• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Back in 1969, my grandfather was dying from lung cancer, and the hospital sent him home for his final days. As you can imagine the whole family was very emotional and on edge.

During this time, living in the area, there was a group of young men, who thought they were really bad, and decided to terrorize the countryside. Realize this was in the back hills of Kentucky, 1969. Every family not only had multiple guns, but most were proficient in their use.

These young a-holes would race up and down the back roads screaming, blowing their horns, shooting any outside lights, and harassing anyone that interfered with them. At that time, the only police around was a sheriff and two deputies, for the whole county.

Anyway this had been going on every few days, for about a month. They always went up the road, then came back, after turning around, a few minutes later. As my grandfather lay dying, the kids came screaming by in their pickup truck and shot out the front porch light. My grandmother finally snapped.

At this time I would like to point out that my grandmother was not a woman you really wanted to **** off. She hunted meat for the table with my grandfather, and I saw her shoot the heads off of two chickens with one shot, to save ammo.

After they shot out her front light, she had had enough. She went to the gun rack, grabbed Grandpa's 10 ga and went out stand beside a tree, in the apple orchard that lay beside the road.

When those boys came back screaming and shooting, she unloaded on the side of their truck. My father saw the truck later and said it was a perfect shot between the bench seat and the truck bed. Those boys ran off the road, jumped the ditch, took out a fence, then made it back to the road, and beat the hell out of Dodge.

To the day she died my grandmother regretted that night. She was afraid one of those boys had seen her in her flannel night gown!

I thought of Grandma Miller today when I read a post where a member's mother wanted a shotgun, and a lot of people posted that she should get a youth 20 ga. My Grandma would have thought that hilarious.

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    That is a great family story. My Grandmother was a Miller too! She had the same attitude.
    My ancestors traveled through KY and settled in MO. We were all just Ozark Hillbillies. And yes, Hillbillies is capitalized.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    That's a great story. My grandmother was from Kentucky also. When she went fishing she carried her pistol in what we would call a thigh rig.

She did not like snakes interrupting her fishing day.:ar15:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In the 60s, my family used to rent farm land from an old Lady named May Yeager. She lived alone in the back country of Southern Indiana. Her husband had died in the mid 30s. She never remarried. She had a mint 1932 Ford Roadster up on blocks stored in one of her barns last driven by her late husband. She nor her son would sell the car.

Anyway, she always had a shotgun near her at all times. When ever I would go over to do work I would alway go to her back door and yell out who I was and what I was there for. I don't think she could see very well.

I'll remember forever seeing her standing outside of her back door with her shotgun in her hands watching me walk away. She was truely a Great Lady.

I still wish she would have sold me her car.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Grandma's mother was a Crockett, her mother was a great-niece of Davy. Grandma was proud of her heritage. Grandpa Miller was a sharpshooter/sniper in WWII. They made a good match.

Top Bottom