should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    The penalties for committing a felony include:

Time in jail
    A loss of your right to vote while in jail
    Fine
    Loss of your right to purchase a firearm
    Possible registration

I guess most of you don't have a problem with requiring child molesters to register as sex offenders even though their jail sentence is completed.

It is a known consequence of knowingly comitting a felony. How can anyone on here argue that consequences for committing felonies should be less? Maybe we should give them a hug.

If you are one of the few people that get caught committing a felony, you should pay the price that exists at the time the felony is committed.

Isn't that part of the argument against gun control? Rather than take them from law abiding citizens, we should fully prosecute those who misuse guns?

Are people on this site just so jaded against law enforcement or do they think the law should not apply to them or did I accidentally stumble into the Rehabilitate Our Criminals with Hugs forum???

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I don't know you, but you seem to be a fairly reasonable individual. I want to ask you a question, and would be pleased as punch if you answered it with a yes or a no.

Does the system ever make mistakes?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The penalties for committing a felony include:

Time in jail
    A loss of your right to vote while in jail
    Fine
    Loss of your right to purchase a firearm
    Possible registration

I guess most of you don't have a problem with requiring child molesters to register as sex offenders even though their jail sentence is completed.

It is a known consequence of knowingly comitting a felony. How can anyone on here argue that consequences for committing felonies should be less? Maybe we should give them a hug.

If you are one of the few people that get caught committing a felony, you should pay the price that exists at the time the felony is committed.

Isn't that part of the argument against gun control? Rather than take them from law abiding citizens, we should fully prosecute those who misuse guns?

Are people on this site just so jaded against law enforcement or do they think the law should not apply to them or did I accidentally stumble into the Rehabilitate Our Criminals with Hugs forum???

If we've decided that certain criminals are so dangerous that we must catalog and track them throughout the remainder of their lives (or even for ten years) once they are out of jail, why are they out of jail?

If we've decided that certain criminals are so dangerous that we can never again allow them to lawfully purchase firearms, then knowing as we do that criminals don't obey laws, why do we allow them out of an environment where there are no guns (because everyone knows that gun-free zones like prisons are very safe places where no violence ever happens...) and put them in an environment where they have access to not only guns but to knives and other objects both blunt and sharp?

GTI, if the courts were always correct and never misapplied a law to bolster a prosecutor's conviction rate, never ignored exculpatory evidence, never knowingly allowed manufactured "evidence" and never stacked a jury against a defendant, I might agree with you. I very firmly believe that nothing in the world will stop a criminal from committing a crime he is determined to commit other than a cell or a coffin. We either need to remove the determination to commit the crime or we need to remove the criminal from a situation where he might have method and opportunity to commit the crime for which he (thinks he) has motive.

In the case NYFelon has presented us (his own), according to the information he has given us, your phrase of "knowingly committing a felony" would not apply. The situation he described to us here is clearly self-defense, and any court in Indiana would so find and would have then as well. Is it your argument that he did not have the right to defend himself against a belligerent drunk who picked a fight and swung first?
    It seems to me that according to the information presented, his only "crime" was being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not just sitting back and allowing the drunk who happened to be an off-duty police officer to beat the snot out of him and his friends. According to the information we have, the officers on duty arrested him, the prosecutor charged him, the court would have convicted him had he gone to a full trial, and the jury, we presume, would have been given just enough information that "guilty" was the only answer they would give.

Too many things are "felonies" now, and therein lies much of the problem. That term has been so watered-down that it no longer has much meaning... not that a felony is necessary to remove your ability to lawfully exercise your 2A rights... All it takes is an accusation from a spouse, former spouse, former girlfriend, child of former girlfriend, etc., that you made a threat against that person, and you have a restraining order; no conviction, not even a trial at that point, but your exercise of your rights is restricted solely on the basis of an accusation. God forbid you actually be convicted of making such a threat against a former domestic partner, and you now are forever barred from owning your guns again. Do you truly think this is just?

When the courts are absolutely fair and ALL evidence can be heard and a jury not prejudiced by a court looking just to punish (in contrast to our state Constitution, BTW), then I might be willing to consider that the hard line you seem to take is valid. I cannot imagine myself ever accepting the justice of the position, however, that a former felon, even a violent one, should be barred from effectively defending him/herself once freed. If they commit a crime with that gun, I'd absolutely agree with an enhanced sentence, but mere possession? No, that's saying that the gun is what makes them "bad", and I just can't wrap my head around that.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Y'all are gonna make me blush, now cut it out. ;)

I didn't major in English grammar, but my mother was a school librarian. Whattayagonnado? :dunno:

Actually, I thought NYFelon said it better-his post was certainly more concise and to-the-point than mine was. Sometimes more explanation is a good thing. If I can ever figure out when those times are...

In all seriousness though, thank you all for the compliments and the reps as well, to those who've given them. Both are much appreciated.

Blessings,
    Bill

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    So if a guy rapes and assaults a woman with a knife then he should be allowed to buy a firearm after he gets out of prison? A lot of times you won't see a guy get over 20yrs for a crime like that. Also, what about his mental stability after he gets out? You have talked about incarceration so you must know the damage that it does to a person and their mental stability right?
    no he should be executed. :D

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Here, use mine.

ban_hammer.jpg

Top Bottom