• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Depending on who bad it is I thing I'd get some Cold Blueing and touch it up. I have used Birchwood Casey's before. Especially if you are prone to scratching it. You can touch it up easily. It's not as durable but it's a usable finish.

Kentuckyblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2014
    Hendricks County
    +1 on touch up with the Birchwood Casey's, if you use your guns, they will not stay pristine. I really like mine to look nice, but some things just happen. Unless it is a really big ugly looking scratch, {like falling off the car roof while driving ugly} I would just do the touch up thing.

fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    I have seen the touch up pens...is it hard to match the color? Ive seen a blue touchup pen that dries a blue black, and a super black touchup pen...which one would be best for a somewhat matte finish shotgun? Its more of a charcoal color instead of jet black.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Charcoal finish sounds like its parkerized? In that case go to radio shack and buy some etching solution and apply to the scratched area with a qtip. Leave on for a couple minutes and THOUROUGHLY wash with water to neutralize the acid. It should look the same as the surrounding.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Charcoal finish sounds like its parkerized? In that case go to radio shack and buy some etching solution and apply to the scratched area with a qtip. Leave on for a couple minutes and THOUROUGHLY wash with water to neutralize the acid. It should look the same as the surrounding.

I etch my own circuit boards. I have lots of ferric chloride around. Hmm. I'm gonna have to try that!

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Total thread hijack here... :hijack:

Awesome instructable about a better alternative to Ferric Chloride: Stop using Ferric Chloride etchant! (A better etching solution.)

HCl + H2O2: much easier on Mother Nature, easier to procure, and gets stronger with use.

Back to the topic-at-hand: for small scratches, the cold-blue formulas are what you're looking for to touch up the finish. Won't be an exact match, but it will be closer than shiny bare metal, and you won't see it on a galloping horse. For rust prevention (or in the meantime), CLP or similiar is the way to go. If it's a field gun, it WILL get scratched, so don't worry too much about it. Well-used is an attractive look on machinery.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Total thread hijack here... :hijack:

Awesome instructable about a better alternative to Ferric Chloride: Stop using Ferric Chloride etchant! (A better etching solution.)

HCl + H2O2: much easier on Mother Nature, easier to procure, and gets stronger with use.

Back to the topic-at-hand: for small scratches, the cold-blue formulas are what you're looking for to touch up the finish. Won't be an exact match, but it will be closer than shiny bare metal, and you won't see it on a galloping horse. For rust prevention (or in the meantime), CLP or similiar is the way to go. If it's a field gun, it WILL get scratched, so don't worry too much about it. Well-used is an attractive look on machinerny.

I have tried that. The fumes are unreal. It corroded a couple of microphones that were near it. It does etch very well though. It also doesn't keep it's potency very long. You have to keep adding H2O2 to it every time you use it. I have Ferric Chloride I have had for 15 years. If I can't get my hands on the real stuff I will use it.

Top Bottom