• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Ok guys I am looking to get into 3 gun this season and the biggest component I'm missing right now is the shot gun. In looking it seems like there is the moss erg 930 jm which is what I have ordered but I'm curious if there is a better option in the same price range. I've seen all hit or miss reviews on the mossberg. I've come to the conclusion the follower is a week spot in the design but that can be fixed quite easily.

Any opionions on on that shot gun?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    FN SLP is what I would be looking at. I have fired a bunch a shottys and spent a lot of cash over the years. Was blown away how fast and accurately both me and my wife could shoot the thing. Extremely soft shooting. I sold off all my shot guns and plan on getting one soon.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Stoeger M3000 is what I'd be looking at in that price range. Plenty of aftermarket support now for that gun, and a guy in Washington is turning out very nicely race-ready models for decent prices as well - MOA Precision, LLC - Stoeger Shotgun and AR Parts, Precision Machining, Parkerizing, Grants Pass, Oregon - MOAPrecision.com If you want to do some work yourself (cutting the loading port, smoothing the action tube), you can have a really nice reliable shotgun for less than the factory Mossberg. Here's an Enos thread with about as much info as anyone could want on setting one up for competition - Stoeger M3000 Scattergun? - Shotgun - Technical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    FN SLP is what I would be looking at.

I have an SLP and it is a great shotgun. It's basically a beefier Winchester SX3. It is not without its quirks though. It uses invector chokes which are kinda out dated now and expensive, it is not self regulating. You have to change the piston for lighter or heavier loads, but it is very quick to change and simple to do. It does run very clean and has very little recoil and has been flawless since day one as long as the right piston is in it for the load your running. Light loads will not cycle the heavy pistons and the ones it comes with are medium and heavy which cover 90% of what most people shoot for field or hunting, but if you want to run cheap bulk low brass for fun you have to buy the light piston separate and it's 50 bucks or so. Still it's a great shotgun and is built like a tank. But it's not the most current model on the shelves anymore.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have an SLP and it is a great shotgun. It's basically a beefier Winchester SX3. It is not without its quirks though. It uses invector chokes which are kinda out dated now and expensive, it is not self regulating. You have to change the piston for lighter or heavier loads, but it is very quick to change and simple to do. It does run very clean and has very little recoil and has been flawless since day one as long as the right piston is in it for the load your running. Light loads will not cycle the heavy pistons and the ones it comes with are medium and heavy which cover 90% of what most people shoot for field or hunting, but if you want to run cheap bulk low brass for fun you have to buy the light piston separate and it's 50 bucks or so. Still it's a great shotgun and is built like a tank. But it's not the most current model on the shelves anymore.

You are correct. I did have a few issues running the ultra cheap low brass Winchesters. My 1500 dollar Benelli wouldn't shoot them reliably either. No big deal I bought some Federal cheap low brass and that solved the problems. Problem was with the crimp on the Winchesters and they also didn't have enough power to cycle. Sometimes they fail to feed due to crappy crimp so I shucked them through an 870.

I am sure there are newer options out there. It would take a lot of talking and shooting to get me to buy anything else. Wish somebody made a good .20 ga. tactical auto loader like the SLP. Trying to consolidate calibers and like the .20 better so I have not yet bought the SLP.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The stoger is the new hot **** right now. Look up Jesse Tischauser's posts about it.

Personally, I like the NON JM 930. I bought one before the JM was available, special ordered a 24" barrel, bought a modified lifter, nordic component extension, nordic magazine clamp, and nordic bolt knob. I haven't messed around with the JM edition, but word is that you need to make a couple modifications to make the function flawlessly.

I highly recommend going over to Enos and looking at their shotgun thread.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am sure there are newer options out there. It would take a lot of talking and shooting to get me to buy anything else

Oh don't get me wrong. By all means get an SLP I love mine, its my do it all shotgun and wouldn't trade it for any other auto shotgun on the market. I highly recommend it. It's just a bit quirky but nothing that can't be learned through training.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Te thing is here as much as I like the Benelux and other brands I can't drop that much money right now.

Get a used 870 pump gun then and run it for the time being and keep saving. You will always get your cash right back out of the pump when your done or keep it as a beater gun and stash it someplace. You get what you pay for is true. Buy once and cry once.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    For what im paying for the mossy I'll only be about 200 over what I'd pay for the 870. I think I've tracked down most of the issues with the 930. Seems pretty hit or miss though.

Next xt year I can get into something a little bit fancier I think.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    Stoeger M3000 is what I'd be looking at in that price range. Plenty of aftermarket support now for that gun, and a guy in Washington is turning out very nicely race-ready models for decent prices as well - MOA Precision, LLC - Stoeger Shotgun and AR Parts, Precision Machining, Parkerizing, Grants Pass, Oregon - MOAPrecision.com If you want to do some work yourself (cutting the loading port, smoothing the action tube), you can have a really nice reliable shotgun for less than the factory Mossberg. Here's an Enos thread with about as much info as anyone could want on setting one up for competition - Stoeger M3000 Scattergun? - Shotgun - Technical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I would second this ^^^^^^^^^^

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If you decide to get a 930, pm me.

It's already ordered.

Looks like the the musts are a better follower. A really good cleaning right out of the box and I'll do my normal polishing and fitting to any internal parts. Should have the lifter welded up almost immediately as well.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Get the Teflon follower from Nordic. Call crums and get their lifter. Take the magazine tube off (non Jm version), Polish the exterior. Take the bolt and carrier out. Make sure the extractor is cut clean without burrs. Polish all bearing surfaces on the carrier. Take the trigger group out, drill and tap a hole under the rear face of the trigger and put a set screw in there. This will allow you to adjust the trigger preteavel. While the trigger group is out, put the receiver on a mill and widen the loading port according to the way you plan on loading (quad load/load two, vs strong/weak hand). Take the recoil spring out and properly line it using white lithium. Look at the gas port on the barrel. Hand turn a drill bit in it to make sure that there isn't a burr in it.

this is all I can think of right now. I've done this to several of these 930's and they have all functioned flawlessly. Also, avoid federal bulk ammo.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You are correct. I did have a few issues running the ultra cheap low brass Winchesters. My 1500 dollar Benelli wouldn't shoot them reliably either. No big deal I bought some Federal cheap low brass and that solved the problems. Problem was with the crimp on the Winchesters and they also didn't have enough power to cycle. Sometimes they fail to feed due to crappy crimp so I shucked them through an 870.

I am sure there are newer options out there. It would take a lot of talking and shooting to get me to buy anything else. Wish somebody made a good .20 ga. tactical auto loader like the SLP. Trying to consolidate calibers and like the .20 better so I have not yet bought the SLP.

There is the Mossberg SA-20 (verify model number?), which is essentially a 20 ga version of the 930. Available in different configurations as well.

Top Bottom