• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I been using a shotgun for many years now, hunting, trap shooting and the such. I bought a Fox Sterlingworth when I was 16 and now used it until up when the DNR changed the steel shot laws on dove. My main load I used back then was just 1 1/8 of lead 7.5s at 1100 FPS. Steel shot came around, and I bought a Stroeger Uplander, which was a pretty decent gun, and I was able to half way hit with it, I was able to limit out under a box of shells with it. The biggest thing that I had an issue with is the grip, it felt too big. I sold this gun to a fellow INGOer. I then bought a new Winchester 101, gun felt good in my hand, pointed about like the fox. I get this thing into the field, and I mise well throw rocks at them. Birds were a little high, but I could still tell the color of them.
    i've patterned this gun with the shells I was using. Was just fine
    I mounted the gun and pointed it at a circle using 10 shots, majority of the pattern was about 1.5 inches over the circle

What would be your guy's/gals next step? Trap range? Gun Broker?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I suspect the 101 might be a significantly heavier gun than those SxS you mentioned? Assuming you've patterned it adequately and know there's nothing funny going on there, I'd say take it to the clays range and get used to the dynamics of swinging it.

Question - did you ever pattern the guns you used before? Your current point of impact sounds good for a field gun, but I have no way of knowing what kind of POI your face structure was creating on the stock of those side by sides.

Either way, 101s are nice guns...I sure wouldn't put it on Gun Broker until you've done some more work on the clays range to figure out any fit issues.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Unless I'm mistaken, steel shot on doves is only for state managed/owned property.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Twangbanger: The Sterlingworth is about 7.5 pounds, right along side the 101.
    I also did those side by sides, the stoeger hit about the same and the fox was right on the circle, but 1.5 inches isnt going to make me miss birds
    I really do like the 101, I figure I need to load up some shells and hit the clay range, be a good excuse anyways.

Bfish: I do not have the luxury of hunting dove on non managed properties.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok. Yeah, I think I'd just shoot it more. We all go through these "confidence" issues with guns from time to time, and it leads to a lot of gun-trading. But field shooting can simply skunk you sometimes. I think you'd be pizzed at yourself, eventually, for getting rid of that gun without giving it a real good chance. I believe it takes me 5,000 shots at least to "learn" a new gun, so if it's a nice one and I have some investment in it and am dedicated to using it, I try not to move them down the road before that. (Might mike the bores if you haven't already, and make sure a previous owner didn't have them monkeyed with).

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    You didn't mention anything about choke constriction but I must assume you are comparing "apples to apples." Is the 101 a fixd choke or choke tube gun ? My experience with a 101 is somewhat limited but I had a friend who owned four guns - 12, 20, 28, and .410. As I recall they were all fixed choke guns.

As you stated the gun patterned well I can only assume there is something about the gun that doesn't fit you well. Most probably the drop at comb.

If it were me I'd sell it and buy a REM 1100 for bird hunting and change either chokes or barrels or both for different species.

best of luck

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I did use the same choke i tested.

The gun hasn't been messed with, I bought it NEW (one of the FN 101's)

I think i found the problem, the stock seems a little bit short, I made a make shift spacer, and then played with the mounting and it seemed to be a good bit better.

Top Bottom