a Bandanna
    a Powerbar
    an ink pen
    a plastic knife, fork, and spoon (not really for survival--I eat salads and chili from Wendy's and try not to waste plastic utensils)

In the first inner compartment I have:
    a notepad
    a mini flashlight
    some duct tape (wrapped around a piece of plastic)
    a lighter

In the second inner compartment I have:
    emergency blanket
    napkins
    hand warmers
    poncho
    waterproof wallet/pouch containing an index card with contact information, ten one dollar bills, and two dollars in quarters

I actually bought a backpack this weekend to build a proper BOB around, and when I get that filled out I'll post more details.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    My wife has been after me for years to get prepared to be able to 'survive' something. It wasn't untill a couple of weeks ago that I finally realized that bad times are coming. So I guess we are going to get ready afterall.

It is good to see what others are doing. It will help me in planning.

Thanks to all!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My train of thought started not only with all the crap going on, but back when that tornado ripped through south Indy. We realized we didn't have any kind of power to keep the food frozen or the sump pumps going.

After hauling water up from the basement to the bath tub for 6 straight hours, we knew we weren't prepared for anything. With all the floods we've had the last couple of years and the ice storm down in Kentucky that left people without power or water for quite some time, we started to wake up.

Picked up a generator, which I've actually used quite a bit when power has gone out, plus we stock up on Ice Mountain water. I get 4 or 5 5gallon bottles delivered each month (since we love it) and keep ten bottles stored.

That stuff was easy to explain to the wife, it makes sense. I also started taking the kids camping, made it easy to start stocking up on that kind of stuff.

Still collecting stuff for different bags and learn a lot from those who post here.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Cotton Kills – Cotton absorbs and holds moisture and thereby drains your body of heat. It has no insulating properties when wet and can lead to hypothermia. Cotton takes longer to dry than wool (which still provides warmth when wet) or polypro type fabrics.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Cotton Kills – Cotton absorbs and holds moisture and thereby drains your body of heat. It has no insulating properties when wet and can lead to hypothermia. Cotton takes longer to dry than wool (which still provides warmth when wet) or polypro type fabrics.
    Well, yes. If it gets wet. In the winter months that could be a problem(losing body heat), but I don't think in the winter months that I would be wearing jeans against my skin. When it's cold out, I tend to wear long johns or sweats under my jeans and they tend to wick very well. I'll keep my jeans in the bag since they have worked so well in International Falls MN for the vast majority of my life. Oh, then there's the rain gear that can be worn over the jeans to retain escaping heat......The fabrics you wear, from my personal experience aren't nearly as important as the way you LAYER them. The layered approach, as I've previously mentioned is the only way to survive severe cold. And trust me, I know all too well about severe cold.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well, yes. If it gets wet. In the winter months that could be a problem(losing body heat), but I don't think in the winter months that I would be wearing jeans against my skin. When it's cold out, I tend to wear long johns or sweats under my jeans and they tend to wick very well. I'll keep my jeans in the bag since they have worked so well in International Falls MN for the vast majority of my life. Oh, then there's the rain gear that can be worn over the jeans to retain escaping heat......The fabrics you wear, from my personal experience aren't nearly as important as the way you LAYER them. The layered approach, as I've previously mentioned is the only way to survive severe cold. And trust me, I know all too well about severe cold.
    You give exceptionally poor advice in regards to cotton. The question in all things is never if but when.

Cotton is called the death cloth for a reason. A reason that applies to all regions of the country in all seasons. Simply put you have not put the cotton jeans to the test.

Go jump in some water just knee to waist high in temps below freezing, even if temps are 70 above and you can end up with hypothermia. I don't care how many layers you are wearing, if one of them is cotton and you get wet. Each layer performs a job, even when soaked if you did it right. No amount of layers will keep you 100% dry in all situations. You must prep with being wet in mind.

Yeah yeah, international falls, BTDT many times, when I got my first serious survival training I crossed streams in North Dakota in January. BTDT camping down to 50 below at night, also in 100 below windchill during the days The one and only time I got hypothermia it was summer and I was wet, in MN too.

No reason to take over this thread, IF people want to discuss layering, someone will post it but cotton kills in all climates in all seasons.

It takes up less space and weight to carry a pair of synthetic pants with zip off legs and they are multipurpose.

Might as well argue Down verus synthetic fill sleeping bags too. I use a Wiggys because I am a fanatic about dealing with moisture.

tuocs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In looking through this thread, I have noticed that there really isn't any mention of clothing being in packs. Is this because you are planning to be wearing what you'll need, or do you segregate clothing from survival gear?

Well sir on my part, i do intend to stay on the same clothes i used that time "I bugged out," until such time i could get a myself some fresh clothings. I could really get smelly and dirty:D, but its a time of "shtf" as its called. So i wouldn't mind how i look and smell:):... Though i maintain a set of 1 tshirt, 1 pair socks, 1 underwear, and 1 sweater/jacket in my BOB/Fieldpack.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I'd love to see what others have. I'm slowly putting one together, I had a small pack several years ago, but i'm rebuilding it.

I check this thread often for ideas so keep em coming. thx

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I'd love to see what others have. I'm slowly putting one together, I had a small pack several years ago, but i'm rebuilding it.

I check this thread often for ideas so keep em coming. thx

I am rebuilding mine as well. I have one in my car currently, that I previously posted pics of. But, winter is coming and my girlfriend needs something in her car for emergencies. So, she is getting the Kelty Bag that I will specialize to her needs and wants. In that regards, I had to buy a new bag. So, when it gets here this week, I will start the build. Then post some pics.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I am thinking about making my first SHTF bag of any kinda. thanks hickman for this thread. Wish i had more pics. I cant even decide on a good backpack

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County

But, it's the fabric of our lives!

tuocs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    My 1-2day BOBpack during one of our disaster risk assessment.

DisasterRiskAssessment.jpg

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    A lot of good info from everyone and very helpful. It seems there is always someone that comes up with an item that I had not thought of. I was wondering about a casting net or seine net (or a dual purpose net of some type). I was thinking it might be more productive than using line and hook if you were to be creative on its' use.....thoughts?

Top Bottom