• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    My father is in his 70's. Likes to shoot trap but says he has trouble holding up his current gun (don't know model, can get it though). Any advice on a lightweight replacement that's appropriate for the sport?

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    My father is in his 70's. Likes to shoot trap but says he has trouble holding up his current gun (don't know model, can get it though). Any advice on a lightweight replacement that's appropriate for the sport?

Unfortunately lighter shotguns recoil harder, so a lighter shotgun may require more lightly loaded shell or different gauge. A 28 gauge or .410 might be required to keep the recoil low enough to shoot a round of trap.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    20 gauge semi auto but it would help to know what he shoots now and how long it is. Sadly trap gets tough in old age.

In my youth a mentor of mine went to an 1100 for trap when he started really slowing down. I swear he broke some clays at the top of the grass.

In recent times a friend of mine who is in his late sixties went to a Benelli Vinci for sporting clays but for less recoil he uses a Beretta. In general the recoil operated Benelli guns can be lighter then the gas operated Betettas or Remingtons. To celebrate my old age I am looking at the new Benelli Ethos. All the above are 12's.

My Brother got an insane deal on a used Vinci super sport. Surprisingly sweet shooter for its weight.

Life is a compromise. I shoot my Benelli and Beretta 20's more often to give my shoulder a rest. It's better then not shooting at all.

My wife needs a lighter gun out front due to her weak hand forearm being previously snapped. She prefers to shoot 12 so semi auto is best for her. She keeps picking up a light weight O/U of mine and she won't admit the beating she is taking with it.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A semiauto will absorb more of the energy in the action and allow the gun to be a bit lighter. Of course there are light target loads with reduced recoil, so you can shave some more off. There are some pretty light 20s to train the kids on, that may be the way to go. 28 is still popular in Europe, but here it's harder to find than 16; I know because I look hard enough for the 16 and I've seen a box or two, but you may be able to find an old gun and get some target loads online.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    My wife uses a Beretta 391 Urika 20ga with WinLite loads. It is super light and kicks like a kitten.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would say go with a 20 or maybe even a 28 gage that will be lighter for him and hopefully not recoil too much for him. It may not be the most ideal for trap but if he can shoot, he can shoot. I've shot some 28 gage shotguns that were a dream to shoot, super light and didn't recoil whatsoever.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I would say go with a 20 or maybe even a 28 gage that will be lighter for him and hopefully not recoil too much for him. It may not be the most ideal for trap but if he can shoot, he can shoot. I've shot some 28 gage shotguns that were a dream to shoot, super light and didn't recoil whatsoever.

Advocating shooting the 28 ga presumes the shooter is either financially well off or is a reloader. 28 ga shells sell for $10+ per box even on sale.

The 12 ga. can be loaded down to 3/4 oz. using the correct Claybuster wad. A 3/4 oz. load probably isn't good for anything but 16 yard targets unless the the shooter is really adept and is using an extra full choke. Another potential solution is to obtain a stock with one of the various recoil reducing devices that are available on the market. An auto loader is bound to be lighter than an over and under shotgun and since doubles shooting doesn't sound like it's in the cards having a "second" shot would not be a requirement.

Perhaps starting some type of resistance training could be implemented. Speaking as someone who is collecting social security I can testify that losing muscle mass is a stark reality. Good luck in helping your dad find a workable solution.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Advocating shooting the 28 ga presumes the shooter is either financially well off or is a reloader. 28 ga shells sell for $10+ per box even on sale.

Not really. Online I was seeing a lot of prices in the 30-60 cents/round range, even in box quantities, easily comparable to 12ga. I'd still go with a light 20, just easier all around. By the OP, his issue isn't just the recoil.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE

If you can find an old Remington model 17, or an Ithica model 37 featherlight in 20gauge. Good luck in your quest. WHATEVER you do don't go with a single barrel H&R or NEF- they kick like a mule no matter what the gauge...

Last edited:

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Unfortunately lighter shotguns recoil harder, so a lighter shotgun may require more lightly loaded shell or different gauge. A 28 gauge or .410 might be required to keep the recoil low enough to shoot a round of trap.

This is not necessarily always the case. There are many variables and factors. I said it before, will say again. Ithica Model 37 featherlight in 20 gauge.

Top Bottom