• dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    FB_IMG_1440209102888.jpg

Is this a handgun or shotgun?

I'm being told it's a shotgun because it was manufactured as a shotgun. But with the ic the definition if a handgun is IC 35-47-1-6 "Handgun"Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:(A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or(B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

I'm not so sure because: "designed or ADAPTED to be aimed or fired from the hand."

As well as the court ruling estep vs the state of Indiana.

Thoughts? I know a thread like this is around here somewhere but I haven't seen it for a few years.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If the barrel length is indeed 18"+, and it left the factory with a buttstock (which I guarantee it did), it's still a shotgun.

Its just been nipped at both ends

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Still has the forearm which could be seen as it is still intended to be fired using 2 hands, which would contradict section 1.

I'm no lawyer though. One reason I changed majors in college was business law. I'm just trying to mix gun reasoning and the law. Which.....seems to never to really make sense.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    OK so could be, meaning also could not be. Lol. So it's possible, this would be the type of thing that you'd have to be charged with and taken to court I guess?

Top Bottom