• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    I'm looking to shorten down my 26" 870 barrel and have it threaded for chokes. I'm only wanting to go down to around 21-22" so no legal / NFA issues but I cant find a gunsmith local to do it. Anyone have any good ideas? I'm located in Clay county about 20 miles from the Illinois line. I was going to use Darrells custom firearms in Cayuga but I've called 4 different days this week and never gotten an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    IF it is a vent rib barrel best to leave it alone.

If a regular contour barrel should not be that big of a deal then reattaching the front bead.

Still at todays labor rates and the availability of barrels could you not just get one in the lenght and chokes you want. Should be about the same overal cost. You got two barrels at the twist of a knob.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have seen vent rib bbls cut to 21" or so (wherever the rib ends and looks right).
    They however were left wide open (no mods for any type of choke).

Adding chokes to that area might mean Truchokes, which are thinner and of short length.

Remchoke bbls have a bit more material at the end, flare out a bit. Browing Invector bbls do the same- some purists hated choke tube bbls for the disruption in "lines".

IMHO better to just sell your bbl and buy a 21" factory Remchoke bbl. That was a matte version of turkey bbl, not uncommon to see on used rigs or seperated.

If you are wanting polished, then any 21" Remchoke bbl would moist likely be for a Special Field and on 870's those don't swap out with other models. The mag tube is shorter on a Special Field, so the bbl ring is farther back (on 1100's the forend holds the bbl on and the rings are in the same place for Special or regular models).

There may have been some polished Hastings bbls of short length, or maybe waaaaaaaay back a full sized 870 12 gauge sold as youth model (yes they made them, haven't seen one in years though, IIRC those from around '80).

If you can tolerate a matte bbl..........you should be able to sell yours and get a Remchoke, for less than $100 diff. IIRC Truchoke installation is gonna run at least that, old price IIRC was most guys charging $150 (and that a few yrs back).

Might wanna call Dom @ B&M Specialties (Speedway IN) 317-291-6558

He should be at the next 1500 (if he's still in biz).

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Cant find a barrel for sale in 21" length. Closest I find is 24" slug barrels or 18.5" cylinder bore. I checked at Buds and Cabelas and Mossberg and Gunbroker. Couldn't get the Hastings website to load but didn't see that length for sale anywhere. Yes it is a vent rib but I wasn't going to spend another $500 to hunt turkeys.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Briley is expensive, but their machinists are some of the most experienced at this type of work if there is no factory option for what you want. I had them do an H&R that I paid $79 for but I wanted a 20" turkey barrel with screw in chokes, so off it went.

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Well it looks like I may send my barrel to brileys. That way I know it will be done right. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Top Bottom