• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I recently had some Issues Re-sizing Hornady 243 Win brass & welcome suggestions/ideas on what may be causing this. Pertinents: I use Midway (Aerosol) Minute Lube & Imperial (Graphite) for Lubing the Neck area. The brass has been fired At Least Once (however, I don't know exactly how many times, since they were "Freebies")
    After the 1st indentation appeared, I thoroughly Cleaned the Re-sizing Die (I'm aware this issue can be the result of excessive Lube in the Die).
    After the 2nd Case came out Dmgd, I tried using some Nosler (Once fired) Brass with the Same Lube regiment & had No Problem.
    Is it Possible this issue is due to the Brass being "Soft" from Excessive previous Firings?
    If this is the case, I'll just Chuck the Hornady Cases-rather than loading them & Fire-Forming them back to original Shape.
    Below are pics of the Dmgd Cases.
    Thanks for any/all ideas!
    1644156473917.jpeg
    1644156712466.jpeg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    As you have pointed out, the pictures suggest hydraulic denting from too much lube. I use spray lube too and tend to use too much. Try applying a very thin film with your finger. Many non-spray lube manufacturers advise you to keep it off of the shoulder so try that too. If you have another type of non-spray lube like Lee or Imperial sizing wax, try those.

If your die has a vent hole, check it to be sure that it is not plugged.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    That dent will come out when you fire it, have had the same thing happen to me too, lube gets built up in die no where to go and hydraulic pressure does the rest, as to getting soft no it is actually the opposite-firing makes the brass on shoulder harder that is why it is annealed to keep it softer!

indianagenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Batesville

guardman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I recently had some Issues Re-sizing Hornady 243 Win brass & welcome suggestions/ideas on what may be causing this. Pertinents: I use Midway (Aerosol) Minute Lube & Imperial (Graphite) for Lubing the Neck area. The brass has been fired At Least Once (however, I don't know exactly how many times, since they were "Freebies")
    After the 1st indentation appeared, I thoroughly Cleaned the Re-sizing Die (I'm aware this issue can be the result of excessive Lube in the Die).
    After the 2nd Case came out Dmgd, I tried using some Nosler (Once fired) Brass with the Same Lube regiment & had No Problem.
    Is it Possible this issue is due to the Brass being "Soft" from Excessive previous Firings?
    If this is the case, I'll just Chuck the Hornady Cases-rather than loading them & Fire-Forming them back to original Shape.
    Below are pics of the Dmgd Cases.
    Thanks for any/all ideas!
    View attachment 180061
    View attachment 180062
    Too much case lube. youre causing a hydraulic dent. Your cases don't get soft with firings, they get harder each time you fire them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2022
    NJ
    you don't need to lube the shoulder. If you feel you do, I use Unique or Imperial wax, but very sparingly. I apply it on thumb index and forefinger evenly then on the case body and shoulder/neck

Last edited:

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    The case lube is mainly to keep case from getting stuck in die when it is sizing the case body.
    As others have said you do not need it on neck or shoulder, little if any at all.

Top Bottom